HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:47 AM

The Press Blocks (Oregonian Publishing Buildings) | 250' | 23 floors | U/C

-------------------------

Original Post:

The Oregonian is going to outsource its printing and sell its facilities in Goose Hollow. This is clearly a blow for those who work there, but hardly one that wasn't widely predicted.

The reason I'm posting it here is that it's not often that entire blocks in the central city come up for sale, particularly with such intense zoning. The allowable base height is 250' and the FAR 6:1. They could likely receive bonuses to 325' height / 9:1 FAR. By way of comparison the Cosmopolitan is 341' / 9:1.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:52 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

WOW! That's phenomenal news! Yeah, it's bad news for those at the O, but there's not much left of the O anymore. Has the paper hit rock bottom yet, or are things there still just getting worse?

The Oregonian's blocks in Goose Hollow are HIDEOUS buildings. What an opportunity for something great! What a game changer for Goose Hollow.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 AM

I hope this site gets used to its fullest potential rather than another 5 over 1 building.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The Oregonian is going to outsource its printing and sell its facilities in Goose Hollow. This is clearly a blow for those who work there, but hardly one that wasn't widely predicted.

The reason I'm posting it here is that it's not often that entire blocks in the central city come up for sale, particularly with such intense zoning. The allowable base height is 250' and the FAR 6:1. They could likely receive bonuses to 325' height / 9:1 FAR. By way of comparison the Cosmopolitan is 341' / 9:1.
Years ago in grade school, I went on a tour of the printing plant. The building goes down three floors. The entire press is below street level. And there is an underground tunnel between the 1/2 block building to the east and the main printing plant. I would imagine that having three levels of potential underground parking already excavated would be a huge financial benefit. This one will be interesting to watch.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:16 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Funny how, when reporting on their own paper in their own paper, they neglect to mention how they're eliminating up to 200 jobs.

Don't get me wrong... this is an amazing opportunity for the Goose Hollow neighborhood, and it could turn out to be a catalyst for development beyond the O's blocks. I've been hoping for years that the O would sell those blocks. I just foolishly assumed they'd move their printing elsewhere rather than farm it out to somebody else.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 10:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I wonder when that nasty concrete bunker next door will be demolished? Supposedly, The Oregonian (or, more accurately, what's left of The O) outsourced their printing as of last summer and will sell their Goose Hollow property.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 12:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I wonder when that nasty concrete bunker next door will be demolished? Supposedly, The Oregonian (or, more accurately, what's left of The O) outsourced their printing as of last summer and will sell their Goose Hollow property.
Now that is a building I wouldn't mind seeing taken down by a bulldozer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 12:27 AM

Yeah that's some nice real estate, isn't it right on the MAX line? This is like Goose Hollow's own little version of the Post Office site. Something really great could happen here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:05 PM

The Oregonian Printing Press blocks are under contract, the plan is for a mixed-use office/multi-family development.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:36 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your speculation. GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss the following:

Quote:
Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Type III Design Review and possible Type III Central City Parking Review for the proposed redevelopment of the Oregonian Publishing buildings near SW 17th and Yamhill. The applicant is considering several designs for a project that will include office, retail, housing and parking. The submitted plans identify 513 parking spaces proposed to support the proposed residential units and the commercial spaces, as well as be available as shared spaces for other nearby uses. No upper-level floor plans or exterior elevations were submitted. The applicant has submitted a list of questions for staff's response.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Mar 7, 2016 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Gentlemen, start your speculation. GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss the following:
Only "Gentlemen", contribute to this forum? I am surprised.. Just saying..

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:56 PM

The height limits according to the adopted plan seem to be 325 feet. With all that parking (next to a light rail station) I'm guessing this is going to be a pretty large project.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:56 PM

Duly noted

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:59 PM

If it does get up to 325 feet, the upper floors are going to have phenomenal views all the way around.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:07 PM

Having been on a tour of the printing press building, it goes underground three levels. Also, there is a tunnel between the two buildings where giant rolls of paper were moved from the storage building to the printing press. I don't know how many levels under ground the storage building is but my guess is at least two levels. So you save a ton on excavation for underground parking. I can totally see how you can get 300+ parking spots underground.

This is a spot where I would totally be OK with a 20+ story building. The great views into Providence Park would make this a A+ for residential. This has the potential to bring life to an otherwise dead part of town.

Last edited by babs; Mar 7, 2016 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 10:41 AM
Karma Police

How much property does the Oregonian own in Goose Hollow? Is it two full blocks, or do they own more than that?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
How much property does the Oregonian own in Goose Hollow? Is it two full blocks, or do they own more than that?
They own the half block across from the eastbound MAX station and the full block across the street. They are the similar looking warehouse style concrete bunkers that you see there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Seattle developer would turn Oregonian pressroom facilities to housing, office space

Seattle-based Urban Renaissance Group is already redeveloping one newspaper building in Portland. Now, it wants to double down.

Documents filed with the city show that the company is interested in demolishing the Goose Hollow pressroom facilities that used to print and distribute The Oregonian. In place of the facilities, the developer would build a mixed-use project with office, housing and retail components. The plan also calls for 513 parking spaces.

The company is already in the midst of a major overhaul of The Oregonian's old newsroom and business office at 1320 S.W. Broadway. It bought that property for $14.5 million in 2014 and said it would spend even more than the purchase price on renovation.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:17 AM

I don't usually worry too much about height, but 85-160 feet is pretty underwhelming.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:06 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I don't usually worry too much about height, but 85-160 feet is pretty underwhelming.
It's Portland they call it stump town for a reason

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland