HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 1:32 PM

Also remember the point of this thread was specifically to show Detroit's grit and decay, not to say "this is Detroit". This is all real, and it is an aspect of Detroit, just as it is an aspect of many other cities. Other aspects of Detroit are shown in other threads.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 1:52 PM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Also remember the point of this thread was specifically to show Detroit's grit and decay, not to say "this is Detroit". This is all real, and it is an aspect of Detroit, just as it is an aspect of many other cities. Other aspects of Detroit are shown in other threads.
Exactly!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:51 AM
Closed account

Interesting. This style of derelict home could easily be on the east side of Kansas City, MO.

Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 7:09 AM
Here we stAy

Whoa. I've never seen a whole industrial park abandoned, but enough has been said about the decline of industry there.

Can't wait for the subsequent threads to see the better side of the city.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:46 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Hudkina, given that your love for Detroit is so apparent and real estate is available there for next to nothing, why do you not live there? Living in its suburbs and going to Wayne State don´t count. Michi puts his money where his mouth is, why don´t you?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:31 PM
Honored Member

I do live in "Detroit". It may not be in the municipal boundaries as set in the 1920's, but for all intents and purposes Detroit is a "city" of 4 million people whether or not they live in one municipality or another. My family has lived in the Downriver area for well over 100 years and that's where I grew up. I can't help it that they settled there as opposed to in the city, and I don't see why its such a big deal. Hell, I work with people who live in the city who don't go downtown nearly as often as I do.

Having said that, I do plan on getting an apartment near my school in the next year or so. The only problem is that there aren't many within my price range that allow dogs.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:12 PM
Registirred User

Holy man these are amazing photos, sir Herodotus. Thanks for covering that area of Detroit for us!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 11:44 PM
Editor

Great pictures. The fist half of the thread looks very much like a small American town that's been in decline, like a mining town or something. Amazing that it's in the middle of a city.

I wonder if Bush has ever seen this kind of stuff?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 12:09 AM

Great phototour, I think some people on here are getting the wrong idea -- most of Detroit doesn't look like this.

I've been through many parts of Detroit that do look like this but I've never been fearful for my safety mainly because there are so few people in these neighbourhoods.

We can't really blame the city leaders for this...there's no money for tearing down vacant buildings, the tax base can no longer support the infrastructure, and the social issues that caused this problem in the first place weren't their fault.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 12:57 AM
(the rascacielo freak)

Setting the danger of falling over and cutting yourself on broken glass.... I'd say this looks like a very safe place.

Why???

Because there are NO HUMANS in these pictures. Who's there to rob you, shoot you, cut you, rape you, or whatever???

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:11 AM
Hammer'd

Wow. Amazing pictures. I thought I knew grit and urban decay from living in Hamilton but Detroit is just brutal. I do love it though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:43 AM
Detroit Love

More than any other city people have this almost morbid fascination with Detroit's decay. While the images of this city's down fall the urban prairies, the abandoned buildings are very compelling and very real parts of this city. It's not the only thing that defines this city, unfortunately, it hard break that cylce when ever portrayal in the mass media is negative. Just look a how the city is shown in movies, whether old or new they show the city as one giant ghetto.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:15 AM

Hi, I'm Buffalo. Have we met?

Seriously amazing photos. Reminds me a lot of certain parts of Buffalo (my home town). It's a shame that some of these buildings which would be pounced on as real estate goldmines in many other parts of the country are left to rot in rust belt cities.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos