HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 6:40 AM

Smile Saskatchewan accent

This language survey out right now has got me thinking about my time spent in Saskatchewan with cousins (I'm from Ontario). There were always certain words and phrases that struck me as odd (dainties, for one). But I can't quite put my finger on what the accent/pronunciation is all about there. Anyone have thoughts on what exactly makes it distinctive?

Here's the survey, for those interested: https://goo.gl/forms/Eg4mu9O1ufDCIVmZ2

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgillespie View Post
This language survey out right now has got me thinking about my time spent in Saskatchewan with cousins (I'm from Ontario). There were always certain words and phrases that struck me as odd (dainties, for one). But I can't quite put my finger on what the accent/pronunciation is all about there. Anyone have thoughts on what exactly makes it distinctive?

Here's the survey, for those interested: https://goo.gl/forms/Eg4mu9O1ufDCIVmZ2
I find Ontario has a hint of the Maritime accent while SK (in the cities at least) speaks more with a West Coast accent. For example in Ontario they pronounce car "cur" and about as "aboot". If you are talking rural SK that is a whole other thing. Just like rural folks everywhere the have a more informal sort of accent.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I find Ontario has a hint of the Maritime accent while SK (in the cities at least) speaks more with a West Coast accent. For example in Ontario they pronounce car "cur" and about as "aboot". If you are talking rural SK that is a whole other thing. Just like rural folks everywhere the have a more informal sort of accent.
Totally! All an Ontarian has to say is any "out" type word and it's a dead giveaway where they are from.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
Totally! All an Ontarian has to say is any "out" type word and it's a dead giveaway where they are from.
How do the people of the provinces West of Ontario pronounce "out" type words differently? I have never noticed that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
How do the people of the provinces West of Ontario pronounce "out" type words differently? I have never noticed that.
The majority say the same as Saskatchewan. Rural Ontario is where you see the different.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Oot vs owt

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:36 AM
BANNED

What the hell is a "Saskatchewan accent"?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:52 PM

Anywhere you go will have location specific slang type words. Specifically rural areas, and again specifically French in Manitoba. Each town has a different dialect from a century ago.

Also a Minnesotan accent, for example, can be quite noticeable I find. And they know it haha

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:21 PM

The only thing in the quiz that would be a dead giveaway as a Saskatchewanian was the question about a "bunnyhug". Nothing else in the quiz jumped out at me as being specific to Sask, though some of the ones that seemed obscure to me might have been familiar in a particular province.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:32 PM

I don't know if its a Western Canada vs Eastern Canada thing, a local thing, or even a thing at all: I hear that westerners often pronounce "egg" as "eh-g" while easterners will often pronounce as "Ay-g".

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:42 PM

Personally found a lot of the items on the lists or pronunciations equally common. Like more person dependent. A few I've never heard of before.

In terms of a Saskatchewan accent, I lived in Regina for 6 months and never noticed anything different than people from Winnipeg. To be honest I've been to 8 of 10 provinces and have only really noticed an accent in the maritimes and that wasn't even all the people out there. I personally don't get the whole oot and aboot thing that Canadians are supposed to have. Commonly portrayed in American sitcoms. I've never heard someone talking like that.

Last edited by cheswick; Jun 12, 2017 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Personally found a lot of the items on the lists or pronunciations equally common. Like more person dependent. A few I've never heard of before.

In terms of a Saskatchewan accent, I lived in Regina for 6 months and never noticed anything different than people from Winnipeg. To be honest I've been to 8 of 10 provinces and have only really noticed an accent in the maritimes and that wasn't even all the people out there. I personally don't get the whole oot and aboot thing that Canadians are supposed to have. Commonly portrayed in American sitcoms. I've never heard someone talking like that.
Kate Bierness. TSN. She has the prototypical canuck accent lampooned by the Americans.

It seems to be originate from Southern Ontario, ootside the GTA.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 9:10 PM

Saskatchewan doesn't so much have an accent, the words just pass through less teeth so it comes out different.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Saskatchewan doesn't so much have an accent, the words just pass through less teeth so it comes out different.
Well played....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Oh man, that's funny.

Saskatchewwan is wonderful. I could not tell the difference in speech from the Rocky Mountains to the shores of Superior, though.

Bunnyhug and Knapsack not withstanding...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:02 AM

One of the obvious pronunciation differences I notice is how people pronounce "Saskatchewan". I really notice it when TSN covers the Riders. Easterners pronounce that last syllable differently.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
One of the obvious pronunciation differences I notice is how people pronounce "Saskatchewan". I really notice it when TSN covers the Riders. Easterners pronounce that last syllable differently.
That's because despite the spelling it's "win".

Hell it's very nearly "Sisk-at-chew-win".

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:19 AM

Another one I keep hearing pronounced differently is "Wascana". Fair enough, people not from around here who see the name for the first time are bewildered, but often I'll hear something like Waas-kawn-ah, the "a" being sounded somewhat exaggerated, elongated and/or rounded, much like "Saskatchewan" (Saas-ka-chew-waan) -- Good one Stealth Girl!

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Jun 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:11 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
That's because despite the spelling it's "win".

Hell it's very nearly "Sisk-at-chew-win".
Also acceptable is S'sk-AT-chew-one.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Kate Bierness. TSN. She has the prototypical canuck accent lampooned by the Americans.

It seems to be originate from Southern Ontario, ootside the GTA.
YES! She totally does.

Ontario accent has really long vowels, especially O's

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan