HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:23 PM

Demo Continues

deleted

Last edited by psueng7; May 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 11:45 PM

^Nice shots!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:04 PM

Awesome shots pseung7!!

Here are more shots of the demo from Hidden City

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/02/w...heds-its-skin/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:42 AM

God, just tear down the fuckin' edges already . . . it's as if they're torturing me with that awful stunted 70s facade with every last day of grotesquery they can get out of it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
God, just tear down the fuckin' edges already . . . it's as if they're torturing me with that awful stunted 70s facade with every last day of grotesquery they can get out of it.
[Dude, don't let them know it's getting to you, or they'll just leave 'em up even longer. ]

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:35 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by psueng7 View Post

I love that picture, big time! The head house entrance to the convention center looks great as a back drop. Thank God we still have buildings like that left in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Quote:
[Dude, don't let them know it's getting to you, or they'll just leave 'em up even longer. ]
Dude, I laughed my butt of on this exchange. Actually I heard there was a redesign that was going to keep the 70's facade after all, going all the way around the new project. Apparently there is some significant historical value to the facade after all!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Actually I heard there was a redesign that was going to keep the 70's facade after all, going all the way around the new project. Apparently there is some significant historical value to the facade after all!
Actually, in all seriousness, given how carefully they seem to be avoiding demolishing it, I was wondering if maybe they now intend to preserve what's left of the old Snellenburg's facade (after exorcising the demon of that 1970s hideousness, of course) to incorporate into what they end up building there. An example of that kind of thing can be found on the 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue in DC, where they incorporated a row of older facades into an office building constructed in the 1980s:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9008...nzAfVKfFQw!2e0

Probably not, but it really does seem as if they're preserving that facade at the moment (and NOT just to piss off our buddy Cro ).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDrew View Post
Actually I heard there was a redesign that was going to keep the 70's facade after all, going all the way around the new project. Apparently there is some significant historical value to the facade after all!
Dear SSP Philly Thread participants:

Though this news will no doubt delight many readers, I regret to inform you that aspiring -many would say wannabe - gadfly, Cro Burnham, was discovered earlier this evening impaled on one of the sheet metal finials of the remains of 1101 Market Street, upon which he had thrown himself in an as-yet inexplicable fit of desperation from a window at the neighboring Loews. Efforts to revive him at Jefferson Trauma Center have not been successful. In his pocket, a cryptic note was found with the barely legible words scrawled "i cannot take it any more!!!"

Those who might have an inkling as to the motivation for this senseless, though perhaps much-to-be celebrated, act are urged to share it with investigating authorities who may otherwise drop such a plainly idiotic case and make a donut run.

Attorney-in-Fact for Cro Burnham

G. Shitward Crapfphyle III

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:25 PM

delted

Last edited by psueng7; May 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Nope. It's all coming down in the end. The perimeter is being left up along 11th and 12th for stability of the soil in the streets, and will come down once the shoring is installed. The Market Street elevation will be coming down once the project resolves some issues related to the adjacent SEPTA concourse.
Thanks! And more importantly, our colleague Cro Burnham thanks you--IF we can bring him back to life.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:03 PM

Old bones

I walked by the site this morning and you can see the old columns behind the current crappy facade. It was like an archaeological dig.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Nope. It's all coming down in the end. The perimeter is being left up along 11th and 12th for stability of the soil in the streets, and will come down once the shoring is installed. The Market Street elevation will be coming down once the project resolves some issues related to the adjacent SEPTA concourse.
Is it possible that there is a contract for architectural salvage?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Dear SSP Philly Thread participants:

Though this news will no doubt delight many readers, I regret to inform you that aspiring -many would say wannabe - gadfly, Cro Burnham, was discovered earlier this evening impaled on one of the sheet metal finials of the remains of 1101 Market Street, upon which he had thrown himself in an as-yet inexplicable fit of desperation from a window at the neighboring Loews. Efforts to revive him at Jefferson Trauma Center have not been successful. In his pocket, a cryptic note was found with the barely legible words scrawled "i cannot take it any more!!!"

Those who might have an inkling as to the motivation for this senseless, though perhaps much-to-be celebrated, act are urged to share it with investigating authorities who may otherwise drop such a plainly idiotic case and make a donut run.

Attorney-in-Fact for Cro Burnham

G. Shitward Crapfphyle III
Jumped or was he pushed?.....better call Saul!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
But for now, better ask for Jimmy.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:55 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Yep, it was originally a block-size department store on par with Macy's.

Lit Brothers, technically speaking.

I was curious about how big the old department store was and so I calculated the square footage of the main building: The structure was 400 feet long by 180 feet wide and had six stores and (by the looks of things) a bargain basement: just over 500,000 sf total. I'm betting the company offices were in the Stephen Girard Building and that most of the warehousing functions were located in the Men's Store annex to maximize the gross salable sf of the main building, historically.

The thick brick walls in the demo site suggest that the structure was actually three buildings: large east and west wings unified by a rather smaller central structure. Given how narrow that central portion is, my guess is that it held the building's main escalators and elevator banks, much like how Wanamaker's was set up (and Macy's still uses).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:20 PM

deleted

Last edited by psueng7; May 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
An anonymous tip-off has fingered Blenfest.

Crapfphyle III

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:34 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Thanks! And more importantly, our colleague Cro Burnham thanks you--IF we can bring him back to life.
A cliche came to mind when I read that. "be careful what you wish for......."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:14 PM

In a last ditch effort to revive our . . . friend . . . . Cro Burnham, images of of the dismantling of sheet metal panels from the cornice of 1101 Market were waved frantically by the chief neurologist before Cro's rolled up, cataracted, catotonic eyes . . . and I am afraid to report this has miraculously . . . in the view of some (OK, probably in the view of many), most unfortunately . . . . revived the patient from what had been considered a most certainly terminal coma.

I lied that his absence aroused great jubilation sympathy among Philly SSP community, which Cro found very heartening.

Therefore, with profound condolences, I inform you that he will be rejoining your forum shortly.

Regretfully Yours,

Crapfphyle III

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

It was the alpha, gamma, beta rays shooting out of the pieces of sheet metal from the cornice that remarkably healed the wounds that brought our friend, Cro back to life...yeah...that fringe science stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive