HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:12 PM

^ is that the new locomotive? When should we expect to see the bi-levels?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
^ is that the new locomotive? When should we expect to see the bi-levels?
Not till December of 2019. They have a rendering of them here:

http://www.septa.org/service/rail/im.../upgrades.html

Going to be a beauty.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:29 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
SEPTA approves route for KOP to Center City rail line

Read more here:
http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...city-rail-line
PlanPhilly is usually better than that...the rail line is from KOP to 69th Street, it's the NHSL extension.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:57 PM
Future World Dictator

Obviously there are a ton of technical and logistical issues why it would never happen, but damn it would be nice to be able to get on a MFL train at City Hall and take it express (with only 4-5 stops) to KOP...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Going to be a beauty.
Beauty? I don't know. Just because it's not repulsive by American aesthetic standards doesn't make it beautiful IMO. I wouldn't hold my breath either for those cab end styling features as their not making it to actual production would be quite unsurprising. Septa desperately needs an in house master designer to help it crawl out of it's dowdy reputation. Hot mess livery, hot mess station architecture, hot mess information graphics, hot mess everything. It's actually a disgrace for such an important American city.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:58 PM

Can one of the mods tag this as Philadelphia? I keep forgetting this thread exists...
More pics of 901:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=4887925
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=4887926
Apparently she was seen at Warminster yesterday. I think they're taking her on a different line each day to test clearances, speed, etc

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:20 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 8:47 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
That's just another guided bus...and probably another scam like the elevated bus... SEPTA would be better off building BRT or LRT lines..

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 10:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
...and probably another scam...

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 4:28 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Not till December of 2019. They have a rendering of them here:

http://www.septa.org/service/rail/im.../upgrades.html

Going to be a beauty.
Eh the paint job coulda taken advantage of the loco's features better. The ACS-64 really has a very angry look about it doncha think?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 2:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The ACS-64 really has a very angry look about it doncha think?
I've never really liked the styling since the first day I saw the rendering. Since the ACS-64 is essentially a Siemens Vectron I don't understand why they felt the need to modify the front end cosmetics, especially to something that I find menacing and unsophisticated looking IMO. They should have just supplied Amtrak with the stock body styling that looks much better:

_

_

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:47 PM
Me?!?

City planning commission recommends four new transit-oriented development sites in North Philly

http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...n-north-philly

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:57 PM

The Coalition for the Northeast Corridor sent a letter to the White House this week urging the President to ensure that Philadelphia's critical infrastructure will see the funding it needs.

Quote:
Due to heavy use and a lack of adequate maintenance in recent years, 30th Street Station is falling apart, an urgent problem that demands an immediate solution as annual ridership is expected to grow 3.5 percent. If 30th Street Station is not repaired, thousands of commuters will face delays and cancellations.

The 30th Street Station District Plan would modernize the station itself to accommodate more passengers and increased rail traffic, and it would also lead to 10 million square feet of transit-oriented development in surrounding areas.

Despite the benefits it would bring, the District Plan project is at risk of stalling completely because of a lack of funding, which is why the federal government must step in to help move it forward.

While it is encouraging to see the Trump administration begin substantively addressing the nation’s outdated infrastructure, the White House and congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle must now take the next step to unlock the nation’s economic potential by devoting resources to vital NEC projects such as the 30th Street Station District Plan. In particular, the Appropriations Committee has an important role to play in 2018 to fund intercity passenger and commuter rail along the Northeast Corridor
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e-greater.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 2:59 AM
Midrise

"30th Street Station is falling apart, an urgent problem that demands an immediate solution"

That seems a strange assertion, considering the exterior restoration work currently well underway and extensive interior restoration that was done a couple decades or so ago.

EDIT: Okay, I see the previous interior and exterior work was done way back in 1991 at a cost of $75 million:

https://www.hines.com/properties/30t...n-philadelphia

Quote:
In 1988, SWH Management, Inc., a subsidiary of Hines, was hired to manage the renovation and restoration of the 30th Street Station train station in Philadelphia. The $75 million project included the restoration of the main concourse area with its 90-foot-high coffered ceiling and massive marble columns; refurbishment of the building's exterior; rehabilitation of 280,000 square feet of office space; and the conversion of a former mail handling facility into a 420-car underground parking garage.

The renovation of 30th Street Station was completed in the spring of 1991.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
"30th Street Station is falling apart, an urgent problem that demands an immediate solution"

That seems a strange assertion, considering the exterior restoration work currently well underway and extensive interior restoration that was done a couple decades or so ago.

EDIT: Okay, I see the previous interior and exterior work was done way back in 1991 at a cost of $75 million:

https://www.hines.com/properties/30t...n-philadelphia
The interior still isn't in that bad of shape, but the Amtrak platforms could use some TLC.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:31 PM

Can we get this tagged as Philly already?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 PM

I’ve been hearing about this northeast maglev project every now and then. My question is why do they want to start by spending $15B on a DC/Baltimore line instead of NY/Philly, the two largest cities on the east coast? I understand that Baltimore and DC are closer, but it looks like the majority of the line will be underground, thus vastly inflating the construction cost. The NEC between Philly and NYC is fairly wide and strait (given maglev curve constraints). Looking at the satellite images, there appears to be a lot of unused real estate in the existing ROW that they could leverage for something like this. I’m sure a lot of people will deem this just a waste of money, but there’s a lot of business travel between the two cities and just seems like it would be a greater benefit, maybe even help push the gateway project forward, which definitely needs to get done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.446735f08864

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:16 PM
Me?!?

Consultant sought to improve transit along the developing Philly waterfront
Updated: MARCH 16, 2018 — 10:54 AM EDT
by Jason Laughlin, Staff Writer @jasmlaughlin | jlaughlin@phillynews.com

Plans for a major transit upgrade along the Delaware River waterfront have been floating around for more than a decade at least.

That could involve a trolley or light rail line to accompany hoped-for development to reshape the waterfront. But SEPTA is pursuing a $1 billion plan to modernize its existing trolley fleet, and the current funding formula makes it unlikely any additional expansion will happen in the next few years.

The Delaware River Waterfront Corp. (DRWC) is looking to improve transit along the river sooner than that. With $200,000 from the William Penn Foundation, it is seeking a consultant to explore how to boost existing transit options to the waterfront, and set the stage so a more significant investment in rail could become a reality.

“With the William Penn grant, we wanted to really focus on some immediate improvements that we can do to get people up and down the waterfront and those crosstown connections, because that hadn’t really happened yet,” said Karen Thompson, DRWC director of planning.

The area under consideration runs from Oregon Avenue to Allegheny Avenue. SEPTA’s Route 25 bus runs on Delaware Avenue and Columbus Boulevard, and more than 10 other bus routes intersect with or come near those roads.

The consultant’s review, Thompson said, would be due in late 2018, and would evaluate ways to improve transit use. Possibilities include new or improved shelters, more frequent service, and a marketing campaign to make transit options more visible. Other agencies participating in the review include PennDot, the Delaware River Port Authority, city government, and SEPTA.

“SEPTA is looking at increasing the span and frequency of service to better reflect the needs of the retail and recreational destinations at the waterfront,” said spokesman Andrew Busch. SEPTA is considering creating uniform service throughout work days and weekends, rather than schedules that favor traditional rush hours, he added.

The waterfront was once a virtual dead zone, in part due to I-95’s cutting off easy pedestrian access, but it has become more of a destination in the last five years. The Spruce Street Harbor Park at Penn’s Landing attracts about 750,000 people a season, the DRWC reported. The nearby Winterfest attracts up to 350,000 from November to March.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180316.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I’ve been hearing about this northeast maglev project every now and then. My question is why do they want to start by spending $15B on a DC/Baltimore line instead of NY/Philly, the two largest cities on the east coast? I understand that Baltimore and DC are closer, but it looks like the majority of the line will be underground, thus vastly inflating the construction cost. The NEC between Philly and NYC is fairly wide and strait (given maglev curve constraints). Looking at the satellite images, there appears to be a lot of unused real estate in the existing ROW that they could leverage for something like this. I’m sure a lot of people will deem this just a waste of money, but there’s a lot of business travel between the two cities and just seems like it would be a greater benefit, maybe even help push the gateway project forward, which definitely needs to get done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.446735f08864

Because it's never going to happen. Elon Musk's whole thing is throwing out these totally unrealistic project to wow state politicians into rethinking spending money to upgrade mass transit including the NEC. This works for him because Tesla is a market leading in the emerging EV segment. Musk has no interest in ending our addiction to cars.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Because it's never going to happen. Elon Musk's whole thing is throwing out these totally unrealistic project to wow state politicians into rethinking spending money to upgrade mass transit including the NEC. This works for him because Tesla is a market leading in the emerging EV segment. Musk has no interest in ending our addiction to cars.
This is separate from the hyperloop. This is to build a Maglev line from DC to NYC (with the first leg being constructed from DC to Baltimore). More realistic in the near-term since the technology is already in use in different places around the world (and the Japanese government already agreed to pay for part of the costs).

It just seems like starting with a DC/Baltimore route doesn't make as much sense as Philly/NYC (even given the distance). They plan to put most of it underground ($$$), and the existing Amtrak ridership total is 6.3M (vs 14.8 for Philly/NYC). Then there's the fact that there are flights between NYC and Philly to feed off of, while there are none for DC/Baltimore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation