HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:09 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This building: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88190...7i13312!8i6656

They initially put tin siding up almost everywhere, but the city made them take it down and replace it with approved materials (pictured in the map). Now they're covering the orange parts over with wood.

Though now that I look at that render, it appears that the original proposed material was wood, so I wonder if they tried to sneak by the city again by using the burnt orange siding, and the city made them redo it again with the actual approved wood design.

This all begs the question – why doesn't the city impose these design standards on more buildings, and not approve the shitty ones. I applaud the city in this case for making the developer stick to the approved design, however they should also be rejecting poor ones from the start. All this is going to do is make developers just propose junk so it gets approved as junk.
I've spoken to the planners at the City about this specific building and this is exactly what happened.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:57 PM

^That's great. Now the city should set that standard before approving lesser designs.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:12 PM
BANNED

That would entail having standards, and not approving shit. The lack of those bars is fine, but the other shortcomings = unacceptable.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Marijuana has most definitely hurt people. Don't kid yourself.

I say that as somebody who used to smoke a fair bit of it and also consider it a safer drug than alcohol. Nevertheless, it's a narcotic and it's meant to impair your judgement. People who claim that they're better drivers or live more fulfilled lives or whatever...well, they're just full of BS or too blind to introspection to actually summarize the effects of weed on their own person accurately.

Some people want a break from reality. Some people want to live in that break land. Some of us prefer to deal with reality as it is.
People saying they're better drivers after smoking. lol anyways...

We're going to see a whole lot of cases before the courts about people 'driving while high'. Part of it I believe is ignorance. People think you smoke some weed and start seeing magical colours and have hallucinations. Not like that at all.

MPI had a commercial out stating wait 4 hours before driving. I don't see it on TV anymore as it's likely been pulled. This isn't cut and dry. How can they put people who have been smoking for 40 years into the same category as someone who just smoked for the first time? Police can't even figure out a reliable test and it's been illegal for centuries.

Sorry for off topic..

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Police can't even figure out a reliable test and it's been illegal for centuries.
Actually, decades but almost made it to a century.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
People saying they're better drivers after smoking. lol anyways...

We're going to see a whole lot of cases before the courts about people 'driving while high'. Part of it I believe is ignorance. People think you smoke some weed and start seeing magical colours and have hallucinations. Not like that at all.

The amount of people I have worked with, who think marijuana helps them work better would shock you. That includes people working hazardous machinery.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 6:32 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^That's great. Now the city should set that standard before approving lesser designs.
This wasn't about approving a lesser design. It was about approving a better design (wood) and the developer thinking they could quietly get away with using the other material instead.

It is not uncommon, in all cities, for developers to change their buildings as they're building them in a way that doesn't align with what planners approved. It's the "ask for forgiveness over permission" strategy.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 7:19 PM

Saw them working on this building this morning. They're not even removing the gross orange metal panels. Just strapping over top and attaching the wood planks.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This wasn't about approving a lesser design. It was about approving a better design (wood) and the developer thinking they could quietly get away with using the other material instead.

It is not uncommon, in all cities, for developers to change their buildings as they're building them in a way that doesn't align with what planners approved. It's the "ask for forgiveness over permission" strategy.
I was referring to all the other crap that's been approved and built lately – the city should implement some basic design guidelines. As I've said, I applaud the city for finally having some guts and holding this developer accountable, but I fear it's just going to make more developers just propose bad materials from the start to avoid this – and as we've seen, the city will no doubt approve anything.

As well, I have a feeling the only reason why the city actually upheld their approvals for this project is due to a lot of area residents launching formal complaints. Bet if that didn't happen, no one at the city would have even bothered to check... things like that happen all the time.

For example, and I'll admit I'm not sure what was actually approved by the city, but look two initial renderings of 373 River compared to what ended up being built:

Actual: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88058...7i13312!8i6656

I believe the wood and orange one was first. Then that got value engineered to the beige one with swirl design. Ended up losing the open staircase completely, some windows, and hint of colour and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
Saw them working on this building this morning. They're not even removing the gross orange metal panels. Just strapping over top and attaching the wood planks.
At this point they've probably spent 4x the labour on the siding as planned, and will do anything to finish and save money.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Disgusting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:18 PM

This is more East Broadway or Bro-Ass or whatever it wants to be called (no thread for that area), but 386 Broadway has been doing what seems to be some fairly extensive lobby and exterior (main entrance) renovations over the last 2 months. Anyone know what's going on?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:37 PM
Winnipeg

Not sure, but it should be beneficial. Btw I think that building looks pretty nice already with much glass exterior

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Don't let Biguc hear you say that. He went off on me for saying the very same thing.
I could have sworn that Biguc died last year.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Seriously?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Someone using his moniker visited the site on Nov 29, 2018 so I don't think he died.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:20 PM

^ He recently posted in the Canada subforum. So unless there is some kind of identity theft going on, Biguc is thankfully alive and well.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ He recently posted in the Canada subforum. So unless there is some kind of identity theft going on, Biguc is thankfully alive and well.
Excellent.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:11 PM

That's good news.

Cyro hasn't been online since July, 2017. Maybe just dropped off. But IIRC there were some issues..

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's good news.

Cyro hasn't been online since July, 2017. Maybe just dropped off. But IIRC there were some issues..
I hope he is OK. Cyro was a great moderator, and a valued forum member to the forum. Unfortunately one or two posters ran him off.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:57 PM
the first stamp is free

That project at the southeast corner of Westminster/Maryland looks to be underway.

They are demo'ing the houses, and trimming back the trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan