HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 12:21 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Will Doer's no-risk strategy triumph?
We're ready for economic storm: premier

Dan Lett | Winnipeg Free Press

Updated: November 21 at 02:50 AM CST

For some years now, Premier Gary Doer has stoically refused to stray from his steady-as-she-goes approach to governing.

It's not for lack of encouragement.

From newspaper hacks to lobby groups and hard-core loyalists within his own party, almost everyone has tried to get Doer to be more dynamic, more visionary, more aggressive in tackling Manitoba's economic challenges. Doer's reaction has been nothing if not consistently incremental.

Cut the sales tax? Take education taxes off property? Approve a new municipal infrastructure tax? Build a new football stadium in South Point Douglas? All these ideas were considered somewhat transformative, but all were deemed too politically and fiscally risky for the NDP premier.

At best, critics accused Doer of being unimaginative; at worst, they labelled him a risk-averse, visionless wonk, premier of small ideas.

Then again, most of that commentary came before subprime became a four-letter word, stock market tickers began looking like an electrocardiogram of a heart in full cardiac arrest, and mortgage lenders Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae threatened to throw themselves off the same cliff as the Lehman Brothers investment bank.

Now what was once considered boring is almost bold.

Doer unveiled a speech from the throne on Thursday that for all intents and purposes was -- dare we say it? -- a bold affirmation of the course the province charted in the spring budget. In the face of a very real possibility of a long, deep worldwide recession, Doer pledged that spending on priority programs such as health, education and justice would remain firm. Tens of millions in corporate and personal income tax cuts announced in previous budgets would go ahead. Investments in infrastructure projects, including the Red River Floodway expansion and northern hydro-generating stations, would proceed. And the best part is that all of this will happen without having to go into deficit.

Doer is boldly clinging to his course, arguing that the underlying strengths of the Manitoba economy are sound enough to withstand the global economic crisis.

The premier's theory is based partially on the fact Manitoba's economy is diversified, and thus not vulnerable to a collapse of any one sector, such as commodities or manufacturing.

He is also banking that large infrastructure projects, especially the construction of new generating stations in northern Manitoba, will provide a baseline of economic activity that will see us through the worst of the crisis. Finance Minister Greg Selinger said the commitment to continue spending on priority programs and infrastructure programs functions as an "inoculation" against the global fiscal flu.

Add to that the facts that federal transfers for health and education are expected to remain intact and the province's fiscal stabilization fund is hovering around $800 million, and there is reason to be cautiously optimistic.

Truth be told, it's not a bad theory. Manitoba's diversified economy has spared us in the past. Recessions in this province usually start much later, don't dip quite as deep and are shorter than recessions in provinces like Ontario. But being diversified hasn't spared us completely. With the throne speech, Doer and company are wagering that this time, we might actually dodge a recession altogether.

The peril for Doer is, of course, that almost no one can predict how long the economic crisis will last, and how deep it will go. The global economy right now resembles one of those elaborate obstacle courses used in martial arts movies. You know, the ones with the flying maces, giant swinging axes and whirling truncheons? Getting through it unscathed requires agility, expertise and luck. And quite frankly, almost no one gets through unscathed.

If Doer is right and a combination of risk-averse policies, a diversified economy and infrastructure investments can get us through to the other side of this mess, then he will have lots of opportunities to say, "I told you so."

If he is wrong, and a combination of sustained spending and an aversion to risky spending were not enough to spare us recessionary pain, then Doer will most definitely have some explaining to do.

And this throne speech will be remembered as a triumph of optimism over action.

dan.lett@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 3:56 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Boring, seems like Gary is just giving us more more of the status quo.

I guess what I don't get about this guy is he has so much political capital. I mean Doer was practically coronated in the last election, despite my best efforts to prevent this by voting PC.

With such popularity why is he so affraid to actually take a stand and do something? He could easily make Winnipeg a domed city if he wanted and voters would probably go with it.

Where's the vision Mr. Premier?
And Hugh Mc Fad-den will provide any sort of a vision? I see why you would want to punish the NDP, but do we really need to punish ourselves as well?

Given the economic situation at this time, it's IMO, a good enough budget. Agree, no overarching vision, but I'm happy with what they were able to do in an economic slow down I don't think that sexy new and expensive initiatives are really possible at this time.

In particular, what I'm happy about is the continuation with the schedule of corporate, small business and personal tax cuts. I've also been very happy with the work slated for the UofW (in particular), as well as other post-secondary institutions around MB. I also applaud the substantial renovations that will happen to MB Housing Buildings... in Winnipeg, the buildings surrounding Central Park, around Selkirk Ave, and South Point Douglas are going to undergo major improvement.

As for Doer and vision, he's nothing more than a political pragmatist. Complete abandonment of token NDP/centre-left ideology, in order to play it politically safe. Since '99, this brand of MB's centre-left has been referred to as "Today's NDP." What would you expect though, his wife owns Viewpoints Research, after all. The NDP will not do anything without Focus Groups and Tele-Surveys. It leads to not making any unpopular decisions, that may also be the best decision. It leads to overall bland policy without substance.

If you think the PC's are any different, think again. They have always been in bed with NRG Research (formerly Western Opinion Research, the same company with involvement in the Filmon & Taras Sokolyk vote splitting scandal back in the mid-1990s).

OTL, You mentioned vision and such. I completely agree with the concept of having a big long-term vision for the province as well. I'm guessing we all have a similar vision: safer city, thriving economy, jobs and people moving to the prov, reduction in poverty and keeping more kids in school. While the vision is always vague, such as what I've just mentioned, it's a matter of policy and spending initiatives to "take us there."

All that said, I'm wondering... pretend you were Premier, what sort of specific announcements would be in your thrown speech this year?

I'm going to work on this question myself, and will get back in the next day or so.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Nov 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

spd has a small housing stock theres is some run down homes in that area but most of them are actualy maintined properly

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:53 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Think your post re: SPD homes was in response to what I pointed out from the Throne Speech.

The Manitoba Housing buildings are usually not "houses," but actually apartments and multi-dwelling type of buildings, and are administered by the Family Services and Housing Department in the prov government.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/fs/housing/mha.html

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

manitoba housing what? ummm there is not any manitoba housing in spd there's some in npd that are total dumps... including one from the 70's across the ally from me thats always full of crack heads or dealers

my opinion of manitoba housing is it should be 55+

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:25 PM
I am a typical

Social housing here has three divisions, high rises units for "independent seniors", complexes for "seniors who need a bit of assistance in their life" (these are my terms, btw) and townhouses around a dumpy park for single parents and families between jobs. The latter is supposed to be a temporary arrangement for most people but never is.

Concentrations of poor people never work. On the other hand, low income people living in isolated duplexes or single family homes seem to be fairly successful. I know a few people who live in isolated subsidized housing (usually just a duplex plopped in a random neighbourhood) and they are much better off than people living in high density clusters of poor people. (The only parts of Thunder Bay's suburban area with densities above 7,500 people per square kilometre are social housing complexes, and they are in census tracts with the lowest average incomes.)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:41 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
manitoba housing what? ummm there is not any manitoba housing in spd there's some in npd that are total dumps... including one from the 70's across the ally from me thats always full of crack heads or dealers

my opinion of manitoba housing is it should be 55+
My bad! Got my SPD/NPD mixed-up.

What I was thinking of is the Lord Selkirk Park housing that will have a lot of rennos... and it's obviously on the other side of main (making that North Point Douglas?).

Thanks for the correction, 1ajs.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
My bad! Got my SPD/NPD mixed-up.

What I was thinking of is the Lord Selkirk Park housing that will have a lot of rennos... and it's obviously on the other side of main (making that North Point Douglas?).

Thanks for the correction, 1ajs.
turtle island? witch is on the other side of main st

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:50 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Yup, that's it... I believe it's referred to as Lord Selkirk Park Housing (the housing units), on the corner of Flora and King.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

Yup, that's it... I believe it's referred to as Lord Selkirk Park Housing (the housing units), on the corner of Flora and King.
well i know it as turtle island that complex is is at the center of some many problems in the area.. theres also lego land way down burrows...

theres also come complexes in the south end of the city that are just dumps also

in the shot u can also see manitoba housins 55+ tower at jarvis and main one of there better maintained places

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:04 PM
The Loyal Opposition

That's a great pic!

As for the Lord Selkirk/Turtle Island thing... I think we're referring to the same thing. Often, the gov uses different names for things that the general public might... just to make things that much more confusing.

You're correct that, whatever it's called, it's the centre of so many problems. With that, however, comes an advantage. Lord Selkirk/Turtle Island, because it's contained, can be easily targeted for intake into social and education programs, etc. Would be a good location to run some ambitious pilot projects for the community.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

That's a great pic!

As for the Lord Selkirk/Turtle Island thing... I think we're referring to the same thing. Often, the gov uses different names for things that the general public might... just to make things that much more confusing.

You're correct that, whatever it's called, it's the centre of so many problems. With that, however, comes an advantage. Lord Selkirk/Turtle Island, because it's contained, can be easily targeted for intake into social and education programs, etc. Would be a good location to run some ambitious pilot projects for the community.
theres good going on around there in programs the problems are social... but my knowlig of that side of main st is prity vage at best... all i can realy say is based on observations... alot of improvments have been made since i was a kid my school bus to school used to zigzag all threw the north end befor droping me off so i got to see alot of the slumynes that was back threw the 90's. i remeber when the homes across the st from st johns highschool were all run down this has changed homes around lord selkick have seen improvements ect but not as much as further north towards mountan has seen. in jr high i was to walk all the way to school from npd with friends that live on pritchard in the midle of warzone teritory for sake of walking to isaak newton a beutifull school with old and 1960's modernist adition on the rear

ralph brown community center has crawled from the abis to being a very succesfull community center thats at the heart of that part of the north end as a safe place for the kids to go to if u want to learn more about that go over to newwinnipeg.com and talk to northender

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
ralph brown community center has crawled from the abis to being a very succesfull community center thats at the heart of that part of the north end as a safe place for the kids to go
That is exactly the kind of meaningful programs (forging links with youth, encouragement to stay in school, and providing a safe environment) that I totally support!

A lot of good can be done with well placed drop-in and after school programs. In the greater scheme of things, these programs are also not too expensive.

In many cases, just paying attention and listening to the kids/youth goes a long way.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and the succes of ralh brown has nothing to do with the gov they wanted to close that commuity center. it only recevies 10k a year from the city in funding

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:54 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and the succes of ralh brown has nothing to do with the gov they wanted to close that commuity center. it only recevies 10k a year from the city in funding
This is the kind of thing that the levels of gov really should be funding. Not administering, necessarily, but funding.

If anything, we need more community clubs. The fact that Katz closed the Elmwood Community Club, and hastily had it leveled, shows how out-of-touch he is. A few massive community clubs doesn't help the kids who need it (get around by walking).

As for the programs within, a lot of great ideas and neighbourhood or culturally specific programs (such as Aboriginal Elders mentoring Aboriginal Youth away from street gangs), reside within the community. The big government dictating policy would only mess things up.

All that said, I don't really like the idea of the gov providing money to programs that are mostly religious-based. I think that many kids/youth will find it a turn-off and not return or bother attending.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 11:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

in ralph browns case they have their head and the staff that all work their royal buts off for the kids mentoring them giving them a safe place and teaching them to take it over down the road to keep it alive while jumping throuh hoops to find money to pay their wages and keep the place going its quite the well oiled machene that was imploding just over a year ago befor one person stood up and did something to save the place... the community didn't even want it anymore as it was not even intened to be even built it was only built to build a new school. one of those moving funds around schemes

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:24 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Without getting into the debate around the potential coalition, and all the nastiness in Ottawa these days, I did want to point out one item that may be of interest to those on this board.

In the Liberal-NDP Policy Accord, their first two points in their accord that discusses what their stimulus package seeks to address. It would be (IMO) very good for Winnipeg and Manitoba.

Anyway, here it is:

Economic Stimulus Package

The top priority of the new Government is an economic stimulus package designed to boost the domestic economy beginning with (but not limited to):

• Accelerating existing infrastructure funding and substantial new investments, including municipal and inter-provincial projects (such as transit, clean energy, water, corridors and gateways). This would certainly include addressing the urgent infrastructure needs of First Nations, Métis and Inuit;

• Housing construction and retrofitting;

If you're interested to read the full thing:

http://www.liberal.ca/pdf/docs/08120..._en_signed.pdf

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:31 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Huh... I wonder if this is a first step towards Bill Blaikie being the next Premier of Manitoba. As in, taking over for Doer when he retires (my guess: in 2 years from now) as Blaikie would probably win a leadership contest. I'm guessing that Doer probably had this sweet prospect to offer Blaikie, to get him to come out of retirement.

I'm now predicting that the Provincial NDP leadership campaign will consist of (of the serious contenders):
- Blaikie
- Theresa Oswald (Minister of Health)
- Pat Martin (MP)

Former MP Bill Blaikie seeks provincial seat

Last Updated: Friday, December 5, 2008 | 12:05 PM CT
CBC News

After almost three decades as a federal Manitoba MP, Bill Blaikie plans to enter provincial politics. (CBC)

Former NDP member of Parliament Bill Blaikie will contest the party's nomination in the provincial riding of Elmwood.

After recently capping a federal career of nearly 30 years, Blaikie said he decided to turn his attention to the provincial arena at the urging of Manitoba Premier Gary Doer.

"It wasn't something that I had, you know, planned from before, so to speak," Blaikie said Friday.

Positive initial response from party members he canvassed about the move prompted him to pursue it, he said.

The Elmwood seat was recently vacated by Jim Maloway, who ran successfully for the NDP in Blaikie's old federal riding of Elmwood-Transcona.

Blaikie will run against Ed Innes and Darryl Livingstone for the NDP nomination. The vote is scheduled to take place Dec. 14.

Although a byelection has not yet been called for the Elmwood riding, Doer is expected to call one for the spring.

The Liberal contender is Regan Wolfrom. The Conservatives have not yet selected a candidate.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...k.html?ref=rss

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:37 PM
BANNED

^Any warm body in that seat is an improvement over Jim "do nothing" Maloway!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:48 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Oops! Sorry guys, looks like this was already posted in the Winnipeg - Of Interest thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan