HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Tokyo Sky Tree in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Tokyo Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 7:04 PM

Saw it when I was in Tokyo this spring. Very impressive. Sorry they are a bit dated.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 6:03 PM
Back to Basics

It may be impressive in scale and construction techniques, but to me it looks like a giant water tower. It lacks all the grace of the CN Tower of which it copies its theme and massing.

The TV Tower in Guangzhou utilizes a much better and more graceful application of this tube-style construction.

These are water towers...Look familiar?

(Courtesy http://www.dmhs.org/map-photos/water_tower_14.html )

Last edited by Traynor; Aug 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 6:19 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

i disagree. the colors look much better than both the CN Tower and the Guangzhou TV Tower. Plus the way the tower changes shapes from triangle to circle as it rises is genius!

I'd never expect something like this would look so good. And really hated it at first but it grew on me.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 6:58 AM
Metal Up Your !

Not a big fan of this "monument," or whatever it may be. All those large white tubes criss crossing each other is just not elegant or beautiful, as something of this scale should be. That's just my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 11:00 PM

This structure isn't simply a "monument". It is a broadcasting tower.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Not a big fan of this "monument," or whatever it may be. All those large white tubes criss crossing each other is just not elegant or beautiful, as something of this scale should be. That's just my opinion.
ya i agree, idk whyy people keep building these thing there all ugly....from the Seattle Space Needle to the Guangzhou TV tower....if you need a broadcasting Antenna plot it ontop of a building like the Sears tower or the ESB....why destroy the skyline....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
ya i agree, idk whyy people keep building these thing there all ugly....from the Seattle Space Needle to the Guangzhou TV tower....if you need a broadcasting Antenna plot it ontop of a building like the Sears tower or the ESB....why destroy the skyline....
Tokyo's skyline is really nothing to be destroyed. If anything, this is the most remarkable thing about its skyline

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsodog View Post
Tokyo's skyline is really nothing to be destroyed. If anything, this is the most remarkable thing about its skyline
but its not a building,its just a big ugly white mast

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
but its not a building,its just a big ugly white mast
Oh, I wasn't aware that something can't be in a skyline just because its not a building (cn tower ?) .

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware that something can't be in a skyline just because its not a building (cn tower ?) .
the CN tower is ugly too....of course thats just my opinion

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 2:35 AM

Quote:
The problem is Tokyo and many other cities don't have buildings as tall as the ESB or Sears to attach a broadcasting antenna to.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
The problem is Tokyo and many other cities don't have buildings as tall as the ESB or Sears to attach a broadcasting antenna to.
all in all i would say that Tokyo played its cards wrong,with 30 million residents it should have thought "supertall" instead of building in every nook and cranny to accommodate for space, unfortunately now the skyline is dominated by a soulless metal protrusion from the sea of density. simply pointless,build a supertall...put your antennae's on top...problem solved.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:28 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
all in all i would say that Tokyo played its cards wrong,with 30 million residents it should have thought "supertall" instead of building in every nook and cranny to accommodate for space, unfortunately now the skyline is dominated by a soulless metal protrusion from the sea of density. simply pointless,build a supertall...put your antennae's on top...problem solved.
have u ever even been to tokyo?

tokyo didnt go supertall because of earthquakes. duh! they get more earthquakes there then even we get here in cali.

i have been to tokyo many times and consider it a man-made wonder. a 'city' with a pop. nearly equivalent to california?!? that's something to wrap your mind around.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
have u ever even been to tokyo?

tokyo didnt go supertall because of earthquakes. duh! they get more earthquakes there then even we get here in cali.

i have been to tokyo many times and consider it a man-made wonder. a 'city' with a pop. nearly equivalent to california?!? that's something to wrap your mind around.
yup i went there when i was 18 and i did find Tokyo to be stunning,but im sure if they spent a lil extra they could build big. we all know that there one of the only paces that has a 6000+ ft. proposal. (not to mention they built this monstrosity)

here that 6000 footer i was talking about

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149738

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:39 AM

Only recently has architecture in Japan gotten to the point where large buildings can be comfortably built. Just in the last 50 years have people gotten over the idea that the city may need to be entirely re-built every few years from earthquakes and the resulting fires (imagine living with that mindset, *everything* was built to be temporary!). Many of the buildings pre-date that time period, and of course, in a city who has the population of Canada change does not come very fast. Tokyo experiences an earthquake, or feels the tremors of an earthquake, every couple of days. This was not the area to build a supertall, without recent technological advances.

You may notice most of the buildings in Tokyo were built extremely wide, not extremely tall.

This is not even to mention the frequent typhoons, Tokyo is hit directly by several per year (with 100 mph wind), and manages to cope remarkably well.

Last edited by Yume-sama; Sep 2, 2010 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 6:03 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i think we have the technology to build taller in tokyo but the costs just don't make sense. this structure is made up of thousands and thousands of metal rods which are meant to support a few floors and dozens of broadcasting antennas.

imagine how much steel they'd need to make a building just as tall that's almost completely habitable. not only would it have small floor plates (or extremely large ones), but it'd cost millions more. it just wouldn't make sense to developers.

but anyways, stop derailing the thread. lets stick to our opinions on the building and comments about its construction. there's an appropriate sub-forum for these types of conversations.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 11:09 AM
if I sang out of tune

Tokyo has strict height restrictions due to the earthquakes and yearly typhoons. However the city still has the largest average floorspaces of office buildings in the world - they are truly gargantuan, taking up entire blocks or in multipled conjoined 'towers'. Hardly anything tapers. In any other city the buildings would be half as wide and twice as tall.

http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com

For example, the Ropponggi Hills Tower has more floorspace than the Sears Tower, even though its a fraction of the height:

www.tokyoarchitecture.info

If you read between the lines Tokyo would have the biggest skyline in the world if it weren't for the height restrictions.

Last edited by muppet; Sep 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 11:18 AM

bottom line,im not criticizing Tokyo i understand all the restrictions.its just sad to see so much wasted potential. but anyways i just dont like this thing or anything in the world like it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 11:33 AM
if I sang out of tune

Edit: actually just looked it up Ropponggi Hills (7.8 million sq. feet) has more than 1.5 times area of the Sears Tower, and almost twice the old World Trade Center towers .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture