HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 8:39 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090712/...ouse_earthworm

Searchers shovel Northwest dirt seeking giant worm

By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer Nicholas K. Geranios, Associated Press Writer – Sun Jul 12, 1:45 am ET
MOSCOW, Idaho – The giant Palouse earthworm has taken on mythic qualities in this vast agricultural region that stretches from eastern Washington into the Idaho panhandle — its very name evoking the fictional sandworms from "Dune" or those vicious creatures from the movie "Tremors."

The worm is said to secrete a lily-like smell when handled, spit at predators, and live in burrows 15 feet deep. There have been only a handful of sightings.

.....the rest at the link.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:34 PM
World Traveler

Another article on Sandpoint, the little urban enclave in northern North Idaho. I'm anxiously awaiting the city's designation as a micro area by the U.S. Census Bureau. This occurs when the urban area reaches a population of 10,000, which happened this year (the micro area designation might be a year or two off, though).

Sandpoint leaders push for downtown housing
Thursday, July 30, 2009
by Dani Grigg

A town of 8,000 residents in northern Idaho is considering taking one of the most aggressive stances pushing mixed-use development in the state.

Sandpoint’s city officials are rewriting zoning codes to conform with the city’s comprehensive plan, approved by city council in February.

“One of the tenets of the comprehensive plan is to revitalize downtown by trying to fully develop the residential component … so areas are not left as vacant islands of inactivity after a business is closed,” Planning Director Jeremy Grimm said. “Our city attorney said this would be one of the most progressive or restrictive – depending on how you look at it – pieces of code that he’s aware of in the state if it’s approved of in draft form.”

The code would require specific types of downtown businesses – including professional offices, personal and professional services, and retail trade and services – to include a residential component. Developers would have to file for a conditional use permit to be allowed an exception.

Also, the code would require any building over 35 feet to include residential units.

The new comprehensive plan “prefers effective mixed-use development within the existing city limits rather than traditional suburban sprawl,”
Grimm said.

The new code would enforce that preference.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-require-resid
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 12:29 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

900 river miles from the Pacific to come home to Idaho

This is some great news and another reason why the Sawtooth Valley and Mountains are sacred. If salmon have the instinct to swim to the ocean and come back to the Sawtooths each year then obviously this place is special.

The entire article is at this link.
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005127436

Hundreds of sockeye return home

452 ‘red fish’ have arrived in Sawtooth Valley this summer from the Pacific Ocean

For the second summer in a row, hundreds of sockeye salmon are pouring into the upper reaches of the Salmon River near Stanley. Their final destination is the Redfish Lake area, in the eastern shadow of the ragged crest of the Sawtooth Mountains.

Altogether, 452 of the "red fish" have arrived at either of two fish traps located on the Salmon River at the Sawtooth Fish Hatchery or near the mouth of Redfish Lake Creek

Redfish Lake sockeye are unequaled in that they travel to the highest elevation, over 6,500 feet, run the longest distance, about 900 miles, and travel the farthest south of any North American sockeye population.

Idaho fisheries biologists hope that eventually, as many as 2,000 sockeye born from fish allowed to spawn naturally in Redfish Lake will migrate back to the Sawtooth Valley each summer. So far this summer, 69 sockeye born from natural spawners have returned.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 2:38 PM

mmmmmmmmm Salmon. Tasty

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 6:39 PM

Cool but unsettling story. The fact that Salmon swim in the Pacific Ocean and then make their way to Idaho is unbelievable amazing to me. The unsettling part?... humanity had to "re-intervene" to make it possible. For the most part, I'm ambivalent when it comes to "humanity." I think we go in cycles of positive and negative influence. But at any rate, what a footprint we make! In evolutionary terms, we are the equivalent of a giant asteroid. But with so much more subtlety. And oh... mmmmmmm salmon +1.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 5:00 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

There are historical accounts that most rivers in Idaho were almost the color red when the Salmon were spawning, swimming to the ocean or coming back home to Idaho.
It is amazing to think that before the dams were built on the Columbia and Snake that Idaho rivers were so thick with the red salmon that the rivers took on that color.

On another note, Pair in downtown Boise has some delicious Idaho salmon rangoon. They go great with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 9, 2009 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:13 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:00 PM

Sweet pictures, it is always a treat to come to this site and see pictures of Idaho and Boise. I wish somebody from Northern Idaho would post too.

Thanks for sharing these Sawtooth, I have to say that your most excellent well done classy and artistic tours of Boise must be inspiring others in the MW region as they post threads of their own cities. You rep us well!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:20 PM

Pretty. Idaho rules.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Lakes, Idaho style. Just a few Idaho mountain lake pictures I have taken the past year or so. I've posted some in the past and have a lot more and might post them later, possibly in the general photography forum. I can't believe Summer is winding down.

Hey Sawtooth, which lake is this one? I recognize the others, but I'm not sure about this one. Is it Petit or Alturas?

Stunning.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:00 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysee Boi View Post
Hey Sawtooth, which lake is this one? I recognize the others, but I'm not sure about this one. Is it Petit or Alturas?

Stunning.
It is Redfish Lake. I took this picture from an area near a campground on the south side of the lake.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:39 AM

Simply breathtaking...

Sawtooth, are those the sawtooth mountains in your pictures?

Another view..

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 3:10 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Simply breathtaking...

Sawtooth, are those the sawtooth mountains in your pictures?
Bingo!

Here are a few more photos of mine, this is only a small view of the Sawtooth's because the entire mountain range is nearly 40 miles in length and 20 miles wide. The view most people see from Highway 75 between Stanley and Galena Summit is just a glimpse or hint of what is in the Sawtooth Wilderness Area which is one of the largest roadless and wilderness areas in the USA. The EPA states the Sawtooth Wilderness has the cleanest air in the Lower 48, no surprise.

from Stanley

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:34 AM

WOW!!!!!

Ok.. That does it. I'm moving back there... It almost looks like the Alps.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 5:03 PM

How late into the Fall is the access to Redfish Lake open?
Idaho is the Gem of the Mountains.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 5:44 PM
Always running Late

absolutely stunning pictures sawtooth... have you ever been contacted professionally regarding your skills in photography?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 12:56 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

no, but I get a lot of pm's from people requesting more photos so I guess that counts for something

Here is a link for more extensive lake pictures of mine in the general photography thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=173970

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

The view most people see from Highway 75 between Stanley and Galena Summit is just a glimpse or hint of what is in the Sawtooth Wilderness Area which is one of the largest roadless and wilderness areas in the USA. The EPA states the Sawtooth Wilderness has the cleanest air in the Lower 48, no surprise.

Well, this is good news because when the inversions sock the Wasatch Front in for days and days on end and it is almost impossible to see across the street at my neighbors home I will have a good excuse to give my wife so that we can head up to Idaho to give our lungs a break and to clean them out and see grand scenery in the process.

Those mountains are surreal.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:24 PM

U of I Research News

IBR news:
http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ore-Processors

Researchers at the University of Idaho have created a single computer chip more powerful than 17,000 Intel quad core processors that runs on .03 percent of the power those chips would require.

The chip will be used on NASA’s developing Geostationary Synthetic Thinned Aperture Radiometer (GeoSTAR) project, which will observe hurricanes and other severe storms in the U.S. It is the latest in a long series of microprocessors created for NASA by the Center for Advanced Microelectronics and Biomolecular Research (CAMBR) located in Post Falls.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:17 PM

Nice Lake thread Sawtooth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West