HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

View Poll Results: What is the most compelling UBC project or proposal?
University Town 33 31.73%
University Boulevard 33 31.73%
Museum of Anthropology Expansion 11 10.58%
UBC Winter Sports Centre 11 10.58%
Irving K. Barber Learning Centre 6 5.77%
Sauder School of Business building redevelopment 10 9.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 5:47 AM

has anyone read todays 24 hours - the letters section - lol

not in favour of UBC protesters

haha

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:38 AM

mrX i wish i could go but i have to take some dumb math proficiency test on friday so i can take stats this summer and finally get a real job in planning.

somebody needs to show those dumb asses whats up. i swear they just protest shit cause its the thing to do

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:57 AM
Site 8 Lives

Saturday » April 19 » 2008

UBC students approve higher fees to pay for new building
Green $120-million student building will replace aging facility

Chad Skelton
Vancouver Sun

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Students at the University of B.C. have voted narrowly in favour of a big fee increase in order to pay for a $120-million student building that will be bigger and more environmentally friendly than the current 1960s-era facility.

UBC's student association, the Alma Mater Society, has been working for the past year on a proposal to replace the aging Student Union Building -- or SUB -- where campus groups hold meetings and students socialize.

The AMS convinced UBC administration to chip in $40 million if students paid the remaining $80 million.

Financing would require each student to pay a special $20 "SUB renewal" fee next fall. The fee would rise by $10 each year after that until 2017, when it would max out at $110.

That fee would then stay in place until the debt from the new building is completely paid off, something the AMS estimates won't happen until 2044.

In late March, the issue was put to UBC students in a referendum.

About 14,000 students voted -- roughly a third of all students -- with 55 per cent voting in favour and 45 per cent against.

AMS president Michael Duncan, a fourth-year math student, said he was happy students voted in favour of the proposal, saying the current building doesn't meet the university's needs.

"It's pretty gross. It was built back in the 1960s and it is a concrete bunker," he said. "It's a very confusing building and hard to get around. ... It's a maze. You can't find where you're going."

Duncan said the society hopes construction can begin on the new building in a couple of years and will be operational by 2014.

It will be built south of the current SUB, so that the old building can continue to operate while the new one is under construction.

The new building will be 280,000 square feet, compared to the current 205,000.

The AMS has pledged that the new building will be energy efficient and friendly to the environment.

However, aside from a few conceptual drawings, there aren't yet any detailed plans of what the new building will look like, or what energy-saving features it will incorporate.

The way the new fee is structured, the current students who approved it will not bear its full, $110-a-year brunt.

The AMS thought that was fair, said Duncan, since most students attending UBC today won't get to use the new building.

Duncan acknowledged many students were opposed to the size of the fee increase.

"Yes, it's a huge fee, but there are ways to justify it," he said.

An editorial on the issue in the UBC student paper The Ubyssey last month agreed that the SUB needed some renovations, but questioned whether such a costly alternative was required.

"There's something to be said for financial prudence," the editorial stated. "And that, sadly, is what the proposed ... plan is lacking."

cskelton@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:14 AM
sparky

^ "south of the current SUB" - over the proposed underground bus terminal?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:32 AM

Quote:
"It's[the sub] pretty gross..."
true that!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:03 PM
testify

thanks for the awesome news about the referendum.

one of the greatest things about the ams building a new sub will be that it *won't* be a university project. and as this is the case, for $120 million on 280,000 sqf, we should get a very very nice building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:34 PM

I wouldn't assume that the university will take a hands off approach to the new SUB project. They are putting in $40 million and the land. This will be a university project on some level I imagine.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:44 PM

Can someone please assure me that the blue tint on the windows of Ike Barber's lobby is temporary? It's probably the only thing I don't like about the building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:17 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I wouldn't assume that the university will take a hands off approach to the new SUB project. They are putting in $40 million and the land. This will be a university project on some level I imagine.
don't try to depress me pal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

I love the basment of SUB...so quintessentially university student.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:21 AM

To members of KNO TO THE KNOLL

Today at 9:43pm
Hello Kno to the Knollers,

This is just a reminder to all of you that Kno to the Knoll will be holding a good ol' fashion pub night tomorrow at Koerner's Pub at 7:30-8pm.
We hope you will all come out and join us in peaceful protest against the knoll and those hippies, who are apparently holding their own protest this same night.

Build Bus Loop Now! P.F. Changs for all!

BTW, the hippies who were "oppressed" by the police a few weeks ago are crazy enough to make a documentary about it [warning, watching this will kill brain cells]:
Video Link

A must see. The SDS (knoll hippies) swarming former Liberal MP for UBC/Point Grey. As he's trying to listen to hear them out, they shout allegations with a megaphone at him. Remember; its all about democracy and student voices.

Behold the magnitude of stupidity.

Video Link

Don't you love how these guys don't even let him respond, and they feel intimidated if they don't use a megaphone? Typical hippies.

Somebody get China to roll in the fucking tanks.

Last edited by mr.x; Apr 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:52 AM
BANNED

here's a animation of one of the concepts prepared by Cannon Design

the main building has a curved glass facade, will be five storeys in height and have a green roof (which will probably not be accessible to the public), the knoll will be moved a bit south, probably be some retail space, lots more student space and the pit pub may be moved there too

Last edited by lightning; Jan 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:58 AM

awkward

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 3:06 AM

It really is awkward....and the knoll??? gah.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:10 AM

I work at UBC everyday and am rather impressed by this SUB redesign. However, kowtowing to the ludicrously naive demands of the knoll protesters is beyond me. Someone needs to teach these kids that a simple hill is not THE issue of our times signifying so conclusively the triumph of corporatism over the general good. Get fucking real. It's a hill at the university, which as a student I remember sitting on only once or twice. Meanwhile the proposed underground bus loop and related development represent a major improvement on campus, in terms of not only accessibility for transit but also for the interminably lackluster esthetics of that whole area as well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:12 AM

Perhaps if we all grew up in West Van or Point Grey and felt such a burning, image/ego-driven need to posture ourselves as promoters of the social good we would fall under similar illusions as to what that really entails.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:18 AM

Well, at least the knoll protesters will have stories to tell their grandchildren if they indeed do decide to procreate and cause another Earth killing human to be born.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Perhaps if we all grew up in West Van or Point Grey and felt such a burning, image/ego-driven need to posture ourselves as promoters of the social good we would fall under similar illusions as to what that really entails.
I grew up in Point Grey all my life.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:42 PM
testify

lol, you guys and your knoll protesters.

anyway, thanks lightning, i was wondering how it all turned out. this is actually something i'm pretty excited about, the sub really is a scandalous bit of blight, and it'll be fantastic once it's a bright, interesting space. hopefully this doesn't go the way of 'university town'...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

strangely awesome

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver