HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:46 PM

Citi Plaza gets City of London social services

Todays LFP has story about the move of City of London Social Services moving out of Market Tower to Citi Plaza 2nd fl space. What will Farhi do with another mostly vacant building? Any chance some of the young hitech gaming companies will want to become tenants in a Farhi building?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:54 PM
Sanity merchant

Helps to post a link... What will happen is what continues to happen with his other shit... nothing. He will sit on it, and wait for someone to rent from him. He will charge that renter more than what they should, and will hold out for a longer term deal from them. He is scum.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/27/lo...-to-citi-plaza

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:59 AM

I'm surprised Citi Plaza wants them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 1:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Does anybody like Farhi? I have heard that the guy is a supremely arrogant asshole.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:50 PM

I've met no one with a positive opinion of him. Some fantastically bad stories about him, though. I guess that's a positive?

Re: CitiPlaza, wanting these offices. When they were refusing to renew The Bargain Store's lease, they told them it was because they wanted to shift towards offices and related retail. This would be right in that line for them.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 12:06 AM

I totally appreciate them wanting to shift to more office development but a regular office and a social services office are 2 different things.

People still have very negative views about welfare {except for people with disabilities} and I am surprised that the merchants already in CitiPlaza aren't more than a little displeased.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:19 PM

I felt the general prejudice against welfare users is that they 'waste taxpayers money on useless items they don't need' so if that's the case, people should be happy to be selling their goods/services the moment these 'irrational buyers' get their money.

(quotation marks because I don't believe in these stereotypes as a general rule)

That being said, you are correct about the two types of offices being vastly different. I assumed the welfare office was only one of a few different types of city services being moved there and that the rest would be more standard office fare.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I totally appreciate them wanting to shift to more office development but a regular office and a social services office are 2 different things.

People still have very negative views about welfare {except for people with disabilities} and I am surprised that the merchants already in CitiPlaza aren't more than a little displeased.
I work in the downtown core, not far from the current welfare office, and the breezeway that sits between Market Tower and the new Fanshawe College building, is just a magnet for homeless people, bums, scruffy, unkempt people, many of whom are heavy smokers. I see people actually lying down and napping on the concrete benches there. The cops occasionally patrol the area, but they seem to do little or nothing.

The smoke in the breezeway is often heavy so it makes transiting through the area an exercise in unpleasantness.

And here I was, thinking that mainly students would be making use of the benches there. I hardly ever see any students using the area, much less coming and going from the Fanshawe building.

So much for downtown revitalization. The breezeway has become an eyesore instead of what it was intended to be.

By moving the welfare office east to Citi Plaza, all you're going to do is move the problem eastwards, and then the layabouts will just simply invade and pollute the foodcourt on the main floor. Mall security will be busy shooing them away. So I could easily see why mall merchants would be displeased with the move.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 7:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, the stinky winos and emaciated meth-heads have ruined that connection. I walked through there recently with my two kids and some freak started hollering at my little girl. After ushering my kids ahead so that they would be out of earshot, I turned back to the freak and told him that if he didn't shut the fuck up, I would personally tear him a new asshole.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:59 PM

Renovation cost come in $200K higher but still cheaper then Farhi's Market Tower - http://www.lfpress.com/2017/01/10/lo...novation-costs

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy