HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2281  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 11:32 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Has there been any update on the Metrotown Passerelle? Is it going to be built? Where is it going to be built? When is it going to be built?
From the Buzzer Blog
Quote:
We are currently working with the City of Burnaby on an agreement for a new overhead walkway, that will be funded by the City and we will share that information as soon as it is finalized.
Quote:
We cannot give a specific time frame because we have been, and continue to be, in talks with the city and the mall to agree upon construction, timing, etc. Not about blame whatsoever, it is who is the owner of the property and we need to work with them to find a solution that works for all involved.
Quote:
...it is not our property nor would it be our funding to build this so we continue to work with our partners at the mall and the city to negotiate those details while still finishing these necessary upgrades to keep the station open during construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2282  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:16 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
Commercial - Broadway Station -

Pics by me today:
(No visible changes since McMinsen's Nov 30 shots - maybe some more scaffolding below).





The steel substructure here (diagonal beams) must be for the escalator machinery (for the escalator from above).
Looks like the escalator will be set on a diagonal (see pic above), which also explains the diagonal beam in the corner of the bridge.






Last edited by officedweller; Dec 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2283  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:19 PM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
Nice catch!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2284  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:40 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Commercial - Broadway Station -

The steel substructure here (diagonal beams) must be for the escalator machinery (for the escalator from above).
Looks like the escalator will be set on a diagonal (see pic above), which also explains the diagonal beam in the corner of the bridge.
Looked at it again today - that square structure must be for the elevator
- as the angle from the overpass is too steep for the escalator.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2285  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 2:08 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,718
Poll Transport Forum

SSP Vancouver in the Transport forum closes completed transport projects in order to ensure integrated discussions in the general transport forum as opposed to having separate individual discussions.

Reading the Evergreen Line forum, there were suggestions of having separate threads for station reconstruction. This poll is asking members if they wish to do this. Poll to close in 21-days from writing.

Happy New Year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2286  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:31 AM
SkytrainCar026's Avatar
SkytrainCar026 SkytrainCar026 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Reading the Evergreen Line forum, there were suggestions of having separate threads for station reconstruction. This poll is asking members if they wish to do this. Poll to close in 21-days from writing.

Happy New Year.
I don't think that we need individual threads for each station project, as there wouldn't be very much discussion. After all, this thread can go for weeks or months at a time without much discussion, and it encompasses 5+ projects at the moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2287  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
SSP Vancouver in the Transport forum closes completed transport projects in order to ensure integrated discussions in the general transport forum as opposed to having separate individual discussions.

Reading the Evergreen Line forum, there were suggestions of having separate threads for station reconstruction. This poll is asking members if they wish to do this. Poll to close in 21-days from writing.

Happy New Year.
The South Fraser Perimeter Road thread is still open even though it is said to be closed. Plus the Metro Vancouver Transportation & Transit Plebiscite thread should be closed since that plebiscite has long been over for a while now. While we're at it, the Vancouver Downtown Streetcar | Proposed thread should be closed as well since it was the Election promise of the NPA who has since been defeated during the last municipal election.

Just browsing through the Transportation Forum and so many threads on topics here and there, some dated for over half a dozen years already still remain open and yet not closed. I guess they don't prune here, eh?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2288  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 7:27 AM
jhausner jhausner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
The South Fraser Perimeter Road thread is still open even though it is said to be closed. Plus the Metro Vancouver Transportation & Transit Plebiscite thread should be closed since that plebiscite has long been over for a while now. While we're at it, the Vancouver Downtown Streetcar | Proposed thread should be closed as well since it was the Election promise of the NPA who has since been defeated during the last municipal election.

Just browsing through the Transportation Forum and so many threads on topics here and there, some dated for over half a dozen years already still remain open and yet not closed. I guess they don't prune here, eh?
Port Mann/Highway 1 Improvements | Completed... been a while now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2289  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:21 PM
Kisai Kisai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
The South Fraser Perimeter Road thread is still open even though it is said to be closed. Plus the Metro Vancouver Transportation & Transit Plebiscite thread should be closed since that plebiscite has long been over for a while now. While we're at it, the Vancouver Downtown Streetcar | Proposed thread should be closed as well since it was the Election promise of the NPA who has since been defeated during the last municipal election.

Just browsing through the Transportation Forum and so many threads on topics here and there, some dated for over half a dozen years already still remain open and yet not closed. I guess they don't prune here, eh?
Pruneing actually deletes threads, posts, images, attachments, etc. It's also extremely heavy on the server to do so, which is why pruneing systems are often limited to "unmoderated forum games" type forums where you don't want spam to sit around.

What you want, is to avoid thread necro'ing. This is done by locking threads that people bump well past the end of the discussion and not adding anything to it. Some forums have a anti-bump feature that prevents threads being bumped up without moderator intervention, but the negative consequence to that is spammers can post to their automated hearts content without anyone noticing for a VERY long time.

At any rate, in terms of a should a new thread should be made. No, because most of these projects were announced at the same time, so they are really one multi-stage project rather than individual projects. Likewise, we tend to discuss things about all the renovation projects as a whole in the context of Translink or the Skytrain.

Now if Translink decides to add a completely new station, that would justify a thread by itself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2290  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:32 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
By Yellow Fever Jan 4th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2291  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 6:17 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Pruneing actually deletes threads, posts, images, attachments, etc. It's also extremely heavy on the server to do so, which is why pruneing systems are often limited to "unmoderated forum games" type forums where you don't want spam to sit around.

What you want, is to avoid thread necro'ing. This is done by locking threads that people bump well past the end of the discussion and not adding anything to it. Some forums have a anti-bump feature that prevents threads being bumped up without moderator intervention, but the negative consequence to that is spammers can post to their automated hearts content without anyone noticing for a VERY long time.
What I want is some consistency with the moderation. Meaning if there is an official policy, not just some mod OCD or dislike of a certain suburban project, that threads of completed projects only within the Transportation Forum needs to be locked, then it should apply to ALL threads and even ALL sections (such as those in Projects within Vancouver and around Metro Vancouver).

The fact of the matter is, the Evergreen Line thread was singled out while others such as the South Fraser Road, the Referendum and Streetcar threads remain open even though those are either complete, have passed, or are dead. Plus there are building projects such as the Convention Centre or individual buildings that have long since been completed, some by over a decade, and yet they remain open. I also have a feeling its not official SSP policy to do that...just some biased discretion by one individual who happens to have access to the "thread lock" button...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2292  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 6:58 AM
VancouverOfTheFuture's Avatar
VancouverOfTheFuture VancouverOfTheFuture is offline
Vancouverite
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
The fact of the matter is, the Evergreen Line thread was singled out while others such as the South Fraser Road, the Referendum and Streetcar threads remain open even though those are either complete, have passed, or are dead. Plus there are building projects such as the Convention Centre or individual buildings that have long since been completed, some by over a decade, and yet they remain open. I also have a feeling its not official SSP policy to do that...just some biased discretion by one individual who happens to have access to the "thread lock" button...
it is a conspiracy against the Tri-Cities!!!!!

it must be someone from the provincial government who said it needs to be locked since they also are the ones who delayed the Tri-cities getting SkyTrain for so long. they just hate you guys that much.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2293  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:19 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Blazed Member - Citygater
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 5,432


c/o >> http://davidpereira.ca/wp-content/up...by-capture.jpg

I just came across this for the 1st time ... I never knew that at 1 time there was a thought to have a more central to the mall underground station as in a subway .... apparently the subway segment would be build in conjunction with the mall and therefor open at a later date than a temporary Metrotown station would open as the map above would lead one to believe.
__________________
http://www.votesmartbc.com
http://www.riskydix.ca
http://www.dixshiddenplan.ca

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2294  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:00 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
I think that's when the line was to be conventional LRT.
In retrospect, having an underground station surrounded by the mall would have limited after hours access.

PS - I just noticed the "Smith Avenue Station" near the BC Tel/Telus boot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2295  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:14 PM
Tetsuo Tetsuo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think that's when the line was to be conventional LRT.
In retrospect, having an underground station surrounded by the mall would have limited after hours access.

PS - I just noticed the "Smith Avenue Station" near the BC Tel/Telus boot.
And "Rumble station" at Griffiths and Rumble, instead of Edmonds (which was chosen to cut costs (by being at grade), and BC Hydro lobbying
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2296  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:00 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 31,916
I wonder if the 6th ave station would have been a better choice than patterson.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2297  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:17 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
I think you mean "Smith"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2298  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:29 AM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,266
From The Buzzer blog, an update on Joyce–Collingwood Station upgrades

The new lighting and glass panel looks really nice.

Source


At Metrotown station, the new elevator is being installed at the Centre stationhouse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2299  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:13 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 31,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think you mean "Smith"
yeah, can't always see, need glasses at times
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2300  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:06 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,266
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.