HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Ian Schrager's Public Hotel and new Pump Room (all photos from their Facebook page)

I was going to go to dinner there Sat night but opted for (K)new in Logan Sqaure instead....didn't feel like schlepping all the way down to the gold coast. Want to check it out though....10023 said it was quite good if I recall

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:03 PM

3642 Broadway

I am concerned however with what is going on at 3642, the annex building just to the North. Recently the upper windows were removed and haven't been replaced in a few days.[/QUOTE]

I had heard from the Alderman's office that the annex space was going to be leased to a small theater company. Construction should be wrapped up on Walmart by 10/31, target opening date is 11/16.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:12 PM
BANNED

I actually drove by the new Walmart at Presidential Towers this weekend and it looks pretty damn good all things considered. As far as street presence goes it is a lot more urban and inviting than any CVS or Walgreens I've ever seen and better than almost every Box store I've seen. Street level windows for about half a block without any displays or posters blocking them.

Hopefully they'll be doing the same thing to the disgusting building they are moving into in Lakeview.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I actually drove by the new Walmart at Presidential Towers this weekend and it looks pretty damn good all things considered. As far as street presence goes it is a lot more urban and inviting than any CVS or Walgreens I've ever seen and better than almost every Box store I've seen. Street level windows for about half a block without any displays or posters blocking them.

Hopefully they'll be doing the same thing to the disgusting building they are moving into in Lakeview.
Are you talking Broadway and Patterson or the proposed location at Broadway and Surf I remember hearing about?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:00 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
While that is true, it doesn't eliminate the liability concerns of having the public crossing through a plaza where ice could be falling or any other number of potential concerns.
Yeah, but they don't block people from walking over their property, they've just made the trip longer. If you were coming north on Columbus, it would still be incrementally shorter to cut through that plaza, even having to go to Randolph before cutting back, so if liability were the concern then their present state actually increases their exposure as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:09 PM
tilted & shifted

Bertrand Goldberg: Architecture of Invention
When:
Where: Art Institute of Chicago
Through 1/15:
Price: $18

Bertrand Goldberg: Architecture of Innovation—the first-ever retrospective of Goldberg's work, opening today—features 100 of his drawings, models, and photographs, as well as little-known examples of his graphic and furniture design.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=4585469

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:10 PM
dream fast

Walmart at Presidential Towers

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 8:39 PM
BANNED

^^^ That's what I'm talking about! It's really quite urban which is surprising as it is a Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah, but they don't block people from walking over their property, they've just made the trip longer. If you were coming north on Columbus, it would still be incrementally shorter to cut through that plaza, even having to go to Randolph before cutting back, so if liability were the concern then their present state actually increases their exposure as far as I can tell.
I don't think a lot of people are going to realize they can go around back of the BCBS building. The vast majority of people are going to take the sidewalk.

I have a friend who works in the facilities department at BCBS (she is in charge of move in and furniture procurement for the new spaces in this building). I'll ask her and see if she doesn't know why they didn't do that.

To be honest the real reason probably is that neither party wanted to foot the bill for re landscaping it so that it would be passable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Are you talking Broadway and Patterson or the proposed location at Broadway and Surf I remember hearing about?
The one at Surf. That building is a real turd if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Agreed. The trio of Northside big box malls are awful. Broadway and Surf, Clark and Halsted, Century Centre on Clark... shudders

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Lycee Francais de Chicago - Krueck & Sexton
K-12 classes
(Also posted on curbed Chicago)

Bonjour Les Enfants
Krueck + Sexton's French Academy moves forward in Chicago.
by Alan G. Brake

All images are from K+S

Krueck + Sexton are known for refined cultural, civic, and residential projects, but they’ve never designed a school before. So when they competed for the chance to design a new building for the Lycée Francais de Chicago, the Windy City’s branch of the famous international school, they teamed with another small firm with educational experience under their belt—STL Architects. The pair of firms had the right combination of experience and open-mindedness for the $33 million commission...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5696

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 PM

As I will be edged between two Walmarts now lol, actually I'm fine with it, any news on when the Walmart on Broadway and Surf opening?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:42 PM
tilted & shifted

I recently joined Curbed Chicago as a photographer and occasional blogger. Here is my first post, if anyone is interested.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...g-and-more.php

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
BANNED

^^^ Awesome! I hope you continue to post exclusive shots to SSP as well!

LFC looks baller! Can't wait for it to start construction.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I don't think a lot of people are going to realize they can go around back of the BCBS building. The vast majority of people are going to take the sidewalk.
Maybe. But I don't even live in that area and I knew it would be shorter to cut through the plaza. Anyone who actually lives or works in the Illinois Center or who wants to walk from Streeterville doubtless would also know that. That said, I suppose there aren't really all that many people who are likely to walk from that direction, except maybe some office workers. Most would probably be coming east on Randolph or from the LSE developments to begin with.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
^^^ That's what I'm talking about! It's really quite urban which is surprising as it is a Wal-Mart.

I have a friend who works in the facilities department at BCBS (she is in charge of move in and furniture procurement for the new spaces in this building). I'll ask her and see if she doesn't know why they didn't do that.

To be honest the real reason probably is that neither party wanted to foot the bill for re landscaping it so that it would be passable.

Yeah it's awful. I'd rather see it demolished and replaced with a better building to be honest.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 1:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Lycee Francais

I think it looks great - and nice to see Krueck and Sexton with a large new project in the city......I wish we had the diversity in high quality architects working on residential towers downtown that we generally do on institutional/education/cultural projects....

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 1:11 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

The W Loop Wal-Mart does look nice but to be fair I don't think much of that has anything really to do with Wal-Mart, as the redevelopment of PT's retail space was really already designed and mostly done I think before Wal-Mart came into the picture, and a large part of the intention with the redevelopment was to make the space more inviting and open to the outside world, or at least pedestrians walking by....

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 1:15 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Maybe. But I don't even live in that area and I knew it would be shorter to cut through the plaza. Anyone who actually lives or works in the Illinois Center or who wants to walk from Streeterville doubtless would also know that. That said, I suppose there aren't really all that many people who are likely to walk from that direction, except maybe some office workers. Most would probably be coming east on Randolph or from the LSE developments to begin with.

Don't underestimate the population of office workers in Illinois Center, Prudential Towers, Aon Center, BCBS, and nearby other buildings making that trek from the west to the Village Market...........in my office, I've heard numerous folks, many who were frankly not clued in to the development at all while under construction, already rave about Mariano's and how great an amenity to the general area it is, just a couple weeks after opening....

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Public looks outstanding; I love that it's simple but still appears very refined.

EarlyBuyer, will you be able to take interior photos of the public spaces for the Aqua Radisson Blu before it opens? I remember reading that the soft(?) open was planned for Nov. 1st?

SamintheLoop or any other members, any word of progress/plans/renderings regarding the old Waterview/Shangr-la site/shell?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
not cleavefied

In an entirely small tiny piece of news, the property two parcels south of the Filter Coffee house (1373 N Milwaukee) is being renovated. Absolutely no visible progress on the outside, but if you walk the alley, they are putting in what appears to be a new floor. Also, no idea of future plans aside from getting the building "ready". I know this is small, but its nice to see some of the gaps along Milwaukee be filled in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development