HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 3:48 PM

Pearl Block 24 (NW 12th & Quimby) | 250' | 22 floors | Proposed

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...A/4797384_did/

I believe this is the last - or close to it - major Hoyt Properties parcel in the Pearl. I remember it was identified in the original N. Pearl plan done by Bora years ago.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 4:15 PM

Good find. I moved this to a new thread.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 4:18 PM

Wow. 400 apartments that is something. That’s a lot of units.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:45 PM

These drawings of Block 245 were included in the drawings for Holden of Pearl during the review process. Let me know if you can't see anything, and I'll try uploading again.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:49 PM

Hard to imagine a residential tower of ~20 stories equaling 400+ feet, but encouraged by the proposal nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:09 PM
A before E

This is great news, I have always been hopeful that we would see more taller towers at the north end of the Pearl.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Hard to imagine a residential tower of ~20 stories equaling 400+ feet, but encouraged by the proposal nonetheless.
I was wondering this too, but - I'm no architect - the image is captioned "zoning envelope", which sounds to me like it just captures the maximum that could be built there, not necessarily what is proposed. Maccoinnich, does that sound right?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:42 PM

Correct

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Correct
I hope this does not get approved. How can they have 400 units and not to elicit traffic problems. I find it actually not a good idea.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:33 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksant@gmail.com View Post
I hope this does not get approved. How can they have 400 units and not to elicit traffic problems. I find it actually not a good idea.
I'm not involved in the research for this building, so I don't know what they have or haven't done, but the size of this building is in line with what has been planned for North Pearl. It would also be roughly 1.5x the size of the NV Apartment tower, so you can get a ballpark idea of what's the kind of traffic the building would produce.

With working from home and being in an urban setting, making it easier for people to walk to work or take transit, I would imagine that the impact on vehicle traffic would be fairly low since the buildings in the Pearl don't cause massive gridlock every day.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:05 AM

Quote:
I think Urbanlife makes a great point. 400 units sounds like it would cause a lot of traffic, but The Collective on 4th has a similar amount of units and I used to live right next to it and was always surprised how little traffic the building produced. (I could see when cars came in and out of the parking garage)

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the thread reflect a 24 story building? The description on Portland Maps states: "new 20-story residential tower over a 4-story base of residential, commercial, parking and amenity and lobby space with underground parking" - 20 stories on top of a 4 story podium - 24 stories?

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:19 PM

Fair point - I changed the thread name, but it should be clearer once the preapp notice comes out

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:31 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
I have to chuckle. Since when would a proposed tall building in an urban setting be stopped because of a perception that there would be too much traffic produced? Did that argument come up as mid-town Manhattan residential point towers were proposed? What about those cluster of towers in Chicago's Loop?

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I have to chuckle. Since when would a proposed tall building in an urban setting be stopped because of a perception that there would be too much traffic produced? Did that argument come up as mid-town Manhattan residential point towers were proposed? What about those cluster of towers in Chicago's Loop?
Lol tell me about it

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:21 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Adding to what DMH and others said above: I live downtown, near the Safeway on Jefferson. I've been surprised by how little additional traffic was created by the towers that have gone up over here during the past 20 years. I was hoping for a lot more foot traffic than we've seen. And the car traffic along Jefferson in 2022 doesn't seem any worse than what I remember in 2002.

So, yeah, 400 units may sound like a lot, but really it's not. And this is the perfect neighborhood for it.

I hope this gets approved and I hope they build something handsome.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:59 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 5:52 PM

From the massing picture on the pre app, it looks to be similar size & height to The Vista. The shape of the tower is interesting at least. With nice glass, it should stand out there. But it definitely isn't going to reach that 410 ft height allowed. I remember the original renderings ( developer buildout for Pearl District) for that site, and it looked to be an elliptical shaped tower that would reach the max height. Kind of a bummer, but with nice design, and glass, decent.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:09 PM

Noticed this for that last lot on NW Quimby by the Fields Park

Early Assistance
DA - Design Advice Request

A mixed-use development with approximately 430 for-rent residential units of varying sizes and approximately 300 parking stalls below and above-grade. The project is planned as a combination of a Type IA high-rise building (20 stories) and a low-rise Type IIIA wood building (4 stories) over a shared 3-story concrete podium. The ground floor fill have active ground floor spaces, including commercial, a residential lobby and amenity spaces for residents, as well as at-grade and walk-up residential units. Stormwater disposal will be achieved via a combination of eco-roofs and flow-through planter facilities. The project is targeting a Gold LEED or Earth Advantage certification (still TBD on which program)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 7:38 PM

Maybe the last significant empty lot to get developed in Pearl? At least until Broadway Corridor gets its act together. Plus nearby slabtown is nearly fully built up too (including active proposals). It's a pretty neat drive from NW 23rd through slabtown and into Pearl. Really is becoming almost a large, hip, contiguous neighborhood.

Once Pearl and Slabtown are built up (not far off now), I wonder where developers will turn? I love the feel of old town, it's such a shame it's in the state it's in. What a cool historic vibrant area that should be.

Or conversion of downtown offices to residential. With office vacancies at their current and seemingly new normal, costs will be relatively cheap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland