HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:30 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;3147690]The new view will be just as exciting. Behold:

This would be awesome for another observation deck. At least on one of the floors.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
This would be awesome for another observation deck. At least on one of the floors.
Imagine standing on top, under the diamond...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:54 PM
I love boxes.

Imagine sliding down the tower.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:06 PM
World Machine

They can safety net the edges, and convert it into an executive ski slope in the winter.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:38 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
1,500 ft wind? 2,000 ft? I never really found it windy up there though.

Another thing about the outdoor deck at the WTC, it wasn't always open (for obvious reasons).
What do you really mean by 1500' and 2000' ? What are trying to say ?

Last edited by aluminum; Nov 7, 2007 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:06 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
At least Maculay Culkin was lucky enough to have visited the Twins and the outdoor obs deck and take some pics up there with his camera when he was a little boy.

Even though it was a movie he was doing!

I never did!! However, I'm NOT missining out on visiting the Freedom Tower though!!!!
[B][SIZE="3"]IT WAS INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE TO TO BE UP THERE, LOOKING AT THAT CLIP MAKES IT SAD , THAT WE WILL NEVER HAVE THAT. I AT LEAST GOT TO SEE IT ALOT I TIMES , MY LAST VISIT UP AUG. OF 2000.....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]IT WAS INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE TO TO BE UP THERE, LOOKING AT THAT CLIP MAKES IT SAD , THAT WE WILL NEVER HAVE THAT. I AT LEAST GOT TO SEE IT ALOT I TIMES , MY LAST VISIT UP AUG. OF 2000.....

Actually, I WAS making plans to visit the Twins later in '01, but those plans got canned by those basket cases who knocked them down!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 9:39 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Well, at least be glad you didn't make that trip late in 2001... like around September 11, Daquan!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 9:42 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Those are some very cool shots.
I think that with our sometimes manic fixation with height figures, we tend to forget that this site is ALSO quite possibly the most work-intensive urban project on the face of the planet at this moment...

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Nov 8, 2007 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
Let's Eat!

Boy the site is starting to get "clean" up. But before the get back to street level how much underground work is needed? Four levels is what i remember seeing but is there also going to be rail access here too?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
JoeCooper

Please stop bringing up the former WTC into this thread!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari82 View Post
Boy the site is starting to get "clean" up. But before the get back to street level how much underground work is needed? Four levels is what i remember seeing but is there also going to be rail access here too?

There is a lot of info on that on the previous pages back. You'll find all that you need to know there.

Nothing against you at all, but a lot of ppl have been asking questions like that.

Right, ChapinM1! This thread shouldn't have any of that.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 11:45 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
There is a lot of info on that on the previous pages back. You'll find all that you need to know there.

Nothing against you at all, but a lot of ppl have been asking questions like that.
Instead of telling people to go back and read 2000 posts all the time why dont you write a FAQ and have Mark put it on the first post?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Gee, that's funny. Wiseguy!

You thought of it, why couldn't YOU do it?

But I just did. Thanks.

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 12:00 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I think that with our sometimes manic fixation with height figures, we tend to forget that this site is ALSO quite possibly these most work-intensive urban project on the face of the planet at this moment...
Trust me, I am one of the few on this forum who realizes that.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
So, once again, the Freedom Tower will NOT get an outdoor obs deck, so DON'T ASK.
That's correct, though the reason that it's not getting an outdoor deck is because there is no space for it on the roof among the antenna equipment, not because there are already two decks in the city.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:51 AM

In one of those pics I noticed the tent over the PATH entrance. That was made in Surrey, British Columbia (near Vancouver):

Quote:

A Tentnology crew rehearses the erection of a tent custom-designed for the World Trade Center site in New York.
Wayne Leidenfrost, The Province

Big tent bound for Big Apple
Cloverdale firm provides coverage for 9/11 ceremony

Frank Luba, The Province
Published: Thursday, August 30, 2007

Down a quiet country lane yesterday in Cloverdale, Gery Warner was busy putting up a tent.

But almost as soon as the massive white structure was complete Warner and his "Tentnologists" had to take it down so it could be trucked to New York.

That's where the nine-tonne tent, which is 18 metres wide, 26 metres long and 11 metres high, will be permanently erected at the former site of the World Trade Center in time for the ceremonies that will commemorate the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist tragedy.

Warner is president of Tentnology Inc., the internationally known Surrey fabric-structure design company that has been based in Cloverdale for 17 years.

He's made larger and higher tents, notably a structure that covered four hectares in Seoul, South Korea, for an air show.

But the New York tent is special.

"It's a one-off," he said of a structure that had to be as special as the spot it will cover.

Tentnology bid on the Port Authority of New York job last year and won for its design.

"They needed something to show progress and this can certainly do that," said Warner.

"I proposed an alternative that was a little more uplifting and stirring and inspirational," he explained of the soaring tent, which is held up by an aluminum truss system.

It's essentially an "extremely modified" version of the company's "saddle-span" design.

"This is very much like the Children's Festival tents," Warner said, referring to the popular Vancouver event, "only it's like the kids' fest tents on steroids.

"It has to be for New York snow load, New York wind. It's permanent.

"Who knows how long it's going to be there, but it's designed for permanent."

There wasn't enough wind in Surrey yesterday afternoon to ruffle Warner's hair but in New York the tent will be held down by steel cables attached to concrete pylons.

"It's like a big hang glider that's not supposed to fly," said Warner with a laugh. "It shall not."

The tent took about two days to erect but company workers, Warner's "Tentnologists," will have less time than that to put it up in New York.

Tentnology's structures have been used at the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, the 2004 Athens Olympics and the World Cup of Soccer that was staged in the U.S.

Warner concedes the World Trade Center tent, which will be over the subway entrance, is a little extra special.

"It's going to a site that everyone knows about, that's for sure," he admitted.

But from a field in Surrey to New York City, it's still just another job for Tentnology.

fluba@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 9:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
That's correct, though the reason that it's not getting an outdoor deck is because there is no space for it on the roof among the antenna equipment, not because there are already two decks in the city.

The point that I was trying to make is while ppl. are bitching for a 2nd (outdoor) obs deck for the tower, there are other buildings that feature one.

And the ESB has two. So, it's not like there aren't any around, and they can enjoy them right now.

They need to stop complaining for things that the tower won't have and start
trying to appreciate some of the things that it WILL have!

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 8, 2007 at 9:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 1:51 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I think that with our sometimes manic fixation with height figures, we tend to forget that this site is ALSO quite possibly the most work-intensive urban project on the face of the planet at this moment...
that is so true, this site is the most complex, on earth, IT EVEN PUTS THE BURJ DUBAI TO SHAME .

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 1:52 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

look at the eastern tub, looking great, will there be a sluurywall /tub on the north side as well, on the earstern side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive