HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
My main point is that like most of my opinions they are very densely cemented in real life experience, and not just some navel gazing opinions of someone who spends to much time on wikipedia/fox news.

as an adult(excluding high school) I've had 5 friends that I would call based on something "real".

My best friend who's directly integrated into the filipino community.

My Libyan friend, who I nearly convinced to return home and do his military service(6 months before the arab spring).

My drug addicted autistic musician friend who speak of the devil is bisexual(I actually forgot that)

My ukrainian friend who ran from the ukrainian mob after they burned down his medical practice. Who tried three times to become a refugee.

And my autistic friend who's a bisexual artist whos more than a bit obsessed with teh idea he might be transgendered. Who has spent years being pharmied by his government supplied shrink who spends 90 percent of his time working with violent offenders.

And when I think of these people my opinion of trump does not change. His style is a bit absurd but he's the only one offering solutions.
I see that too and it's a bit scary. (Well, in the American perspective anyway.)

One can't say that JT isn't offering solutions in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Wow that's an interesting turn of events. Also why I'm always a little wary before official reports come out.

It does seem that it's been pretty common where these sorts of attacks have started with "multiple gunmen" and then it turns out to be a lone wolf situation. I would imagine that witness testimony can be very unreliable in the heat of the moment.
On a related note while ya'll try to figure out who's side he's on.

I'm wondering how long it is until we start seeing a pile of evidence that he is in fact autistic.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I see that too and it's a bit scary. (Well, in the American perspective anyway.)

One can't say that JT isn't offering solutions in Canada.
People have a very real concern a huge proportion of these terrorist attacks come from a small subset of islamic nations?

And Trudeaus answer to the problem is to increase immigration from these countries,.

Yeah that's a really logical way to resolve conflict.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
People have a very real concern a huge proportion of these terrorist attacks come from a small subset of islamic nations?

And Trudeaus answer to the problem is to increase immigration from these countries,.

Yeah that's a really logical way to resolve conflict.
His premise is that people who are happy don't tend to kill people they consider to be their friends. You may think this is unrealistic but it is nonetheless something tangible.

As for immigration, Canada doesn't target or exclude specific countries from the immigration process. It's all based on the points system and doesn't take into account country of origin (unless you want to count knowledge of English and/or French that indirectly gives people from certain countries freebie points on their score).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
His premise is that people who are happy don't tend to kill people they consider to be their friends. You may think this is unrealistic but it is nonetheless something tangible.

As for immigration, Canada doesn't target or exclude specific countries from the immigration process. It's all based on the points system and doesn't take into account country of origin (unless you want to count knowledge of English and/or French that indirectly gives people from certain countries freebie points on their score).
does that system even exist for refugees?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

We need to start banning white Quebecois from Quebec, until we find out what the hell is going on.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
does that system even exist for refugees?
It's a totally different acceptance system obviously, and one that is not based on points, but rather on an assessment of the validity of the ''threat" (in their country of origin) to the person claiming refugee status.

Refugee claimants that have nothing to bring to the Canadian table from an economic standpoint can still be accepted.

If you can get on Canadian soil, you're also allowed to stay in Canada until your case is heard and judged upon. Delays can be long.

Anyway, I don't know why people are so concerned about refugees as, from a terrorism standpoint, there haven't been any cases where they've been involved.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
We need to start banning white Quebecois from Quebec, until we find out what the hell is going on.
FYI, banning Muslims would also totally fix this problem

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Considering most institutions are deeply concerned with screening out peoples who might potentially be a problem. I don't know what the sweet fuck you are talking about. The police, education, pharmacy departments fuck even the red cross screen their recruits.

Generally the logical and common viewpoint is "how the fuck did this guy get a gun".

I'm the autistic guy who's pointing out that there's a reasonable chance he might be on the spectrum too.

It's of course something that no one refuses to acknowledge despite that they are common traits among many of the extremist.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's a totally different acceptance system obviously, and one that is not based on points, but rather on an assessment of the validity of the ''threat" (in their country of origin) to the person claiming refugee status.

Refugee claimants that have nothing to bring to the Canadian table from an economic standpoint can still be accepted.

If you can get on Canadian soil, you're also allowed to stay in Canada until your case is heard and judged upon. Delays can be long.

Anyway, I don't know why people are so concerned about refugees as, from a terrorism standpoint, there haven't been any cases where they've been involved.

The links to violence and unemployment are also incredibly high.

Of course if you every actually get someone to admit this, they'll immediately double down trying to prop up the narrative that it's intolerance of the people living in refugee saturated neighbourhoods that are the problem.

This of course doesn't change the narrative of if its actually a problem.

Just simply means it's not the fault of left wingers when the whole things fall apart.

It's the deflection of responsibility of the left that is really causing a problem.

The lazy fair approach being used in germany is gonna be an absolute fucking disaster.

There's a real paradox with refugees.

To be an actual refugee your generally so fucked up that you will require rather extensive services upon reaching the new land.

Since these services don't exist for the citizens of the host countries it's a completely flawed and un-democratic system.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The links to violence and unemployment are also incredibly high.
Of course if you every actually get someone to admit this, they'll immediately double down trying to prop up the narrative that it's intolerance of the people living in refugee saturated neighbourhoods that are the problem.
Only for refugees from a very small number of specific countries.

My neighbouring city of Ottawa actually one fairly serious issue of this type. Not so much with the refugees themselves, but with their kids.

OTOH:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...rtraits-canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The lazy fair approach being used in germany is gonna be an absolute fucking disaster.

That's a totally different order of magnitude compared to what we have in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:48 PM

For the record, it took me a couple seconds to properly realize what this "foire paresseuse" approach is supposed to be...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
For the record, it took me a couple seconds to properly realize what this "foire paresseuse" approach is supposed to be...
I opted to be gracious.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:17 PM
Registered Drug User

Was listening to CBC reporting on how frightened Muslim schoolkids are ("are they going to come to our mosque?"), and it suddenly brought to mind something I once heard a right wing media drone say, which was that he didn't believe in hate crimes because a crime is a crime.

I thought then, and it's only been reinforced now, that no, that's not right. While murdering any six people at one time is horrific enough, the perpetrator specifically intended to terrorize all Muslims, and in this he was successful.

Same thing with the white supremacist douche who shot up a black church in North Carolina. His sole intent was to terrorize all people with black skin, because the only reason he shot them was because they were black.

There were no other reasons for shooting them. If he'd shot them because all six of them owed him a lot of money and there were reports of the shooting victims taunting him publicly and privately about never paying him back, well, in that case the motive might be diffused somewhat, and it's conceivable that the perceived racist threat against all black people living in the vicinity might be lessened somewhat.

It is not hyperbole whatsoever to characterize this attack in Quebec City as an attack on all Muslims in Canada. As a Muslim in BC, say, you can rationalize to yourself that it was far away and hopefully random like a plane crash, but the whole point of the perpetrator's enterprise was to plant niggling seeds of doubt in your mind about just how safe you are as a Muslim in Canada.

I'm going to the vigil here in Stratford this evening. I'm an atheist, and I can't say I like very much theologically about Islam, but I have family members who are Muslims and lots of casual acquaintances who are Muslims.

With all the odious rhetorical garbage and actions coming out of Washington DC these days, it feels like the right thing to do. Solidarity. Community. All that good stuff. And I'm under no illusion that I'm positively impacting anything. Practically speaking I'm quite aware that really, this is just a spiritual balm for myself.

Said the atheist. Heh...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
That's a totally different order of magnitude compared to what we have in Canada.
He means laissez faire, right?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Was listening to CBC reporting on how frightened Muslim schoolkids are ("are they going to come to our mosque?"), and it suddenly brought to mind something I once heard a right wing media drone say, which was that he didn't believe in hate crimes because a crime is a crime.

I thought then, and it's only been reinforced now, that no, that's not right. While murdering any six people at one time is horrific enough, the perpetrator specifically intended to terrorize all Muslims, and in this he was successful.

Same thing with the white supremacist douche who shot up a black church in North Carolina. His sole intent was to terrorize all people with black skin, because the only reason he shot them was because they were black.

There were no other reasons for shooting them. If he'd shot them because all six of them owed him a lot of money and there were reports of the shooting victims taunting him publicly and privately about never paying him back, well, in that case the motive might be diffused somewhat, and it's conceivable that the perceived racist threat against all black people living in the vicinity might be lessened somewhat.

It is not hyperbole whatsoever to characterize this attack in Quebec City as an attack on all Muslims in Canada. As a Muslim in BC, say, you can rationalize to yourself that it was far away and hopefully random like a plane crash, but the whole point of the perpetrator's enterprise was to plant niggling seeds of doubt in your mind about just how safe you are as a Muslim in Canada.

I'm going to the vigil here in Stratford this evening. I'm an atheist, and I can't say I like very much theologically about Islam, but I have family members who are Muslims and lots of casual acquaintances who are Muslims.

With all the odious rhetorical garbage and actions coming out of Washington DC these days, it feels like the right thing to do. Solidarity. Community. All that good stuff. And I'm under no illusion that I'm positively impacting anything. Practically speaking I'm quite aware that really, this is just a spiritual balm for myself.

Said the atheist. Heh...
Have you contacted the investigators to tell them that there's no need for them to do any further work now that you've determined with 100% accuracy the shooter's motive? Might as well contact the justice system as well since you've already more or less said the guy wanted to commit genocide. I'm surprised you didn't call for his lynching tonight.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
He means laissez faire, right?
Yes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
His style is a bit absurd but he's the only one offering solutions.
Your definition of "solution" and the actual definition of "solution" seem to be at odds. But if you want to pretend that Trump's fear mongering and xenophobic lashing out without thought or logic passes as a "solution", by all means, continue being ignorant.

The anecdotes about your friendships don't give you insight into how his policies are regressive as well as adversely having an effect on people while creating more problems instead of fixing them. Ceding policies to neo nazi Bannon is making us all less safe while eroding basic values and principles.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:45 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Have you contacted the investigators to tell them that there's no need for them to do any further work now that you've determined with 100% accuracy the shooter's motive?
Yeah, sorry, I ought to backtrack on this. I guess it really is a stretch assuming that randomly spraying gunfire in a mosque is an act of terror against Muslims.

Maybe everybody in the mosque last night owed him money? You think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Might as well contact the justice system as well since you've already more or less said the guy wanted to commit genocide. I'm surprised you didn't call for his lynching tonight.
I didn't actually "more or less" say that he wanted to commit genocide, but rather, that his intent was to terrorize Muslims. Seems like an obvious difference to me, but that might be too nuanced for you to understand.

If the rather soft and conciliatory tone of my post lead you to think that I'm a likely candidate for suggesting or carrying out a lynching, well, I'd politely suggest that you don't have much of a grasp of politics or tone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada