HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 14, 2005, 11:00 PM

^ I could be totally wrong on this , but I thought Zara's first Canadian store was originally in Montreal

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 12:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Toronto's going to be the obvious choice for a long time because it is large and easy to get to from the US.

Either way it doesn't matter a whole lot because most of the new stores are not that impressive.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 1:01 AM
Community Guy

west edmonton mall is getting its fair share of 1st entrants into canada and western canada:

hollister
abercrombie and fitch

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 1:11 AM
GT Champion

/\ yeah WEM has been doing quite well in this regard, French Connection, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, just a couple more that set up in Edm before anywhere else in the west.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 3:36 AM
Urbis Maximus

I also believe that American Apparel set up its first western Canada store in Edmonton on Whyte. I recall the sales lady saying that back when it first opened.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 10:01 AM
samsonyuen

American Apparel - what a ripoff! It's just sweats and T-shirts!

I do believe Zara opened their first on Bloor St. before Montreal's. Was the first one on Ste-Catharine?

WEM still has the only Forever 21 in Canada. The Hollister will open at the same time ast the two Toronto stores, and A&F is due to open, but it's not been stated when yet.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 10:14 PM

yup the Zara opened in Place Montreal Trust (with a streetfront entrance at the corner of Ste-Catherine Street and Mansfield)

they took over the old Marks & Spencer store that closed shop when that chain pulled out of Canada.

Montreal also used to have an Abercrombie & Fitch in that same downtown mall, when it was first built at the end of the 1980s/early 90's.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 11:51 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW
I also believe that American Apparel set up its first western Canada store in Edmonton on Whyte. I recall the sales lady saying that back when it first opened.
They've also opened a store at 17th Ave. & 14th Street SW (former Mother's Music) in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 1:37 AM
GT Champion

A+F will be opening in Edmonton in November. WEM also used to have one back when Woodwards operated the brand in Canada.

Id bet donuts to dollars that the mall will get Western Canada's first H&M as well (not that this would be a big coup or anything though...)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 2:30 AM

A&F was in the Exchange Tower in Toronto in the late '80s/early '90s, back when A&F was the land of the $400 croquet set. They had two floors, where the Starbucks and the food court is now.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 1:11 PM

Some recent Calgary info -

-Chinook Centre's Williams-Sonoma store opening was the 2nd biggest opening, sales-wise, in the company's history - the only store that did better was Manhattan's 30,000 sq.ft. flagship store. Western Canada only location

-Fourth Banana Republic location recently opened at Market Mall

-Pottery Barn is almost complete with its 15,500 sq.ft. Chinook location. The store has a huge exterior storefront facing Macleod Trail

-Urban Oufitters has signed a deal to build a 12,000 square foot store at Deerfoot Meadows

-Sunridge Mall opened its new foodcourt last month as part of ongoing $50 million redevelopment

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

"Id bet donuts to dollars that the mall will get Western Canada's first H&M as well "

ive emailed them to open on jasper....

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 8:02 PM
samsonyuen

MTL-514: Is that Zara reopened now?

Plus15: Isn't it strange that they built the only Williams-Sonoma in Chinook, but the first Pottery Barn in Vancouver (yet no Williams-Sonoma to speak of)? In Toronto, all four are paired up in the same mall, with two of the pairs having a Pottery Barn Kids too.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 8:41 PM

^ yes. the Zara was undergoing some major renovations/expansions for a few months. I think it's now fully open again. it's a 20 second walk from my office building. I should probably know for sure, but I guess I haven't been getting out of the office onto Ste-Catherine Street very much this summer...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 9:06 PM

Yes, SSLL, I find that sort of odd. Vancouver was the obvious choice for the first Williams-Sonoma. I guess the right location hasn't come along, or they are unsure about whether to go with a streetside or mall location.

On a side note, shopping at US based stores in Canada is really becoming a ripp-off! For example, the markup at Williams-Sonoma & Pottery Barn ranges between 45-50% on all items in the Canadian stores - and with an $.85 dollar - we are getting soaked!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2005, 2:20 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW
They've also opened a store at 17th Ave. & 14th Street SW (former Mother's Music) in Calgary.
This was back in March. There are AA's in Vancouver and Calgary now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2005, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
"Id bet donuts to dollars that the mall will get Western Canada's first H&M as well "

ive emailed them to open on jasper....
Hops Building would be Perfect

Old Posted Sep 17, 2005, 10:22 PM
samsonyuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15
Yes, SSLL, I find that sort of odd. Vancouver was the obvious choice for the first Williams-Sonoma. I guess the right location hasn't come along, or they are unsure about whether to go with a streetside or mall location.

On a side note, shopping at US based stores in Canada is really becoming a ripp-off! For example, the markup at Williams-Sonoma & Pottery Barn ranges between 45-50% on all items in the Canadian stores - and with an $.85 dollar - we are getting soaked!
Try living in the UK! I refuse to buy anything I can buy in Toronto, here. It's almost the same price as the US prices, but in £! Like a 100% markup!!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 3:36 AM

A mountain equipment co-op is opening downtown in Victoria early 06.

And the Virgin megastore in Vancouver is an HMV now with shitty selection. What's up with that?!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 3:52 AM
BANNED

I was just at WEM today. They really need to fix that place up!

I did buy a cell phone finally, it cost me $550 with the security deposit and $200 that I'll get back in the first bill, but man, I didn't realize how expensive it was to get a cell!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada