HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
The Turnberry project at Demonbreun & 8th Avenue South has released official renderings for the office tower and JW Marriott towers.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...rriott_project

Detail
This project is going to have a really nice impact on the skyline visually. It will really create a nice expansion of the skyline across Broadway. The sight lines from I-65 heading north from south of downtown should be nice. Unfortunately, I think the placement of the towers will obstruct the views of the hotel from the east and west. It would have been nice if the office tower could have been shifted to the southwest corner of the site to provide more visibility of each building from the eastern and western views. But, overall I think it'll be a significant addition to the skyline.

I know the glowing of light at the top of each building is probably for visual effects with the renderings, but it would be cool if they can incorporate a ring of lights to give it that glow.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:17 PM

Yes, the Turnberry Marriot will have a very big impact on the skyline. However, it and the 25 story Westin project immediately adjacent is going to create a tall wall that will shadow Cummings Station and Gulch Crossing quite a bit until mid-mornings, especially in the winter months when dawn is rather late.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:39 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Yes, the Turnberry Marriot will have a very big impact on the skyline. However, it and the 25 story Westin project immediately adjacent is going to create a tall wall that will shadow Cummings Station and Gulch Crossing quite a bit until mid-mornings, especially in the winter months when dawn is rather late.
It happens in urban areas.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:24 AM

First world problems.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:07 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
First world problems.
Damn capitalism.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 11:28 PM
Nashville born and raised

Been away for a little while, so I will update on a couple of projects.

First was a proposal for a Holiday Inn in the Downtown/SoBro district south of the Convention Center; in this approximate area.

It is not directly on Korean Veterans Boulevard, so height restrictions are in play. The planning commission deferred action on this. So it is uncertain as to the final scale.

An elevation;

and a massing diagram;

It would add some significant density to this area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 11:36 PM

The other significant announcement involves the impending construction of a 14 story office building in the One City development about a mile west of downtown on Charlotte Avenue.

The building;

...and the updated plan...

An overview...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

It is not directly on Korean Veterans Boulevard, so height restrictions are in play. The planning commission deferred action on this. So it is uncertain as to the final scale.

Are there height restrictions imposed on buildings not built directly along KVB? If so, do you know what the rationale is for that given that most of the area in SoBro is commercial and formerly light industrial in part. There are very few older buildings of any significance in terms of value and history.

Speaking of restrictions, are there height restrictions for the area bounded by James Robertson Pkwy, Rosa Parks Blvd (8th Ave), Jefferson Street and the Cumberland River (I don't know if technically that's considered part of Germantown)? I was just wondering because no developer has proposed anything that I'm aware of that is above 4-5 stories. It just seems to me to get the best use out of the land that is there it would be wise to go upwards of 15 stories for apartment/condo buildings to allow for more green/open space around buildings and keep the streetscape open. The streets in that area are pretty tight, so it would be nice if buildings had more setback requirements to create open spaces and all garages should be underground. I don't think anything above 5-8 stories should be built north of Jefferson in the Germantown area.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:38 PM

I wish I could find it right now, but the Metro Planning Division has several, voluminous documents listing height restrictions in various areas of town. (My desktop is in the shop and infested with viruses and I can't get to my files; thank you Norton).

But I recall a few notable provisions of the document, including the fact that buildings on KVB have almost unlimited restriction, provided they are LEED certified, etc. But if you go 1/2 block south, the restrictions kick in.

I think these were put in a decade or more ago when nobody could have foreseen the incredible growth and demand for building mass that exists now. Oddly enough, they are allowing massive exceptions to the codes on Music Row (up to 25 stories in an area zoned for 7 stories), an area much more historic and worth preserving than SoBro, which was basically an industrial slum.

If the only option for height is to build downtown, Nashville may never get condos over 25 floors anywhere else. I don't see downtown as a very desirable location for high rise living in spite of the two proposals that are there now (505 and the Emery project).

Metro needs to put on its 'get with reality pants' and loosen up some of these restrictions.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:53 PM

One other project of considerable note, while not massive, is the plan for construction of a 'Utopia' Hotel downtown on 4th Avenue. It will wonderfully preserve two historical 19th century structures.

Currently

Proposed

I really like this proposal!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 4:36 PM

And an update of one of those aforementioned buildings in the Music Row area...

The 19 story " The Element at Music Row' About five more floors to go.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
One other project of considerable note, while not massive, is the plan for construction of a 'Utopia' Hotel downtown on 4th Avenue. It will wonderfully preserve two historical 19th century structures.

Currently

Proposed

I really like this proposal!
I like this proposal as well. I know we spend a great majority of discussions about new buildings, but I like that this developer will preserve older structures while repurposing them into a hotel property. While I'm a firm believer that new structures can have just as much character as older buildings, we unfortunately are being bombarded with one too many new buildings that have no architectural character at all. Since we live in an era in which major businesses dominate certain industries (i.e. the hotel industry as an example), you see a lot of cookie cutter projects simply because businesses want to maintain a look that is recognizable and they can control their cost to build by repeating that look over and over again. As such there is little originality from one city to another. From coast to coast we pretty much seeing the same style of architecture saturating our cities. Hotels and residential buildings in particular are being duplicated as if they are fast food chain restaurant buildings. Not all of these duplicated buildings are bland in style, but since we see them over and over again, sometimes even in the same city, they do become bland and uninspiring.

Kudos to this developer for maintaining the existing structures, offering a new element to them that appears to compliment them and hopefully will inspire others along 4th Ave to clean up their look and restore the historical character of the street.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I like this proposal as well. I know we spend a great majority of discussions about new buildings, but I like that this developer will preserve older structures while repurposing them into a hotel property. While I'm a firm believer that new structures can have just as much character as older buildings, we unfortunately are being bombarded with one too many new buildings that have no architectural character at all. Since we live in an era in which major businesses dominate certain industries (i.e. the hotel industry as an example), you see a lot of cookie cutter projects simply because businesses want to maintain a look that is recognizable and they can control their cost to build by repeating that look over and over again. As such there is little originality from one city to another. From coast to coast we pretty much seeing the same style of architecture saturating our cities. Hotels and residential buildings in particular are being duplicated as if they are fast food chain restaurant buildings. Not all of these duplicated buildings are bland in style, but since we see them over and over again, sometimes even in the same city, they do become bland and uninspiring.

Kudos to this developer for maintaining the existing structures, offering a new element to them that appears to compliment them and hopefully will inspire others along 4th Ave to clean up their look and restore the historical character of the street.

The old Noel Hotel,adjacent to and south of the proposed Utopia, is also in the process of being upgraded to a Tribute Portfolio, A new Starwoods Hotels & Resorts brand.

The Noel Place Hotel (on the left)...,

On an historical side note, The Noel is where Jimmy Hoffa stayed while on trial for racketeering in Federal Court. He got off, only because he tampered with the jury for which he later was sent to prison.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Apr 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:04 PM

Old Convention Center Site Project Clears Committe Vote

The new proposal proposal for the old convention center site cleared another hurdle and is now on its way to second and third votes in the council.

See artcle in the Tennessean...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...otes/26103777/

I really hope this project continues to move forward and becomes a reality. It's the type of project that downtown Nashville could really use from a retail perspective and cultural perspective. I think the addition of a museum which highlights the contributions of African American music will be a great cultural venue for the city. I know some people are wondering why such a museum would be in Nashville with its country music focus and not somewhere like Detroit or even Memphis. But African Americans have played a significant role in Nahville's music history, especially in Gospel recordings, and of course we know the impact of African Americans in American music period. So, I hope the funding for the museum comes through. But it appears there is a back-up plan in the event that it does not.

I hope the retail aspect of the development will bring in stores currrently not located in Nashville. This is an opportunity to have a specialty shopping district in downtown that should be unique to the city as a whole. Please don't waste the space on a Star Bucks, H&M or some other overly saturated store. Think Hugo Boss, BoConcepts, Burberry, Fendi, Cartier, Barney's, TopMan... and PLEASE don't even remotely think honkytonk and cheap gift/souvenir shops. Leave that where it is now in downtown. Don't expand upon it.

There's no mentioning of any type of dinning venue. It would be nice to incorporate dining into the office building and residential building at street level. Or even roof top for the office building. But again it needs to be dining with a differnt vibe to it than what is currently found on Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:18 PM
Future God

Yet another new rendering. This time, a 19 story, 455 room combination AC Hotel/Residence Inn/Springhill Suites:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ory-sobro.html

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Yet another new rendering. This time, a 19 story, 455 room combination AC Hotel/Residence Inn/Springhill Suites:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ory-sobro.html

Marriott has started doing this in other cities... combining two or more of their brands under one roof. I stayed in a 50+ story Courtyard/Residence Inn in NYC last year. It was a nice concept and the room I was in had a spectacular view of Central Park to the north and the Hudson river to the west. While the room was compact by Residence Inn standards, it was equipped very well and nicely decorated.

The design of this hotel isn't great but it's far better than throwing a standard looking Springhill Suites in Sobro.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:15 PM

Wedgewood Lofts - Update

Looks like developers will start construction on Wedgewood Lofts this fall according to the Tennessean. Is this the first development east of I-65 near the Fairgrounds? Has metro finalized development plans for the old Fairgrounds?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ofts/26201723/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:31 PM

Hardee's considering moving their headquarters to Nashville from St. Louis when their current lease expires in 2017. They are currently leasing about 50,000 sq ft in downtown St. Louis. Let's cross our fingers that they land in one of the current office tower proposals downtown.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ters/26219127/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Hardee's considering moving their headquarters to Nashville from St. Louis when their current lease expires in 2017. They are currently leasing about 50,000 sq ft in downtown St. Louis. Let's cross our fingers that they land in one of the current office tower proposals downtown.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ters/26219127/
I was thinking the same thing because I'd hate to see them decide on some 1 or 2 story office park location. Downtown or even midtown would be better in my opinion for a corporate office. Maybe office tower part of the Westin Hotel project could work for them. Hey... maybe they can talk with Palmer about the WES and give him the boost he needs to build... doesn't hurt to dream...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:33 PM

Another update which will probably be outdated in a month. So stay tuned.

Downtown

SOBRO

JW MArriot

The Gulch

MIDTOWN/WEST END/MUSIC ROW

Larger Developments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations