HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Well hello, Rock!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....3tfCPpcCFqg%3D

Um... eyes right--that's the side trim of a '58 Chrysler. Rock did at least one CryCo commercial. Here he's looking equally good in one for the '59 DeSoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrUZrvuRSc

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post

slide/ebay

Looking at Dillon's, I can't help but think that the building used to house a Pontiac dealership. The main part of the sign is identical to the Pontiac logo, but I can't find any reference to a car dealer at that location. Any ideas?
I've never come across a Pontiac dealer at 6100 Sunset, and somehow I don't think that GM would have been too happy if a diner had retained the logo. Most likely it's just a coincidence, or the owner drove, say, a '63 Grand Prix like the one cruising by in the pic above....

All: ebay.com

Quote:
I don't know. As a New Yorker, I think the trees add a nice "small town" touch to a very urban setting. I'm much more troubled by the Prius taxi. I would never ride in a Prius taxi. I would want to get to my destination TODAY, thank you very much!

Well, I suppose I could argue that this is Los Angeles, not a small town. Anyway, I was kidding about the trees. It was a reference to wanting a better view of the architecture.

As for the Prius...as a New Yorker, I just get into whatever cab comes along. Half the taxis in the city are hybrids, for one thing... and as the owner of a Prius (bought at Toyota Santa Monica and driven back east)--it's a great little car for the city... 52mpg is especially pleasant.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....3tfCPpcCFqg%3D

Um... eyes right--that's the side trim of a '58 Chrysler. Rock did at least one CryCo commercial. Here he's looking equally good in one for the '59 DeSoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrUZrvuRSc
I see that Mr. Hudson dressed on the right.

Love the DeSoto commercial. It would've been great to have him take me out to the back lot and have me feel the way it takes the bumps.

Regarding the Pontiac logo, it's interesting to me that the arrow design (supposedly to represent an arrowhead) only dated from 1957; prior to that, the Pontiac logo used to look like this:

dinesh.com

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Mar 18, 2012 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 7:55 PM

Speaking of Pontiacs...

USCDL
GoogleSV

From the vintage picture's caption: "An inspection party's 1929 Pontiac Big Six parked in front of the new Myra Street and Sunset Boulevard bridge--another traffic bottleneck 'uncorked'," said the Examiner of August 3, 1929, hailing the soon-to-be-completed bridge's opening of a new shortcut from Glendale south and west.

and speaking of rocks.... I meant eyes to the right of the picture, sopas, not to his right. And I suspect it would have been smooth sailing over those back-lot bumps, what with that torsion-bar suspension....

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:33 AM

I made some great discoveries today.

I've always heard rumors that Charlie Chaplin built a 'storybook style' apartment complex near his studio for his staff and workers.

As a reminder....this is Charlie Chaplin's old studio along La Brea Avenue (now Jim Henson Studios...hence the frog).
It's quite whimsical compared to other studios from the 1920s. I wonder if these same architects also designed the elusive Chaplin apartments?

I vaguely remember that Formosa Avenue and Poinsettia Place were mentioned as possible locations. I decided to concentrate on Formosa first.

google street view

above: Charlie Chaplin's old studio is located at the red 'teardrop' A upper right. Formosa Ave. is in the lower left.

As I searched along N. Formosa Avenue I came across this mysterious little place.

google street view

below: A closer view.

google street view

After a few more searches I decided the address might be 1330 N. Formosa Avenue / As with everything else on the Internet this address led to a plethora of information.

It turns out Road_Runner on 'Jalopy Journal' used to live in these apartments. Here is a link to his story. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...&postcount=586

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...&postcount=586

below: The interior courtyard.

Yet no one is 100% sure that Charlie Chaplin built these apartments.
____

Over at Allen Ellenberger's excellent blog he posted this in 2009.

http://blog.allanellenberger.com/boo...plin-film-set/

...and again...also in 2009.

http://allanellenberger.com/tag/charlie-chaplin/

below: Another view of the fantastic inner courtyard (complete with pirate flag).

http://blog.allanellenberger.com/boo...plin-film-set/

below: The 'tower'.

http://la.curbed.com/

below: Built in wooden cabinets and eclectic doorways.

below: I would live here just for that groovy window.

This hidden treasure is a gem even if it has no association with Charlie Chaplin. I hear that artists and aspiring actors still reside in this fantastic setting. The cottage with the pirate flag is inhabited by a 'fencing' couple.....pure Los Angeles.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 1:52 PM

Blind alleys

Fantastic find, e_r. Well, when I saw the Formosa Avenue apartment, I thought not only of this shot from an old post of mine (here), but I also vaguely remembered a Chaplin reference in that post, and thought maybe... but no.

I also thought of Harry Oliver, of course, but can find no mention of him in connection with the Formosa apartments, even on his fan page (klaxo.net).

According to general internet lore about Hollywood, Chaplin frequented the Tam O'Shanter... could he have been inspired by Oliver's design...if he built Formosa Ave.? Some seem certain that Chaplin did build the apartments, such as the author of Storybook Style: http://storybookers.com/sb--profile-...n%20court.html

Also certain is a tenant who posted on Allan Ellenberger's site (maybe you saw this):

"My husband and I live in the cottage with the pirate flag, which has been replaced with a more modest pirate windsock, since we earn a substantial part of our living in the courtyard as swordplay experts and fencing instructors. We moved in because Douglas Fairbanks fenced here, and because it was a marvelous place to live. We have confirmed that the complex was built by Chaplin in 1923 as a sort of dormitory for the actors working at United Artists Studios (now Jim Henson Studios) two blocks away on La Brea. To live here you have to be pretty nuts – the current residents are all zany performers, musicians, producers, and actors of one kind or another. Swashbuckling occurs regularly in the courtyard.

I wonder how this poster confirmed that Chaplin built the complex?

Someone else on Ellenberger's site was apparently checking into city land records, but then there's no follow-up...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:10 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
...I naively thought all Fred Harvey Restaurants were in train stations
(Los Angeles Union Station had a beautiful Fred Harvey until it closed in 1967).

After I found out the address I was able to find more information on this particular Fred Harvey Restaurant. It turns out, the restaurant
was part of a Santa Fe Trailways Travel Center that used to be located at 1735 Cahuenga Boulevard. (phone GLadstone 1266)

below: This ad says it all.

http://laist.com/2010/01/30/laistory...n_cahuenga.php...
I took the L.A. Conservancy's Union Station tour yesterday, which was excellent. There's much more to that place than I had ever imagined, and they let us visit several behind the scenes locations. One was the Harvey House, which has been closed for decades but is still used for film shoots and events. I was surprised that the former restaurant is mostly intact, and in good condition.

The place is huge and quite grand inside but it was pretty dark, and my picture taking was limited to smaller scenes where I could use the flash. Here are a few shots.

Steps leading to one of the raised booth sections on the side. The low walls feature western style tack embroidery.

One of the raised dining areas. The booths are still there but the tables are gone.

One of two stairways leading to the upstairs balcony. Note the water dispenser on the right, with hammered copper surround.

Inside the huge U shaped dining counter in the center of the room.

Behind these big sconces which were high on the walls I think there were speakers that were used for departure announcements, etc.

Refrigerated food storage, back in the kitchen. Most of the kitchen is still intact. They served huge numbers of diners, and had to get the food out quickly.

Last edited by 3940dxer; Mar 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:45 PM

harveyhouses.net

David--great detail shots.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 5:12 PM

WHY doesn't some enterprising restaurateur (or group of them) come along, renovate, and re-open this space?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:04 PM

I was wondering if people here could help me out, moderators can delete this post after I (possibly) get an answer.

I was in an vintage store and found and bought this cool double-sided porcelin street sign:

I live right near 7th Street in Phoenix and it was a good price, so I had to buy it. I didn't think it was actually originally from Phoenix, and the lady I bought it from said it came from California.

Can any of you place where this might be from based on the age (porcelin, old) color, shape, font and street numbers? There are probably a million 800 Seventh Streets around the country, so I'm not sure where it's from or even if it really is from California. I did see that there was an 800 Seventh Street in Santa Monica, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can place it? Thanks

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
WHY doesn't some enterprising restaurateur (or group of them) come along, renovate, and re-open this space?
SERIOUSLY. I've always wondered why that space has remained closed, it's gorgeous.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I was wondering if people here could help me out, moderators can delete this post after I (possibly) get an answer.

I was in an vintage store and found and bought this cool double-sided porcelin street sign:

I live right near 7th Street in Phoenix and it was a good price, so I had to buy it. I didn't think it was actually originally from Phoenix, and the lady I bought it from said it came from California.

Can any of you place where this might be from based on the age (porcelin, old) color, shape, font and street numbers? There are probably a million 800 Seventh Streets around the country, so I'm not sure where it's from or even if it really is from California. I did see that there was an 800 Seventh Street in Santa Monica, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can place it? Thanks
Those look very similar to the street signs found in Burbank, before a few years ago when Burbank started switching to street signs that look very similar to the ones now used in Pasadena (which itself changed its street signs around 8 or 9 years ago).

The city of Norwalk used this type of street sign before switching to a new design in the early 1990s. If I remember correctly, Burbank and Norwalk did indeed use this type of street sign, green with white lettering, and no city designation on them. I think it's common (and seems to have become more common), particularly in the LA area, for many cities to have their city names and city seals on their street signs, being that many suburban cities in the LA area all run together.

In fact, the type of street sign in your pic is very similar to the ones used in my city, except "SOUTH PASADENA" is on them. Culver City uses a similar street sign:

Photo by me

I also wouldn't doubt that the style of street sign in the picture was/is also used in northern California cities.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:59 PM

Fantastic photographs David! I had no idea so much of the old Fred Harvey is still intact.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 8:51 PM

Gaylord - I will count you as another convert.

Albany - It's the CHOICE of trees that matter. I am trees. But in the right location.

The problem is that around 40 or 50 years ago every community in So Cal went bonkers with ficus. And now we have the sidewalk-busting, sun-blocking, architecture-hiding legacy to deal with.

I lived near NYC for a number of years, and I can tell you that even the small towns there aren't so stupid as to plant ficus-like trees along downtown sidewalks. (You see a lot of Bradford Pear, which grows to perhaps 25 feet and offers dappled - not complete - shade.)

Quote:
Both GoogleSV

"Sometimes I would love to ban all but palms from L.A."
I don't know. As a New Yorker, I think the trees add a nice "small town" touch to a very urban setting. I'm much more troubled by the Prius taxi. I would never ride in a Prius taxi. I would want to get to my destination TODAY, thank you very much![/QUOTE]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:19 PM

Sopas, thanks for the info! There are two little holes on either side of the "800" on the sign, maybe there used to be some kind of city seal fastened on it?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:33 PM

Roman ruins in Beverly Hills

Beverly Hills Historic Preservation

A then and then: the Robertson Building on the southeast corner of Wilshire and Robertson. (I also love the two Cadillacs, a '56, and a '60 rushing by....)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:05 AM

I'm sorry, but where was this Fred Harvey you toured?? Also, isn't the Restaurant at Union Station a Harvey? It is empty now in front but I did sneak in in 1996 and see it before it was all closed off.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:16 AM

Duh!

OK, sorry, I just re-read your post and it was the Harvey AT Union Station. The one I gave myself a back stage tour in 96. But I never saw those red booths. Where are they located? Great shots of this place. I'm pretty sure they do use it for catered events but wouldn't it be great if it was restored in all its retro glory?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:58 AM

http://allanellenberger.com/tag/charlie-chaplin/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
[IMG]

"My husband and I live in the cottage with the pirate flag, which has been replaced with a more modest pirate windsock, since we earn a substantial part of our living in the courtyard as swordplay experts and fencing instructors. We moved in because Douglas Fairbanks fenced here, and because it was a marvelous place to live. We have confirmed that the complex was built by Chaplin in 1923 as a sort of dormitory for the actors working at United Artists Studios (now Jim Henson Studios) two blocks away on La Brea. To live here you have to be pretty nuts – the current residents are all zany performers, musicians, producers, and actors of one kind or another. Swashbuckling occurs regularly in the courtyard.

I wonder how this poster confirmed that Chaplin built the complex?

...but then there was this comment G_W.

I'm off now to google 'Zwebell'! I love Patio del Moro on Fountain Avenue.....I have a few memories there.

_____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 1:11 AM

..and yet this current real estate blog has the balls to state the following....

http://www.lasplash.com/publish/cat_...ilable_Now.php

_____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos