HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Barton village bandaid with a stylized B. As if the silly banners do anything worthwhile. Slap on some signage and call it revitalization. Downtown Flint does the same thing.
Ummm.... a lot of distinct villages and historic neighbourhoods have those sort of banners, including those in Hamilton, such as Dundas. Outside Hamilton in the GTA, those same sort of banners can be found in Streetsville, Port Credit, Downtown Oakville, etc. In Toronto, distinct neighbourhoods/villages have their own unique street signage. Markham is the same way. It has nothing to do with revitalization.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ummm, yes it does in the above context, which is pretty obvious. Obviously many distinct places have banners of this sort (I know a thing or two about marketing, but thanks anyway).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:16 PM

Strangely enough, there is a strip of Polish businesses a little further east on Barton and there is no signage or acknowledgement from the city at all. Many other cities would play it up as Little Warsaw or something. Instead, Hamilton has Barton Village, which offers very little to anyone who might venture there (unless you're looking for crack or a prostitute).

It might be a bit better now, they recently built a big medical research centre near Barton Village.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:27 AM
Hammer'd

Looking at all these photos again I'm realizing that Barton actually looks a fair bit better now. A lot of buildings through "Barton Village" got renovations done. New windows, paint and re-marketed to a slightly higher standard. The area around the hospital is also incredibly different. The old Smart Turner building is now completely restored as the Mark Preece House, all of the brownfields were turned into parking for the hospital and a new A&W. Centre Mall was also almost completely demolished and re-built into big boxes.

Barton isn't quite James North yet but there's a lot of big differences when you compare to what it looked like in these photos. All of the improvements around the hospital are definitely having an effect on the area, very slowly. The West Avenue restored school house is a good example. Barton's slowly coming back...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 2:53 PM

I was in hamilton many years ago as it was only some 50 odd miles from buffalo ny, my hometown. It reminded me of the gritty blue collar nature of Buffalo, what was different i think, and this perhaps is a canadien characteristic, it's tallest building was a residential highrise, my impression of canadien cities in general is that highrise living is more popular...even their smaller cities have residential highrises.
I loved the view from atop the hill of downtown hamilton...on my way to limeridge mall, a more suburban neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:39 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice thread, Flar.. Hamilton is quite different than other Canadian cities!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 6:16 AM
Concerned Citizen

Just returned to this thread by chance to have a look. Since this year is the 10th anniversary of the thread it would be nice to see some newer photos of the area. Sort of a before and after.

I know Flar doesn't live in the area anymore, but maybe someone else could take it upon themself to give us some updated photos. I am sure some would like to see if anything has changed or if it has gotten worse.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 10:28 PM

Went to West City and now its called Nellies. I had the spicy noodles and dad had the Fish and Chips. On the way home we drove pretty much all the way down Barton. It is still the same. Traffic was pretty bad for a Wednesday.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 11:33 PM

Huh? this is Canada's worst grit? It doesn't even look that bad, looks like a cool place.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:31 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

a classic. i
miss the old hamilton threads on here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 2:16 PM

^Flar's forsaken us...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:10 PM

flar hamilton threads were a cornerstone of my early SSP viewing experience.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 9:25 PM

I visited the Hamilton Hospital (Barton) several times to have nerve blocks on my neck roughly a decade ago (whiplash injury). I walked from the Go-Train to the hospital and back each time. Just in that short distance you get to see some areas that have seen better times, but I never felt ill at ease. Just like any other city, when you walk by a group of people that look down on their luck, you pay attention. I never travelled further east and it looks like it gets grittier that way. I may have been a bit nervous if I was carrying a DSLR and taking pictures, but the same could be said about different areas of any big city.
Loved the pictures by the way and enjoyed the commentary!

Last edited by dewE; Apr 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 6:22 AM

Looking nice and neat....only it's NOT!

Thanks for sharing. Some of the gent's clubs and pros looking good for real. You have GUTS to take pictures in there (I heard with a DSLR on foot), I admire you.
Next time try the 10 worst urban neighborhoods in America one by one.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 11:49 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
You have GUTS to take pictures in there (I heard with a DSLR on foot), I admire you.
Hamilton is a fairly safe city. It's Canada.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:20 PM

If you walk the length of Barton Street you are guaranteed to encounter the drug trade and the sex trade, but you won't be in serious danger. Worst that would happen is someone tries to steal your camera or threatens you for taking a picture of their illegal activity. The second thing has happened to me several times. But nobody has ever tried to steal my camera, even in Detroit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
If you walk the length of Barton Street you are guaranteed to encounter the drug trade and the sex trade, but you won't be in serious danger. Worst that would happen is someone tries to steal your camera or threatens you for taking a picture of their illegal activity. The second thing has happened to me several times. But nobody has ever tried to steal my camera, even in Detroit.
Back in spring 2011, downtown Kansa City, MO. Sunday afternoon, I was scammed $5 for letting other take photos of me. How stupid I was. It was Sunday DTKCMO for Christ sake, I shouldn't have shown myself out in there in first place.

DTKCMO is not a friendly area, only Crown Center surroundings are fine for weekend family activities.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Back in spring 2011, downtown Kansa City, MO. Sunday afternoon, I was scammed $5 for letting other take photos of me. How stupid I was. It was Sunday DTKCMO for Christ sake, I shouldn't have shown myself out in there in first place.

DTKCMO is not a friendly area, only Crown Center surroundings are fine for weekend family activities.
American cities are dog eat dog, I try not to engage certain people because they will try to hustle you.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 2:17 PM

new orleans: "i bet i can tell you where you got your shoes!" the correct answer is "my feet," and you keep walking... lest you get your arm twisted into going down a road where you end up forking over cash...unless you are willing to tell someone to fuck off and they make you feel like you are about to be assaulted.

a lot of it is in how you carry yourself, and the "conversation." it's best to have a sense of humor and about anything can slide off. i've never been in a pinch i couldnt talk my way out of unless the person was completely psychotic. usually they can't keep up with me in that case...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 4:39 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
new orleans: "i bet i can tell you where you got your shoes!" the correct answer is "my feet," and you keep walking... lest you get your arm twisted into going down a road where you end up forking over cash...unless you are willing to tell someone to fuck off and they make you feel like you are about to be assaulted.

When my friend was living in New Orleans her friend had a gun pulled on him by one of these guys! This was on Canal st too, although a bit north of downtown. Her main advice (other than what non French Quarter neighbourhoods to go to) was to "keep walking if you see the shoe guys".

Lots of those types in South Africa too - the trick is not to get trapped in a conversation where you end up "friends" with someone and then owe them. The guy we were staying with who travels all over Africa as a news correspondent says his strategy when asked "hey can I ask you a question?" (the usual opener there) is to follow up directly with "sure you can but I'm not giving you any money". Apparently it hasn't failed and usually ends up with the other person laughing. Maybe wouldn't try that in the US though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos