HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 15, 2005, 4:18 AM
Londoner

Smile London Construction - Development News Thread#1

Highrise gets OK

North London residents are bitterly disappointed with the OMB decision.

A controversial luxury highrise condominium in north London has been given the green light by the Ontario Municipal Board.

The board overturned a city council decision rejecting the $20-million proposal by the Tricar Group to build a 64-unit, 12-storey building on land previously zoned for low-rise development.

"I'm very pleased with the board's decision, but I'm not surprised," Joe Carapella, president of Tricar, said yesterday.

Carapella said he hopes to break ground on the project on Richmond Street North in early October.

But residents in the area are bitterly disappointed, mostly because the decision ignores a community plan -- approved in the late 1990s and later upheld by the OMB -- that targeted the land for low-rise, medium-density development.

"This really calls into question the integrity of the community planning process," said Gloria McGinn-McTeer, president of the Stoneybrook Heights/Uplands Residents Association. "It's just another case of a developer doing what they want under the guise of smart growth when it's simply profiteering at the expense of the neighbourhoods."

On Jan. 24, council voted 10-9 against a staff recommendation backing the proposal. Tricar appealed soon after.

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco was among those who opposed the development and shared McTeer's concern about the community planning process.

"That's why I supported the residents at the time," she said. "I thought that was a compelling argument, but obviously that wasn't enough for the OMB."

Now residents fear more highrise development ahead.

That's because city staff not only backed Tricar's proposal, but recommended adjacent land be zoned for highrise.

"The big concern now is that there will be a whole row of highrises there," said McGinn-McTeer, past president of the Urban League of London.

"And this just sets the stage for that and it will change the whole character of the neighbourhood," McGinn--McTeer said.

But Rob Panzer, the city's general manager of planning, said staff have no plan to rezone adjacent land.

"Council has already made a decision on that and, unless they tell us differently, I don't think we'd be bringing that forward," Panzer said.

Carapella said residents will be surprised by the quality of the development.

"This won't be a cheap project. It will be a project that suits the area and, hopefully, one the neighbourhood is proud of," Carapella said.

"And I think it will give residents in north London an option as they grow older that isn't there right now."

Carapella said he'll keep as many trees as possible. "You don't take down trees unless you have to because they will help sell the building."

That's key for Uplands resident Kelly Mancari, who lives across the street: "If he leaves those trees in front, that was one of my main concerns."

Controversy again erupted after Tricar filed its appeal and three planning committee members -- the chairperson, Coun. Cheryl Miller, Controller Bud Polhill and Coun. Roger Caranci -- voted not to have legal representation at the hearing. Council overturned that decision.

Caranci was pleased with the OMB decision.

"I thought from the beginning it was an extremely well-planned development in a perfect location, close to amenities and shopping," he said. "I think the OMB decision reinforces that."

Tricar lawyer Allan Patton said council's opposition was "politically motivated" and said the OMB decision reflected the lack of high-density zoning in the area.

"That deficit only exists in north London and the board found that to be a major flaw," Patton said. "And that flaw is directly related to political interference in the planning process by councillors for wards 1 and 2. Thank heavens for the OMB."

Ward 2 Coun. Joni Baechler, who led council opposition, could not be reached. But wardmate Coun. Rob Alder maintained there is ample high-density zoning north of Sunningdale Road.

"I believe council should be able to have influence over plans and make decisions based on what we feel is in the best interest of our community, so I don't think it was unreasonable to take the position we took," Alder said.

Copyright © The London Free Press

Last edited by ldoto; Sep 17, 2005 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2005, 12:23 PM
Londoner

Building boom remains strong

Building boom remains strong

Seven months into 2005, London's construction sector is showing no sign of tailing off.

To the end of July, the value of construction permits issued this year was $379.1 million, slightly less than last year's $381.9 million over the same period.

Last year was a record for construction in London as the city issued permits worth $647 million.

At the beginning of 2005, Rocky Cerminara, London's director of building controls, predicted the value of construction would fall to $480 million this year.

"I would have thought we'd start seeing the gap (in the value of construction permits) widening by now," Cerminara said with a chuckle.

"But I don't mind being wrong about this."

Sparking the continued boom is residential construction, including an unexpected $14-million apartment building in south London.

That alone brought the value of apartment building permits to about $50 million this year compared to none in the first seven months of 2004. Permits for multi-unit buildings for 2004 totalled $41.5 million.

Also fueling the continued boom is townhouse construction with permits valued at $43.4 million issued to date compared to $24 million for the same period last year.

Single-family residential construction is down to $124.2 million for 2005 compared to last year's total of $133.2 million.

Cerminara said residential construction was expected to exceed last year's because of a run on permit applications last fall as builders tried to beat a development fee hike.

Builders have six months to submit the applications with accompanying building fees.

Industrial-related building, including new projects, expansions and other activity total $30.7 million, well ahead of last year's $13 million.

Likewise, commercial-related projects, including new buildings and expansions, have climbed to $61.6 million from $31.2 million last year, also due to an expected hike in development fees.

But the sector Cerminara points to as supporting his original forecast is institutional construction. The building of schools, post-secondary facilities and hospital projects has cooled off significantly to $45.6 million from last year's $85.3 million

"It's not residential construction that causes you to see an extra $300-million jump in permit values, it's institutional, industrial and ommercial activity," Cerminara said.

"You just can't sustain that kind of construction activity with residential alone. It may go over the $480 million I projected, but not by much."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I wish more of London's highrises would be concentrated in the central core. There are mini-clusters of medium-rise condos/apartment buildings scattered all over the city, but proportionately, few in the centre core.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 6:14 PM
not cleavefied

but then coming from most american cities with similar sizes, london blows them away......

anywho, any updates on the old library condos?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 8:40 PM

Where's this 14 million dollar building in the south they are talking about? The only real construction I know of is the new hotel and the new location for the Power Station on Exeter Road just east of Wellington.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2005, 11:42 PM
Londoner

Gibson Tower

Some pics from downtown london of a 14 story Affordable Housing Program. It good to see Program like this in the city.

Last edited by ldoto; Sep 20, 2005 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2005, 1:23 AM
Londoner

City sewer bill at $1 billion

London homeowners are facing rate increases of about 10 per cent a year for five years.

London taxpayers face a $1 billion bill over the next 20 years to get the city's sewer system in shape, city staff say.

And that means sewer rate increases of about 10 per cent, or $38.35, a year for the average homeowner over the next five years.

The news arrived in a report from staff at last night's environment and transportation committee meeting.

"The sewer system has been underfunded for decades and it's in a big hole and we have to start trying to climb out of it," city engineer Peter Steblin said in an interview. "We're fighting a number of things -- an aging infrastructure that's not in great shape, changing environmental standards, and there are growth issues."

New provincial regulations under the Sustainable Water and Sewage Systems Act, come into force this fall.

The city spends about $35 million a year on sewers. Steblin said the rate increases will enable the city to spend an average of $50 million a year to get the sewer system in shape.

The city's needs include:

- $600 million to replace aging sewers;

- $250 million for flood relief, sewer separation, facilities to handle combined sewer and storm water overflows, treatment of storm runoff and upgrades to sewage plants;

- $70 million related to growth;

- The establishment of a rate stabilization fund to offset lower revenues and a capital reserve fund of $13 million to $18 million for unexpected system failures.

The staff report seeks council's approval for principles, including setting up a reserve fund, increasing the amount of old sewer replacement, debt limits, reserve funds and a pay-as-you-go fund.

Steblin said deteriorating sewer systems are a problem in older cities, either because the systems were ignored or the demands on tax dollars for other priorities were too high.

Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell, the budget chief, said he's aware of the problem and it needs more discussion.

"Obviously we want to maintain our infrastructure at a level people expect us to," he said.

"But if we have to spend that money then maybe there will have to be cuts to other programs or other spending will have to be postponed."

Gosnell said taxpayers can only bear so much fiscal pressure.

"We'll have to look at the total impact of it on the ability of corporations and citizens to carry that burden."

One option staff offered but isn't recommending is a one-time increase on sewer bills of $70 to $100 a year.

"I wouldn't support that option," Gosnell said.

Steblin said symptoms of the deteriorating sewer system are collapses of sewer lines, such as one at Waterloo Street last week, overflows in heavy rains and leaks that allow sewage to get into storm sewers and the Thames River -- a growing environmental concern due to tougher provincial regulations.

Staff will submit a another more detailed report in a few months that will identify major projects and costs.

:nuts:

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 1:12 AM
Londoner

New Dormitory Building

Here's some pics from the New student Dormitory Building at The University of Western Ontario right off Western Road. There also was a couple more buildings being built in the campus.

Last edited by ldoto; Sep 20, 2005 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 1:27 PM

Can anyone shed some light on the construction that might be gearing up on the 401? All summer I've seen stakes being set out from Highbury to the 402. Around Wellington Road, you can see how the stakes actually look like the ramps are being pushed further back and how the 401 would look like it is going to 3 lanes in each direction.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2005, 9:06 PM
Londoner

New Hooters Restaurant

New Hooters Restaurant Opening up in london on Wharncliffe road with a new strip mall.

Last edited by ldoto; Sep 20, 2005 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 1:10 AM

Lookin' good London!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 3:32 AM
not cleavefied

wharncliff blows

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 12:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wonderland Gardens destroyed by fire

'A lot of memories went up in smoke'

Auld lang syne
Firefighter recalls times past at historic dance hall
Plans still alive
KELLY PEDRO AND KATE DUBINSKI, Free Press Reporters 2005-08-30 01:49:03

Concert promoter Don Jones was heading to Centennial Hall yesterday when he saw thick smoke billowing into the sky.

He never thought it was from a fire ravaging the historic entertainment complex his father, Charles, and uncle, Wilf Jones, built 70 years ago.

"It makes me sick to my stomach," Jones said after hearing about the blaze at Wonderland Gardens.

"The city leaving it this long to do something, I've always worried about kids breaking in."

Jones worked at the family-owned Wonderland Gardens, helping bring in such big acts as rocker Alice Cooper.

His brother, Chuck, who took over the business when their uncle died in 1971, couldn't be reached for comment.

London's fire department, city police and the Ontario fire marshal's office are investigating the cause of the noon-hour blaze that ripped through the landmark dance hall.

As part of the complex was reduced to rubble and ashes, emotional reactions poured in from Londoners who felt a connection to the storied site.

"I'm absolutely devastated that could happen," said Douglas Flood, who works at the nearby Guy Lombardo Music Centre and celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary there.

"I don't know what to say. That's the worst news I've had."

A shocked Dolly Bouk broke down when told of the fate of the hall she's loved since the 1930s.

"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry. I'm very upset."

Her connection to the Gardens pre-dates its construction. Her husband, Jack, helped his father clear the land for the Gardens before it opened.

Jack continued working there part time, parking cars.

The couple danced many a night away at the Gardens and became close friends of Chuck Jones.

"We just saw him the other day. He still gets upset about it."

Bouk blames city hall for the closing and neglect of city-owned Wonderland Gardens.

"London used to have a historical tradition," she said.

"Now, it's getting to be run of the mill."

The Jones family operated the facility until 2003, when a dispute over the lease with the city prompted operator Chuck Jones to quit the business.

The site has been unused since January 2004.

The city was debating what to do with the land and buildings until yesterday's fire.

The city had asked an advisory committee to come up with reasons to designate the Gardens as a heritage site, but the city hadn't moved forward to formalize the designation.

"Even though there's no official designation, everyone in the historic and heritage community considers it a heritage site," said committee chairperson Joe O'Neil.

George Sinclair, executive director of the Urban League of London, said the blaze shortens the debate on how the city should use the site.

"The thing with heritage buildings is it's like the extinction of an animal -- you can't get it back," Sinclair said.

"What can you say? It will be upsetting to a lot of people. The efforts (to restore it) will suffer a potentially fatal blow."

O'Neil remains optimistic the Gardens still could be restored.

"There's a Chinese saying -- opportunity and disaster are sometimes the same word."

Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell said the fire will be a blow to many city residents.

"For me, personally, and for a lot of Londoners, a lot of memories just went up in smoke," he said.

Gosnell has lobbied colleagues to raise money for Wonderland Gardens by selling nearby parkland to developers planning a high-rise building.

While Gosnell didn't discuss those efforts last night, he said the fire -- awful as it was -- might end the stalemate over the site's future.

"Hopefully it will spur a commitment," he said.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 11:36 PM
Londoner

wellington place

Here's some new pics of wellington place condominium suites on wellington and Pall.

Last edited by ldoto; Sep 20, 2005 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2005, 2:53 AM
Londoner

London housing gets big boost

The $13-million is part of a larger pot for affordable housing across Ontario.

Federal Housing Minister Joe Fontana today will announce $13 million to help London families struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

It's part of a $402-million announcement by Fontana in Toronto to start getting affordable housing money flowing to 47 Ontario centres under a federal-provincial program.

Seven Southwestern Ontario municipalities, including London, will share more than $23 million for 265 new affordable housing units and for 390 rent supplements.

The money is available for new housing projects and soon will be in the form of $150-a-month supplements for housing units that are now vacant.

For London, 145 new units will be funded for $10.15 million and supplements for 210 units will amount to another $2.9 million.

Fontana, who's also the federal labour minister and the MP for London-North-Centre, and Ward 7 Coun. Susan Eagle, a housing activist, described the funding as positive but overdue.

"This is good news for London, especially the 400 or 500 families who have been waiting a long time," Fontana said yesterday.

"We're back in the business of housing," he said, noting $24 million has been set aside to fast-track the development of 500 affordable housing units immediately across Ontario.

He noted Ottawa has re-entered social housing after long negotiations with the province.

Ontario got out of the social housing business after the Mike Harris-led Conservatives swept to power a decade ago.

"This is pretty good for London," Eagle agreed, but said she has some concerns, such as fears the modest $150 rent supplement that won't rise in the next five years.

She's also concerned that to qualify, families will have to leave where they live to move into eligible units.

Eagle said the most positive aspect of Fontana's plan is that it will deal with real need and is not based on growth, as Toronto-area centres were demanding and which would have reduced London's share.

As for the supplements, she called them shallow. "But will it help 210 households?" she added. "Yes, it will."

Fontana said the $402 million is the first wave of the $602 million approved for the entire affordable program.

He said he's happy it mixes construction of affordable housing with rent supplements, which should help deal with high vacancy rates.

"Yes, some people will have to move," Fontana said of the subsidy plan, but the intention is to ensure families live in approved, good-quality housing that meets their needs.

He said too many Londoners run the risk of becoming homeless and others exist only by "couch surfing" for their next bed.

HOUSING FUNDING

- London: 145 new affordable housing units for $10.15 million and 210 rent supplements for $2.9 million.

- St Thomas: 25 units for $1.75 million, 30 rent supplements for $270,000.

- Stratford: 15 units for $1.05 million, 20 rent supplements for $220,000.

- Lambton County: 25 units for $1.75 million, 40 supplements for $460,000.

- Chatham-Kent: 15 units for $1.05 million, 40 supplements for $380,000.

- Oxford County: 25 units for $1.75 million, 30 supplements for $320,000.

- Huron County: 15 units for $1.05 million, 20 supplements for $190,000.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2005, 1:55 PM
Londoner

Two office buildings planned

Office space in suburban areas is in short supply.

A tight supply of suburban office space is spurring a new development in south London.

Plans are in the works to construct two office-commercial buildings totalling 60,000 square feet at a business park at Bradley Avenue and Dearness Drive, said Peter Whatmore, senior vice-president of CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

The building is being developed by the owners of the business park, GWL Realty Advisors, a subsidiary of Great-West Life Assurance Co.

A survey just released by CB Richard Ellis shows vacancy rates for suburban office space in London at about five per cent.

"It's a trend that's seen around the country. There's a lot of push into the suburban marketplace," Whatmore said.

Although the City of London planning policy encourages commercial development in the core, he said some companies favour suburban sites because of the nature of their business.

He said several office developments have changed hands recently, including several buildings in the Station Park office complex, a commercial building on North Centre Road and a building at Oxford Street West at Platts Lane.

Whatmore said investors who make upgrades on property are getting a good return on their investment.

In contrast to the suburbs, the vacancy rate in the downtown core is still stubbornly high at 15.7 per cent.

Whatmore said the high vacancy rate is misleading because there has been substantial leasing activity.

But he said the gradual conversion of Galleria London from retail to office space has added almost 500,000 square feet to the downtown office inventory.

"It makes it look like the core is not performing well, but we are having a record year in office leasing and most of it is in the core."

Whatmore said there has been a gradual shift into premium office space in the core, adding buildings such as One London Place are in demand and have low vacancy rates.

RECENT MAJOR LEASE DEALS

SIZE (in square feet) TENANT ADDRESS

30,000 AXA Insurance 250 York St.

26,000 TD Waterhouse 380 Wellington St.

22,000 Alliance icommunications 355 Wellington St.

21,000 McCarthy Tetrault LLP 255 Queens Ave.

20,000 CIBC 355 Wellington St.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2005, 2:53 PM
Londoner

London market in top 10

London market in top 10

SHARON HO, Free Press Reporter 2005-09-03 01:40:54

Covent Garden Market is one of the 10 best markets in Canada to shop at, according to VIA Rail.

The railway company annually compiles a list of the top markets in Canada for its Destinations magazine.

This year is the first time Covent Garden Market made the list.

"I felt quite proud," Bob Usher, Covent Garden Market's general manager, said.

"I feel it's a tribute to our vendors. We've got a great building and phenomenal and superior vendors."

Destinations described the historic market as "on a daily basis, quality farm-fresh products are available at this indoor downtown market--from organic produce and meats to chocolate truffles."

Covent Garden Market's been in London since 1845.

Some vendors have been there a long time, such as Havaris Produce, which has been in the market since 1912.

A new building for the market was erected in 1999.

"The vendors are all owner-operators," Usher said.

"It's all mom-and-pop operations. We don't have any chains. We're trying to bring a unique and interesting marketplace (to London)."

The article can be read online at Via's website, www.viarail.ca/destinations/en_index_dest.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2005, 4:53 AM
Londoner

Wal-Mart adding store in southwest

Wal-Mart is returning to southwest London.

The American retail giant is poised to open a store at Wonderland and Southdale roads and is finalizing plans with Southside Group Ltd. and its owner, Vito Frijia.

"We are optimistic we can work out a mutually acceptable deal," Frijia said. "We have to finalize the lease and order the steel, but we're now talking about opening in the summer of 2006."

Frijia is building a major one-million-square-foot commercial development at Wonderland and Southdale -- the former Wally World site -- and was in talks earlier this year with Wal-Mart.

Talks broke down, however, over the issue of who was going to build the store. Frijia confirmed he will build and own the site and lease it back to Wal-Mart. The retail giant has also altered its usual building code plans.

"Our objective is to retain our lands and find long-term leases," he said. "One of the issues we have always had is getting Wal-Mart to upgrade building designs and they have agreed."

Wal-Mart spokesperson Kevin Groh confirmed the retailer is "optimistic" a deal can be worked out. "It makes sense for us; it is filling a gap."

Wal-Mart will join Home Depot on the site, along with East Side Mario's and The Beer Store relocating from Westmount Shopping Centre.

Frijia owns much of the commercial developments on Wonderland north and south of Southdale.

A Shopper's Drug Mart is also moving from Westmount to a former grocery store on Wonderland, just north of Southdale. And Mark's Work Wearhouse is considering locating next to the Boston Pizza at the intersection, while Canadian Tire and Loblaws are already discussing expansion plans, said Frijia.

Bruce Henry, manager of site plan approval for the city, said Italian grocery and food store Angelo's is also looking at the area -- beside the Athletic Club -- and a self-storage business is locating at the former Canadian Tire store just north of Southdale.

First Pro Shopping Centre, the developer for Wal-Mart stores, has also bought land at Exeter and Wonderland roads.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2005, 7:13 AM
not cleavefied

and the suburbinization of london continues......

a freakin awesome core with great potential, but the burbs man, oh man the burbs.........

(yes i know wallmart isn't instigating the sprawl, just a confirmation of)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2005, 4:40 PM
Londoner

Spend to grow, groups tell city

London taxpayers could pay an extra $1 million a year to attract high-tech business if council adopts a plan comparing the city to economic powerhouses in the U.S.

The plan, to be presented tomorrow to the city's board of control, is backed by groups being funded to lure business and stimulate home-grown enterprise -- the London Economic Development Corp. (LEDC), TechAlliance of Southwestern Ontario and the Stiller Centre for Biotech-nology Commercialization.

The plan, which would phase in spending increases over five years, was praised by London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco, who said yesterday, "It's insightful, it's bold and it's very strategic."

It's too soon to know what level of funding is needed, but it's clear the city must spend more to attract investment as it did when it bought and serviced industrial land, she said.

"I think the plan should be supported," she said.

The plan's author is Paul Paolatto, president of Tech Alliance and a director of that group and LEDC.

Paolatto says economic development in recent years has brought lots of jobs, but most have been low-paying, service-sector posts.

"There hasn't been a lot of new manufacturing or high-tech jobs. That's a concern," he said yesterday.

The plan itself is blunt:

"London still lags behind other communities of comparable size . . . Outsiders continue to perceive London as a comparatively lethargic business community."

LEDC president John Kime couldn't be reached yesterday.

The comparisons made in the plan are ambitious, Paolatto said. In addition to Ottawa and Kitchener, London was compared to five of the fastest-growing, mid-sized cities in the U.S.: Boston, Mass.; Austin, Tex.; San Diego, Calif.; Minneapolis, Minn.; and the research triangle around Raleigh, N.C.

The plan is also optimistic in its five-year targets:

- Add 10,000 new jobs, quadruple the number of fastest-growing companies and increase the percentage of high-end jobs in the workforce from 28 per cent to 35 per cent.

- Increase by one-third the number of post- secondary graduates who stay here.

Though preliminary, the plan outlines key components, including:

- More tax dollars for LEDC, TechAlliance and the Stiller Centre -- an increase of 74 per cent by 2010 compared to 2004, reaching a peak of more than $2.4 million. The money would enable those groups to increase their staff by 39 per cent, from 16.5 to 23.

- The city would guarantee one-third of business loans to qualifying companies up to a total of $15 million over five years. The loans would be of the higher-risk, higher-benefit variety, said Paolatto, and the city could make or lose money.

- The city would do more to grow businesses based here to counter the exodus of head offices in recent decades.

- LEDC, TechAlliance and the Stiller Centre would operate in a more co-ordinated manner to improve the efficiency of their efforts.

The plan got a cool reception last month from London's chamber of commerce.

The chamber submitted comments to council that were skeptical not only of the plans, but of the track record of the groups whose funding would increase as result of it:

- "Stiller Centre needs to be weaned off the city subsidy."

- "LEDC . . . needs to account for their yearly existence -- Londoners need real facts and real financial reports to support the increasing staff complement and associated expenses."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates