HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I wish Westjet or Air Canada had daily non stop to and from Regina and Saskatoon on a Q400.
Except security, pre-boarding requirements, taxis, etc. could make it almost as long as driving.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
I've said this before, but...why would somebody who lives in Regina drive 392km to Minot when they can simply drive 258km to Saskatoon to catch a Delta flight to Minneapolis?
Or 298 km to Williston (Sloulin Field - IATA: ISN), which has flights from both Delta and United. Smaller than Minot, but an hour closer; barely further than Saskatoon is. Closer, if you're in Weyburn or Estevan.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I wish Westjet or Air Canada had daily non stop to and from Regina and Saskatoon on a Q400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Except security, pre-boarding requirements, taxis, etc. could make it almost as long as driving.
I haven't used it in the last couple of years, but as far as I know, Transwest/West Wind is still offering its Express Air service between Saskatoon and Regina. Smaller aircraft (King Airs?), but no long screening process and a 45 minute flight time. Pretty efficient, really.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I haven't used it in the last couple of years, but as far as I know, Transwest/West Wind is still offering its Express Air service between Saskatoon and Regina. Smaller aircraft (King Airs?), but no long screening process and a 45 minute flight time. Pretty efficient, really.
Yes that is my point. It works with no screening/pre-boarding waits, except the times often don't match your schedule and it is faster to drive. Also there are limited weekend flights and no night flights. If you can't leave early, you have to stay overnight.

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Or 298 km to Williston (Sloulin Field - IATA: ISN), which has flights from both Delta and United. Smaller than Minot, but an hour closer; barely further than Saskatoon is. Closer, if you're in Weyburn or Estevan.
I have used ISN on many occasions but they only have 2 departures/arrivals per day for Delta and United ea.Most of my connections work better through MSP, as most of my final destinations are either central or southern US. Which going through DEN isn't helpful.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:11 AM

Anyone know what the new big blue rectangle lease tenant would be?

https://www.yqr.ca/assets/86-r-60855...-27-sep-18.pdf

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:

Canada Post?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Canada Post?
I thought the new Canada post building was being built next to the curling club....

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:30 AM

Quote:
I thought the new Canada post building was being built next to the curling club....
Well that would be a terrible spot for it... so that's probably where it's going.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I'm betting it's Canada Post.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Close enough, lol!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Close enough, lol!
Haha! I would love it to be a new DHL/Purolator/Fedex hangar/shipping facility...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I'm betting it's Canada Post.
It has got to be Canada Post.
Edit: If you look at where Wayne Mantyka is standing, you can see the Callie in the background. He is standing right where the leased parcel is show on the site plan. https://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1449448

A few years ago there was a big new gravel parking lot built south of the Callie. Does anyone know what that is for?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Edit: If you look at where Wayne Mantyka is standing, you can see the Callie in the background. He is standing right where the leased parcel is show on the site plan. https://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1449448

A few years ago there was a big new gravel parking lot built south of the Callie. Does anyone know what that is for?
Perhaps it was built for....parking?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:

It may look like just a parking lot......but it is actually a stockpile of higher quality clay that is being disguised as a parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The scheduling isn't awesome. The European flights are going to depart in the morning, which implies a very late evening arrival in Europe. Most North America-to-Europe flights depart in the evening, arriving in the morning or very early afternoon European time. To make the flights from Regina or Saskatoon, very early morning flights to Calgary are going to be required.

Personally I wish someone would do what Air Canada used to do, and fly out of Calgary at about 10 pm. That way you have time to make an after-work flight on a weekday (e.g. Friday) and be in London or Paris or Dublin by early afternoon Saturday, and be over the jet lag by Sunday.
A quick search for the inaugural flight schedules for each of the three new Dreamliner routes shows evening departures from YYC and therefore mid morning arrivals in Europe. Arrivals back into YYC are in the mid afternoon. So connections to/from Saskatchewan will be convenient!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
A quick search for the inaugural flight schedules for each of the three new Dreamliner routes shows evening departures from YYC and therefore mid morning arrivals in Europe. Arrivals back into YYC are in the mid afternoon. So connections to/from Saskatchewan will be convenient!
What time in the evening? The most convenient European departures from Saskatchewan's perspective give time for a Friday-after-work flight to the connecting airport, so you actually get to Europe on Saturday. Still, this sounds better than what WestJet was describing initially.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:54 PM

^ Apart from the after work connection factor, a later departure also lets you avoid the problem of arriving at your hotel or airbnb at an extremely early hour, way before you can check in. Not a huge problem for business travellers, but more annoying for leisure travellers as you're then faced with waiting for the room or having to shell out for an extra night just to get access to your room to drop off your bags and have a quick shower before setting out.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:33 PM
ConstructionPete

Future Expansion at West Wind

West Wind is looking to expand its business in the future. Article at:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...er-fatal-crash

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:08 AM

Saskatoon airport opens valet parking service

650 CKOM
by Chris Vandenbreekel
November 22, 2018

Saskatoon International Airport has unveiled their newest parking option as the airport continues to put the finishing touches on their renovations.

“ValetXE” will provide a terminal-side valet parking service to customers, allowing them to drive right up to the door and leave their vehicles in the hands of staff while continuing on to their gate.

“It’s for people where time is really of the essence for their trip,” said Stephen Maybury, CEO of the Saskatoon Airport Authority.

[........]

Read more:
https://www.ckom.com/2018/11/22/445104/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan