HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:42 AM
World Traveler

Even if it had soundproofing, it wouldn't be 100%. The reality is that if you want to stay in a hotel next to a massive entertainment district that is legendary for music - both outdoor and indoor concerts - you deal with the music. There's not really much else to think about for me. It just goes with the location.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Even if it had soundproofing, it wouldn't be 100%. The reality is that if you want to stay in a hotel next to a massive entertainment district that is legendary for music - both outdoor and indoor concerts - you deal with the music. There's not really much else to think about for me. It just goes with the location.
Yeah, well, maybe the Westin folks did not think things through when they built at that location. It took long enough to finish the building, so you might think that sound insulation was part of the construction package. Not everybody booking that hotel will do so because of the location next to Sixth St. A lot of folks coming to town will book for the Westin brand, or their reservations will be make for them by corporate travel offices. Sixth St. is not going to quiet down for the hotel. That seems pretty clear to me. I think the Westin folks will need to spend some money on this problem, or they will end up regularly discounting rooms on that side of the building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:03 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, that's true. I am surprised it wasn't taken into consideration - it's not like it's their first hotel. In any case, like you said, I wouldn't be surprised if they sink more money into the rooms to soundproof them now that it's become such an issue.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 11:10 PM

Westin to pay for sound mitigation inside The Nook nightclub

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The Westin was suing for $1 million and ends up paying in the end
I think this was a fair settlement. I'm just glad there is total clarification on the matter so this sort of bs doesn't happen again.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
On the other hand, if a live music venue wants to set up shop in a neighborhood where neighbors may take issue with live music, the venue needs to provide the sound mitigation. In this case, The Nook was in operation first, thus the burden of sound mitigation is placed on the Westin, according to the principle.
(from the above link)

I think this is clarified well also. I do think that the Westin should also provide sound mitigation for their rooms as they're obviously still going to hear a lot from other clubs and venues in the area...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin