HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 4:06 PM
User Registered

Truppe is a much better candidate for MP than Holder or any other con candidates in the London region in my opinion. Pearson hasn't been doing a bad job and I like the way he communicates with his constituents... something we don't see here in London West.

Both the federal and provincial governments have been pressuring to build a new crossing in Windsor. We've pledge to do most of the work and cover most of the cost. The construction of the Windsor-Essex Parkway starts this summer in fact but I don't see much use for it until a new crossing is made.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 8:25 PM

I just wonder if the NDP surge may cause left-wing vote splitting. CPC won by ~2,000 in London West and lost by 3,300 votes in London North. I have no clue locally how the NDPs surge has affected voters intentions, and whether a vote split to the CPC advantage could perhaps play out.

As well London North-Centre is the only Liberal held riding in all of SW Ontario, so it'll be interesting to see the extent of the Liberal decimation after tomorrow.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd like to vote NDP (I can't believe I am saying this, but I am, so there), but I will vote Liberal, as Doug Fergie has the best chance of beating the Cons incumbent, Ed Holdout.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:12 PM
User Registered

According to the last polls, both London West AND North-Centre (really) are going to be Con-Lib dogfights. Truppe has made significant progress and NDP-Lib vote splitting will weaken Pearson, allowing her to potentially slip by.

NDP should be safe in Fanshawe and Conservatives should be safe in Elgin-Middlesex-London.

Now it's off to vote I go.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:24 AM

What the hell happened?

I can't believe what I'm seeing in London West. Not only did Ed Holder win a clear majority, but Doug Ferguson came in third place.

I'm even more surprised at how close London North Centre is right now. I thought Glen Pearson would be doing better.

UPDATE: In the end, Doug Ferguson came in second place, but only by a slim margin over Peter Ferguson.

Last edited by manny_santos; May 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM. Reason: Updated result for Dougie

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:28 AM
Sanity merchant

I'm moving to fucking Fiji............ conservatives? Really?

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:37 AM

NDP-Liberal vote splitting!

London West both the Ferguson's got ~25%

London North-Centre CPC is going to squeak by with a win @ 35%, 33% for Pearson, 26% for NDP

Looks like the NDP surge was the best thing the CPC could have hoped for. Splitting the vote in areas like North Centre that otherwise would have remained Liberal.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 4:23 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
What the hell happened?

I can't believe what I'm seeing in London West. Not only did Ed Holder win a clear majority, but Doug Ferguson came in third place.

I'm even more surprised at how close London North Centre is right now. I thought Glen Pearson would be doing better.
I predicted Truppe might sqeeze by and Holder would win.

When I casted my ballot in London West I nearly voted for the United Party cuz I knew we were screwed.

Know when to Hold em, know when to fold em. Guess he'll Hold-out for another parliament.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 4:25 AM

Quebec will leave this country very soon...

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 7:43 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
I'm moving to fucking Fiji
Enjoy your military junta.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Quebec will leave this country very soon...
What, are the election results part of the "winning conditions"? I'm old enough to remember both referendums very well, and the conditions driving the sovereignty vote during those moments. Today's environment is not even remotely close to the atmosphere of 1993-1994 (failure of lac Meech, Charlottetown accord, Bloc ascendant, PQ (Parizeau no less) in power).

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 1:58 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Great.

Now I have this guy representing me for the next 4 years!

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...tx=42&ty=85Joe
Joe Preston-Conservative

Looks like Southwestern Ontario (excluding K-W and Windsor) is a sea of blue, with one lonley NDP. Not that much different from a map of Alberta's results!

Bright side is, next election I can vote!

I do think they should lower the voting age though. Many people I know are engaged enough and would make educated decisions.

Last edited by Simpseatles; May 4, 2011 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 3:58 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Looks like Southwestern Ontario (excluding K-W and Windsor) is a sea of blue, with one lonley NDP. Not that much different from a map of Alberta's results!
K-W went blue too just so ya know. Guelph did go red though.

I find it hard to believe that hard-hit Elgin county really likes to go Conservative. You'd think they'd swing NDP but nope.

Apparently another 30 ridings will be added to the country next election, and I'm assuming London will get one. Haven't looked into it in detail but you may no longer be in Preston's riding depending on where you live.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 2:43 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I find it hard to believe that hard-hit Elgin county really likes to go Conservative. You'd think they'd swing NDP but nope.
They must remember what it was like to have Bob Rae and the NDP in power in Ontario. Experience has probably taught them that they wish to avoid a similar scenario for Canada as a whole. From what I have seen, blue-collar small business owners tend to vote Conservative, so if Elgin County has a lot of the small entrepreneurial types then it is no surprise that it went blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Apparently another 30 ridings will be added to the country next election, and I'm assuming London will get one. Haven't looked into it in detail but you may no longer be in Preston's riding depending on where you live.
I read somewhere that the city proper is expected to have about 380,000 people by the time the next census rolls around. Assuming this is accurate, if a new riding were created now then London would be slightly over-represented (we aim to have 1 seat per 100,000 people). Since the Tories are now in power, I think they would prefer to keep swing ridings under-represented. Most of the new ridings will probably be created in British Columbia, Alberta and elsewhere in Ontario. However, if Harper turns out to be more honest than the average politician, we may eventually see something like "London South" carved out of the rest of the city.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 4:18 PM
User Registered

The Census is being done this year. Thinking London will have 380k (city) is a good estimate.

But metro wise, London may top the 500k mark (even though I think London has no metro). I could see a new riding to reflect this.

I live a 15 min walk from Southdale road, which is the dividing line between London-West and Elgin-Middlesex-London, yet there is a lot of development south of Southdale. I find it hard to believe that the people who live here are in the same riding with rural, blue-collar small town folks which is not a good fit on a representative level.

I want to see a new riding that would encompass London's south, all the way to the city limits where the Elgin-Middlesex-London would begin. This riding would also consume some of London-West and London-Fanshawe, which could eat into North-Centre. These ridings could push out and eat up places like Arva.

Given these figures, the London area could expand from 4 to 5 ringings given our metro population will get to half a million. Since the next election won't be for at least another 4 years, we will definitely have the population to support a new riding by then.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 8:17 PM

London will definitely pick up another seat possibly even another one! Harper was/is planning on passing a bill to give Ontario another 20 seats. While a good chunk will go to the GTA and Golden-horse shoe, some will have to go to the other urban areas of Ontario. With an additional 20 seats, plus even more after the decennial census adjustments it'll be good chances for more representation for us.

I don't know what they'll do with Middlesex riding, St. Thomas has been decimated population wise, so including areas of London will be needed for its representation to be near par. It is weird though, all those developments on Southdale & Pack Road being included in a rural riding. Just have to wait and see

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:33 AM
The Vomit Bag.

london has no metro? because we are completely surrounded by farmland?

C'mon! what about all those horses, cows, chickens, and turkeys that commute to the forest city (slaughterhouses) once a year?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:11 AM

As much as I support the CPC and was glad that they finally got a majority, its too bad Glen Pearson didn't get re-elected in London North. Partisanship aside, he's a good human being who has the best interests of Canada & London at heart and has done many great things for our community and Canada internationally. Unfortunately the cult of leadership is king in Canada and people like Pearson have to deal with the consequences of it.

I suspect the same happening to Chris Bentley provincially in London West this year. Another good individual that will pay for poor party leadership.

Here's an exit piece from A-News http://www.atv.ca/london/news_76054.aspx

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 10:42 AM

Of courses "he's a good human being", he's not a Conservative.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy