HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 2:23 AM

Lightbulb La Placita Village (Tucson)

Hey everyone, so i spent a day taking some pictures of downtown tucson which is really cool. i live here but you never really look untill your taking pictures

These photos are specifically of La Placita Village.

Description:
La Placita Village, a collection of 10 adobe, brick, and wood frame buildings is an office and restaurant complex built to resemble a Mexican marketplace. Location of Tucson Visitors Center with maps, brochures and merchandise for sale.

Enjoy!.

The End.

i really like the vibrant colors. can you beleive that they want to paint it to more nuetral colors of brown and beige. i hope that they dont. what i want to do is since i work downtown. i want to explore all the neighborhoods. i hope you liked it.

more comming soon.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 4:06 AM
Todo para la familia

THey would be stupid to paint those buildings neutral colors. I love La Placita with it's vibrant colors. If they plan on building this new Hotel in Downtown....they need to spruce up La Placita and get some serious tenants. I'm sick of the indian trading post and gold's gym as the anchors of this nice area. This needs to be looked at as they determine to spruce the TCC area and thenew hotel. Also, La Placita will soon have to contend with the Mercado district down the street. Drove around that spot today and that Mercado is no joke. Great pics though!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 5:44 AM

Great pictures!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 4:28 PM

Absolutely beautiful shots! I'd be very disappointed if they re-paint it to typical colors we see here in the SW. This area has so much potential. I run through this area often at night and it's dead; except if performances are going on at the Music Hall.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 5:18 PM
under the influence...

Too bad they had to tear down a 250+ year-old barrio to put this up (along with the convention center).

Boy, if you only knew...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 8:34 PM

Back in the early 70's, there were high hopes for La Placita, the Music Hall, the Rich Theatre, convention center, and other new buildings that were part of the last round of downtown "redevelopment" (even though they wiped out a perfectly good neighborhood to do it). La Placita had possibilities, but never saw the synergy from any additional development and growth in the surrounding area that was anticipated. Then--as now--Tucson lacked the vision and leadership to provide the necessary infrastructure and incentives to attract more development, businesses and residents to the city center. Subsequently, these initial projects never lived up to their potential, and in their current state, remain as mostly underused and rather outdated.

A few years back, the owner of La Placita, Bourn Partners, had promised a renovation and update of the complex, including 65 residential units in the upper floors and a toned-down color scheme, although that has undoubtedly been put on hold like most everything else. (Personally, I also like the Caribbean-bright colors--a welcome respite from the ubiquitous Southwestern browns and beiges.) Granted, it doesn't have quite the charm of something like Sedona's Tlaquepaque, but perhaps the new streetcar line, along with a renovated convention center and new hotel can inject some much-needed foot traffic and life into this "little plaza."

Last edited by kaneui; Mar 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest