HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:50 AM

Update by me from today. The townhouses are physically separate from the apartment building which is different than I imagined but seems to work well anyways.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:00 PM

I snapped these today;

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 1:16 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Update by me from today. The townhouses are physically separate from the apartment building which is different than I imagined but seems to work well anyways.

I get the feeling that if they had of spent an extra $100,000 on the exterior finishes that this could have looked much better (or even if they had of picked lighter precast panels at no extra cost).

The grey precast panels and corrugated steel (?) at the end of the building really makes it look dreary to me. Before the exterior went on, I had hopes that it would turn out better than the rendering but unfortunately it has turned out to be very true to the renderings.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:50 PM

Here are a couple shots from last night. I think the other end of the building is much better than what you see from Windmill.

Imgur Album

I'd include the pictures directly on here but I couldn't resize them.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:07 PM

No photos since getting out the entrance for this project is near impossible but I've noticed the Ralston/Sea Point/Windmill traffic lights are being installed. Also foundation work has begun for Magazine Landing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
No photos since getting out the entrance for this project is near impossible but I've noticed the Ralston/Sea Point/Windmill traffic lights are being installed. Also foundation work has begun for Magazine Landing.
There's also a sign saying that a Starbucks is coming soon to Magazine Landing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:38 PM

Just a correction on my part. The Starbucks building that is under construction is in the Magazine Landing parking lot but is not the building itself. The Site Plan shows a "combo" building similar to what you see with Wendys and Tims.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:20 AM

Got sick of waiting in traffic tonight.

Photo by Dmajackson a.k.a. Urban_Halifax on flickr.com[/URL]

Photo by Dmajackson a.k.a. Urban_Halifax on flickr.com

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
So according to the Kijiji Ad I just found a luxury 1-bedroom apartment in a brand-new building in Halifax gets rented for $100/month less than I currently pay for a 1-bedroom in a 40+ year old building in Calgary.

Kijiji Ad
I know that ad is down, but I thought I remembered seeing it at about $900 a month or so. The rent is now up to $1200 for one bedroom. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apa...ront/555781864 Too much IMO, mind you most rent prices in Halifax area are out of control... I swear there must be some sort of collusion among the developers...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I know that ad is down, but I thought I remembered seeing it at about $900 a month or so. The rent is now up to $1200 for one bedroom. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apa...ront/555781864 Too much IMO, mind you most rent prices in Halifax area are out of control... I swear there must be some sort of collusion among the developers...
The rent varied from as low as $900 for the lowest floor up to $1300 for the top floor for a one bedroom. It is pricey, but it does include underground parking, something you often pay an additional $50-$100 per month. It'll be interesting to see how they price the condos they plan to start in the next year.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:28 PM

The public hearing for Phase II will be held soon. The plans call for two 16-storey towers very similar to the existing building.

Case 18809

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 8:57 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
The public hearing for Phase II will be held soon. The plans call for two 16-storey towers very similar to the existing building.

Case 18809
It is too bad that they don't have colour renderings. Building 3 looks interesting architecturally (it is hard to judge whether it will be good or bad, just different than buildings 1 and 2). Building 2 might be ok if they avoid the terrible looking corrugated steel that they used on building 1, and if they pick a lighter shade of precast concrete.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:51 AM

They look pretty good!

I just wish that one day a developer could incorporate townhousing units similar style to an East Coast row house, with these kinds of developments. But I may be wrong to wish such a thing .

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 8:21 PM

This is turning out to be a great new community for this area - every time I visit home I make a point to drive by and have a look. Much like King's Wharf, this is going to anchor the other side of Dartmouth (like King's Wharf anchors the downtown of Dartmouth).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
This is turning out to be a great new community for this area - every time I visit home I make a point to drive by and have a look. Much like King's Wharf, this is going to anchor the other side of Dartmouth (like King's Wharf anchors the downtown of Dartmouth).
I cannot think why people would purchase/rent in that location ..........unless they work in Burnside and have a boat........and don't mind cold NW winds in winter. Would families want to live there ?
And it is at odds with the RP+5 and plans to increase density in the centre i.e inside the circumferential. Never mind, it is outside money so let them fill their boots. Who is supplying the construction financing ?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I cannot think why people would purchase/rent in that location ..........unless they work in Burnside and have a boat........and don't mind cold NW winds in winter.
There are probably a lot of people who work in Burnside and own boats and don't mind cold NW winds in winter. When built out, it will also be a nice little neighbourhood that is substantially different from most in the Halifax area other than King's Wharf, and it's right on the water. I could see a lot of people wanting to live there. The architecture and layout of Harbour Isle (and King's Wharf) actually really reminds me of what you'd see in Vancouver (and not many other parts of Canada)... I think one of the firms behind HI is actually from Van.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 5:37 PM

I find nothing looks like the development plan renderings for this one or even buildings in the same place as they looked they would be.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 12:20 PM

The public hearing for the next phase of construction will be held on September 11th at the Sportsplex. On a related topic The Hazelton starts occupancy this month;

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:29 AM

I'm sure most have seen that the Starbucks is now open. There will be a Pita Pit going in the other side of the building.

A few rumors are that the Battered Fish will be putting in a location in the same area as the Starbucks and Pita Pit, and the excavation for the second tower on the site is proposed to begin in February.

Nearby, the old Cole Harbour Glass building on Wright Avenue was torn down and the site leveled off. This is directly behind the Irving at the corner of Wright and Windmill. I've heard mixed messages about the possibility of a Big Stop going in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs