HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 1:14 AM
Resident Jackass

Sheetrock delivery to highrise construction

Typically when a home is under construction the sheetrock is delivered on a boom truck. The panes of glass on 2nd floor windows are removed and the sheets are boomed up and slid through the window.

When a skyscraper is under construction, how is the sheetrock delivered throughout the building? Most likely they would be useing 16 foot sheets to cut down on labor would that fit in a freight elevator or a construction elevator?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:12 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

You've got tower cranes as well.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:15 PM
Resident Jackass

but they wouldnt do the drywall until after the glass/curtain wall is in.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:42 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Pre-positioning of materials maybe?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 4:26 AM
Never Dell

They're generally in sheets that fit the freight elevators.

Some tenant improvements are concurrent with the shell and core construction and by the same contractor -- I don't know the guidelines, but definitely there's some pre-loading of large materials before enclosure. Other TIs are started after enclosure. Also, many TIs are while the building is complete and occupied, including both new buildouts and renovations. When the building is occupied, TIs generally involve night movement of materials and debris, and usually rely on the freight elevator. For a major occupied TI, you can pop a window or panel and bring in a mobile crane or other hoist, but that's a major cost and also disruptive to other tenants. It's usually limited to stuff that can't be delivered in pieces, like air handling units.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 3:12 AM

The buildings I am familar do what is stated above. The drywall contractor knows exactly what size will fit on the freight. They will then cut them all to size. From the drywall delivery truck up to the floor its usually good old fashioned manual labor, sometimes only 5-10 sheets on a cart at a time.

Usually when a building is built the sheetrock is only going to be installed on base building areas such as the perimeter walls and the walls for the bathrooms, building core etc.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:47 AM

what about remodels in some of these buildings with dinky elevators? Are they forced to used sheets smaller than 4' X 8' or do they have to use a wet applied plaster?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 8:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

they use drywall... trust me no one does plaster anymore way to expensive cheaper to cut the sheet rock and move it in the dinky elivators

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 5:49 AM

Winnipeg highrises

What's the news on Winnipeg's new high-rise construction or Airport construction? Does the hydro building mean there's only one actual high-rise being built in Winnipeg since WHAT? The last high-rise must have been built 30 years ago when I was still in University.....where's the boom? I don't see it...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
What's the news on Winnipeg's new high-rise construction or Airport construction? Does the hydro building mean there's only one actual high-rise being built in Winnipeg since WHAT? The last high-rise must have been built 30 years ago when I was still in University.....where's the boom? I don't see it...

Welcome to the forum but I dont think you posted your question in the right place.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering