HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:44 PM

A project at 1500 SW Taylor St has been submitted for Type III Design Review by SERA Architects:

Quote:
11-story residential apartment development over below-grade structured parking.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 3:41 PM

The existing house on the site is now gone.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:55 AM

Quote:
124-Year-Old Holman House Has Been Demolished

PORTLAND, Ore. – A house built in 1892 by a prominent architect for a notable Portland resident has been torn down to make way for new development.

Located at 1500 SW Taylor St., the house was first reported on by this publication last spring when the city received a demolition application for the building. Some sources indicate it was built in 1892, while a few list an 1890 construction year.
...continues at the Portland Chronicle.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 12:00 AM
A before E

So basically a developer is trying to redevelop the entire block, which means a great old multi-unit building like this one needs to be torn down. It is a shame to see this building go because these are the types of buildings that should actually be preserved in Goose Hollow.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 3:24 PM

As someone who lives in Goose Hollow, I have to disagree. This was an average house surrounded by a sea of surface parking that happened to be attached to famous names. I am hopeful this new development will be well-done and fit in with the neighborhood, but mostly I am looking forward to more foot traffic in my neighborhood and possibly some nice new retail spaces.

Really, the only building on the whole block worth preserving is the 5-story brick apartment building in the middle of the western half-block. Would be really cool to see that contrasted with taller, more contemporart buildings on either side

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So basically a developer is trying to redevelop the entire block, which means a great old multi-unit building like this one needs to be torn down. It is a shame to see this building go because these are the types of buildings that should actually be preserved in Goose Hollow.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 12:24 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 8:48 PM

Drawings [PDF - 10MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 7:51 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 10MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.
At first look, I didn't mind the building. I think it looks like decent generic infill for that area....what made me laugh is when I got to the "inspiration" section of the drawings. I have seen all those buildings in NYC in person that has inspired them, they are some beautiful, well put together works of architecture. This building clearly falls short of their inspiration. Maybe if they wish to be inspired by great architecture, they should learn to strive for great architecture.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:40 AM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:02 PM

Revised Staff Report, which now recommends approval.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:02 PM

1500 SW Taylor was approved yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 1:32 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:57 PM

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:13 AM

Sorry to get anyone excited about this proposal by posting, but does anyone know if this and the proposal across the street are dead? It's been a very long time from design review approval to now. Is the permitting process that slow in Portland? It would be sad that they destroyed that previous building for an empty lot.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoonstorms View Post
Sorry to get anyone excited about this proposal by posting, but does anyone know if this and the proposal across the street are dead? It's been a very long time from design review approval to now. Is the permitting process that slow in Portland? It would be sad that they destroyed that previous building for an empty lot.
From what I can tell on PortlandMaps, it doesn't look like they ever applied for building permits.

What's the address of the "proposal across the street"?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:33 AM

Ah yeah, you're right. No activity since 3/17/17. So I guess that sums it up. The one across the street is 1440 SW Taylor which looks like a permit is under review as of 5/18/18.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:10 PM

It looks like the site is for sale, including the “fully-entitled, transit-oriented development”. If a new owner wants to move forward with this development they still have a few years.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:29 PM

Don’t you think they should’ve figured all that out before demolishing the old home?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 7:53 PM

Well I guess this is dead. A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled to discuss a 7-story building on this site:

Quote:
The proposed project design consists of 100 Residential Apartments on seven floors. We propose to create a sister building to our 930 SW 15th project across the street. The ground floor includes the Lobby, Housing Units, Commercial Spaces, a Mechanical Trash area and Parking for 30 cars. The second through the seventh floors includes Apartments and a roof top Patio and green roof. Site Area = 15,168 SF (.35 acres) The total gross square footage is 74,780. The Development will connect to existing water & storm water pipes in SW Taylor Street. See existing utility plans attached.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland