HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:21 AM

Another big metal box for the Central Eastside. Yay!!!! Let's call it Fuglitecture.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [61 MB] for Grand Avenue Mixed Use.
Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:51 PM

Portland Business Journal is reporting (subscription required) that LLJ Ventures from California purchased a property at SE 2nd and SE Ash (using Opportunity Zone funds) and another at 193 SW MLK Jr. Blvd (not using OZ funds.) No development plans are imminent at either location.

Quote:
Two more Opportunity Zone projects sized up for the Central Eastside
By Jon Bell – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Dec 6, 2018, 3:54pm PST Updated Dec 6, 2018, 8:33pm EST

Portland developers aren't the only ones looking to develop projects through the new federal Opportunity Zone tax incentive program.

California private equity firm LLJ Ventures has acquired two properties in the Central Eastside Industrial District, both of which lie in one of the 86 Opportunity Zones in Oregon. Opportunity Zones, in short, provide tax breaks on long-term investments in certain low-income census tracts.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:32 PM

I was hoping that Bridge Housing would one day move ahead with the affordable housing on the old Salvation Army building site.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 12:06 AM

Judging by the outline, their plan for the salvation army property could be similar in size to 5 MLK and The Yard.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:03 AM
A before E

We really are building up a new urban district on the east side of the Burnside Bridge. I was down there recently, plus having to drive through that area regularly, there is definitely going to need some changes to those intersections as the area becomes more populated and urban. My guess is pedestrian and cyclist only crossing lights will one day be neccessary there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:44 PM

Apologies if this has been posted previously, but I was curious if there were any renderings of the Yale Union renovation/addition, and found this from a firm out of Brussels

Is there anything else out there on this?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:27 PM

I noticed on WPA's site a new posting: http://www.worksarchitecture.net/wor...upply-building

Appears to be across the rail from 7 SE Stark, and a fairly substantial building as well.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I was hoping that Bridge Housing would one day move ahead with the affordable housing on the old Salvation Army building site.
They applied to Portland Housing Bureau several times but the project was not selected for funding.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

Sad to see all of that additional above-ground parking in the WPA rendering. I noticed that in the building currently u/c the parking levels don't look convertible to other uses. Talk about building without an eye to the future, although I guess these could be repurposed as high-density bicycle parking a la Amsterdam (perhaps adjacent to a high-speed rail station or a Central Eastside/Eastbank subway station). I wonder if the PDC is somehow involved in this lousy idea.

Personally, I hope this one never comes to fruition as proposed. I think now more than ever we can envision a future without I-5 right there, perhaps within the next 20-30 years. (Talk about a prime candidate for a federally-funded, climate-change-focused Green New Deal project.) In that event, having multiple above-ground parking garages mere steps from the river will be unfortunate.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Sad to see all of that additional above-ground parking in the WPA rendering. I noticed that in the building currently u/c the parking levels don't look convertible to other uses. Talk about building without an eye to the future, although I guess these could be repurposed as high-density bicycle parking a la Amsterdam (perhaps adjacent to a high-speed rail station or a Central Eastside/Eastbank subway station). I wonder if the PDC is somehow involved in this lousy idea.

Personally, I hope this one never comes to fruition as proposed. I think now more than ever we can envision a future without I-5 right there, perhaps within the next 20-30 years. (Talk about a prime candidate for a federally-funded, climate-change-focused Green New Deal project.) In that event, having multiple above-ground parking garages mere steps from the river will be unfortunate.
If the floors are flat enough (which is hard to tell from the renderings) they may be able to convert the parking levels. I've read through the Portland Zoning Code a few times and can't remember if the parking regulations say anything about parking having to be designed to be converted to other uses. Minneapolis has this requirement for structured parking and if Portland doesn't have it, I feel like that would be something worth adding. One day we'll have a lot of underutilized parking that could be converted to more valuable uses.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
If the floors are flat enough (which is hard to tell from the renderings) they may be able to convert the parking levels. I've read through the Portland Zoning Code a few times and can't remember if the parking regulations say anything about parking having to be designed to be converted to other uses. Minneapolis has this requirement for structured parking and if Portland doesn't have it, I feel like that would be something worth adding. One day we'll have a lot of underutilized parking that could be converted to more valuable uses.
The floors on the building u/c on the west side of the tracks right there are at a considerable angle, at least from what I could see from the street.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Apologies if this has been posted previously, but I was curious if there were any renderings of the Yale Union renovation/addition, and found this from a firm out of Brussels

Is there anything else out there on this?
I missed this when you posted it. Very interesting.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
The floors on the building u/c on the west side of the tracks right there are at a considerable angle, at least from what I could see from the street.
I think that's just the ramps on the side of the garage facing the river? Perhaps they could be removed at some point to provide a giant atrium? We can dream...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:08 AM

Is that 4 floors of parking for 8 floors of office? An excessive ratio, isn't it?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:15 PM

Central Eastside is fast becoming WPAs personal sandbox. Or should I say glassbox. ;-)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:57 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
Central Eastside is fast becoming WPAs personal sandbox. Or should I say glassbox. ;-)
It really is, I was noticing how many projects they have done or will be doing in that area. Starting to think it should be called the WPA District. Of course good for them for building their office in an odd location at the time and then getting their hands in just about every project that has gone up around them.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 7:12 PM

Grand Avenue Mixed Use was approved last week. Here's the applicant presentation [20 MB].

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Ecotrust opens its Central Eastside foodie campus (Photos)

A little less than four years after embarking on the ambitious creation of a two-block, food-centered campus in Portland's Central Eastside, Ecotrust has opened the Redd on Salmon Street.

Located in two buildings along Southeast Salmon Street and Southeast Seventh and Ninth avenues, the Redd brings a food business incubator and a last-mile distribution warehouse to close-in Portland. Already serving more than 170 food businesses and five core tenants, the Redd is also home to an event space that can accommodate up to 670 people and a 22,000-square-foot outdoor space.

“The Redd is strengthening connections — between urban and rural, eaters and food producers — in ways that that people can see, hear, touch and taste right here in the heart of the city,” said Jeremy Barnicle, Ecotrust's executive director, in a release. “These connections lead to healthier people, tighter communities, critical natural climate solutions, and more equitable economic development.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Food hub's other half set to open

As central east side warehouses are turning into offices, Ecotrust has bucked the trend with The Redd.

A two-block campus, The Redd runs along Salmon Street between Southeast Seventh and Ninth avenues. The west campus is a combination warehouse, shared office space and commissary. The east campus is an events space with a test kitchen and a parking lot which can be covered with a tent for big functions.

Redd West is a food hub: a distribution center for food startups that are too big for farmers markets but too small for the giant warehouses that ring the city and service dozens of 18 wheelers at a time. Redd East is a showcase for any kind of event, but with a particular emphasis on food. Preferably sustainable foods from within Ecotrust's Salmon Nation (the Pacific Northwest).

Emma Sharer, the Redd operations manager, came to the Redd from managing a national supply chain for a granola bar company. Before that she was with a grass-fed beef hot dog company in San Francisco. (She proudly served one to food writer Michael Pollan.)
...continues at the Business Tribune.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland