HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:12 AM

A new 100-room hotel may be coming to Monroeville, in place of D'Imperios:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...estaurant.html

This is adjacent to the Penn Center East complex:

https://goo.gl/maps/zHmDx

Monroeville continues to have a lot of development activity, and hopefully they have no problem getting things like height and parking variances.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:35 AM

Hopefully this is a non-issue: apparently there is some thought on the zoning board that the Benoff condo project across from Otto Milk should be required to have a sideyard setback of some sort, which seems like a terrible idea, but the neighbors may be able to help waive the requirement:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

On the plus side, he wants to go up to 65', the same height as Otto Milk, which would be cool.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 6:22 PM

The Penguins want a 1-year push out of their required development schedule for the Lower Hill:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201408020054

This is a difficult issue. I don't want the Penguins to just go ahead with their old development plans, because they are outdated and could be a lot better. But extensions like this take the pressure off them to do anything at all. It would be better if they didn't have the rights in the first place, but under the present circumstances if the extension was tied to a new and improved plan, then I could live with that.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 7:34 PM

BrianTH,

I did a tour of the Finance street homes in Homewood last week. I have to admit that the homes beat all of my expectations. The open floor plan and window seats are ideal for entertaining or larger families. The back yards are larger than I thought and the lot size is typical for the neighborhood. This TOD project blends well with the Susquehanna St homes built a few years back. It also adds a sense of community to the existing townhouses built adjacent to the busway. I hope the momentum continues.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 7:37 PM

I see no issue with pushing it back a year as long as there is some sort of compounding penalty for their inaction. Perhaps a percentage of parking revenues has to be turned over to the city and the percent increases each month there is inaction. This way there is still a large incentive to build soon, but gives some wiggle room for the penguins to iron out issues with the Hill.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I did a tour of the Finance street homes in Homewood last week. I have to admit that the homes beat all of my expectations. The open floor plan and window seats are ideal for entertaining or larger families. The back yards are larger than I thought and the lot size is typical for the neighborhood. This TOD project blends well with the Susquehanna St homes built a few years back. It also adds a sense of community to the existing townhouses built adjacent to the busway. I hope the momentum continues.
Although on policy grounds I would probably still prefer apartments, I have to admit they look quite nice from the Busway, and I am very glad to hear they make a good impression up close. All things considered, then, I am more than willing to support this project on the hope that it will in fact contribute significantly to momentum in that area.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Although on policy grounds I would probably still prefer apartments, I have to admit they look quite nice from the Busway, and I am very glad to hear they make a good impression up close. All things considered, then, I am more than willing to support this project on the hope that it will in fact contribute significantly to momentum in that area.
I agree. I would have preferred a mixture of townhouses and apartments. New market rate apartments are a tough sell in a distressed community. Potential tenants would overlook that location and rent in East Liberty or Shadyside. Moderately priced homes for middle class families typically sell fast when managed by the URA. Potential home owners who grew up in or near the neighborhood will most likely prefer a traditional house. If that section of Homewood stabilizes, apartments and townhouses can be added on thee existing vacant lots.

I noticed all the new trees added along the busway during my commute. At street level the new trees will serve as a sound barrier for Finance Street.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:35 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Could someone post pics of said street in Homewood?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
The homes are actually listed now. Here are a couple:

http://www.trulia.com/property/31617...burgh-PA-15208

http://www.trulia.com/property/31626...burgh-PA-15208

This is the block:

https://goo.gl/maps/ySJO6

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 12:48 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
I don't care for these at all.

I do like the new multifamily structure in Homewood along the busway.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I have pics. How do I post the pic though.?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

I did not care for them initially. After touring each home the houses grew on me. Never thought I would consider a non brick home. The outdoor space is just right for my lifestyle as well. The busway access is the icing on the cake.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
They look somewhat better as a set--I didn't see a picture like that.

Still, I'm not going to claim these are great or innovative. But they do look reasonably new and nice if rather conventional, and for Homewood I think that is a net positive.

Quote:
I think they did a great job with it--I like it better than many of the market rate apartment buildings that have gone up recently. I think they are planning a second phase the next block farther from the Busway, which would be fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I have pics. How do I post the pic though.?
I upload my pictures to a free hosting site then hotlink them (you can use the little button that looks like a sun over the mountains, although a lot of hosting sites have an option for copying a pre-coded hotlink). I use Minus, but there are a gazillion free hosting sites.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
I upload my pictures to a free hosting site then hotlink them (you can use the little button that looks like a sun over the mountains, although a lot of hosting sites have an option for copying a pre-coded hotlink). I use Minus, but there are a gazillion free hosting sites.
Thanks. I have photobucket.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/wpip...bile%20Uploads

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Do you want to hotlink them (so they show up automatically)? I'm not sure how your deal works with photobucket (if they don't allow unlimited downloading you could eat up your download allowance pretty fast by hotlinking photos here).

Anyway, that option is under "Links to share your photo," the IMG code (just click and then paste here).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Do you want to hotlink them (so they show up automatically)? I'm not sure how your deal works with photobucket (if they don't allow unlimited downloading you could eat up your download allowance pretty fast by hotlinking photos here).

Anyway, that option is under "Links to share your photo," the IMG code (just click and then paste here).
o.k. I would like to post the actual pictures. I have interior pics as well. ill upload them to pb and try again...

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
o.k. I would like to post the actual pictures. I have interior pics as well. ill upload them to pb and try again...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
This was the best house. From the busway I assumed the addition was a attached garage. To my surprise it is a first floor master bedroom suite with a full bath and two humongous walk in closets. This house is handicapped accessible so it lacks a basement. The house more than makes up for it with extra storage throughout. I especially liked the office area on the second floor landing. Two of the closets on the first and second floor can be easily removed and replaced with a elevator. You can grow old in this house for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations