HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:17 PM

No official announcement yet, but early signs point to Amazon's HQ2 going to Boston. Sad face.

Amazon could be leaning toward Boston for new HQ2 [Construction Dive]

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
No official announcement yet, but early signs point to Amazon's HQ2 going to Boston. Sad face.

That looks to me more like a sign that they’re *not* choosing Boston, but maybe want a significant R&D/operations/sales presence there nonetheless. If they wanted a huge campus they probably wouldn’t be leasing these buildings in this area, which isn’t even the site that Boston pitched to them. I don’t think they have room to grow in Seaport, which I believe is extremely expensive real estate.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:47 PM

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...munity-anchor/

SNEED EXCLUSIVE: Developer plans to make old county hospital a community anchor

CHICAGO 01/11/2018, 07:42pm

Michael Sneed

Quote:
• Translation: The restoration and redevelopment of Old Cook County Hospital has just taken a major step forward.

Sneed has learned a long-term, 99-year lease has finally been turned over to a private development team in anticipation of moving the major project into its first phase.

The private developer, Civic Health Development Group (CHDG), is led by Chicago-based developer John T. Murphy and includes Walsh Investors, Murphy Development Group, MB Real Estate, Plenary Group and Granite Companies.

OPINION

• The stats: CHDG plans to invest about $130 million of private dollars to transform the historic Old Cook County Hospital building into a community anchor for the hospital complex and surrounding community. The first tenants of the rehabilitated hospital building are expected sometime in 2019.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:58 PM

a bit more info:

Quote:
The first tenants of the rehabilitated old Cook County Hospital, which was derelict for nearly 14 years, will include a major hotel, administrative/medical offices and ground floor retail in the midst of the 16-acre Illinois Medical District.
heres hoping!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...munity-anchor/

SNEED EXCLUSIVE: Developer plans to make old county hospital a community anchor

CHICAGO 01/11/2018, 07:42pm

Michael Sneed

Great news...Hope it moves forward.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:

well that really sucks

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
That looks to me more like a sign that they’re *not* choosing Boston, but maybe want a significant R&D/operations/sales presence there nonetheless. If they wanted a huge campus they probably wouldn’t be leasing these buildings in this area, which isn’t even the site that Boston pitched to them. I don’t think they have room to grow in Seaport, which I believe is extremely expensive real estate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
well that really sucks
I don't think it has anything to do with their HQ2 search. Amazon will have a large presence in the education capital of the world regardless of where they have any sort of headquarters. Plus, the Boston BizJournals site explicitly reports that the space they're retaining in the South Waterfront has nothing to do with their HQ2 search:

Quote:
Tech giant Amazon.com is now in active negotiations to lease up to 1 million square feet in the Seaport District, a deal that’s separate from its ongoing HQ2 search and that the Business Journal was first to report last November.
I don't think it is necessarily a sign that they're not choosing Boston, either, I just think it truly is completely independent of their HQ2 search. While a million square feet is a lot, in the context of a company as large as Amazon, it's really not very big. In Seattle, Amazon has 13.6 million square feet of office space as of the end of November.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
He is certainly becoming this generation's primo benefactor - like a Rosenwald or a Palmer or Field.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:23 PM

Looks like that little infill building next to the Dunkin' off of the Damen stop is finally under construction.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Looks like that little infill building next to the Dunkin' off of the Damen stop is finally under construction.
There's nothing new going on over there. You must've seen the project up the street by Honore. Used to be a bar called the Southern. They finally started throwing up cinderblock.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with their HQ2 search. Amazon will have a large presence in the education capital of the world regardless of where they have any sort of headquarters. Plus, the Boston BizJournals site explicitly reports that the space they're retaining in the South Waterfront has nothing to do with their HQ2 search:

I don't think it is necessarily a sign that they're not choosing Boston, either, I just think it truly is completely independent of their HQ2 search. While a million square feet is a lot, in the context of a company as large as Amazon, it's really not very big. In Seattle, Amazon has 13.6 million square feet of office space as of the end of November.
This does not have anything to do with amazon HQ2 ...amazon was planning this in summer in boston before the announcment of HQ2..so everyone relax

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:29 AM

Why would anyone have to think this has anything to do with HQ2? Not to say it couldn't go to Boston, but you really think a company that made such big fanfare about a new 2nd headquarters would just out of the blue announce after some news of a big space being leaked out to the media? Doubtful. They are going to announce some final cities list sometime in the next few months before making their decision around summer.

As it's been shown, they've been shopping Boston for a particular office from before HQ2 announcement. This isn't any different from when Amazon announced leasing 360K sq ft of space in Hudson Yards - to me it sounds like a good footprint and good consolation prize of some sort but not the whole package.

Also, what's the deal with the defeatist attitude? This whole Amazon thing is ridiculous. It just seems, at least from what I read in the media, that anything that wouldn't go Chicago's way, like this, people jump all over as any reason to think that Chicago won't get anything. It's not to say Chicago will get Amazon HQ2, but they have as good of a shot as pretty much anyone else. What happened to that famous Chicago confidence from years ago? It's crazy how defeatist everyone is without just applying a little bit of logic and thought before speaking.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:12 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 12:05 AM

Question

That's much better. Would be excellent if they use real stone.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:58 PM

would also be excellent if a dinosaur flew down from space and built it in two days

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
would also be excellent if a dinosaur flew down from space and built it in two days

Using real stone might be just a tad bit more possible... Not likely, but sill considerably more plausible than construction capable dinosaurs from space...
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 11:48 PM

Wrigleyville

Dec 25

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:08 AM

So, 601W Companies who owns the Old Post Office bought the parking lot on Clinton between Harrison and Congress - just to the west of the Holiday Inn which is across from Old Post Office. They bought this for $10M on 12/5.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6404979

I know that Old Post Office had the option for other land when they pitched to Amaon, but were they going to purchase it no matter if they had a potential client or not?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 5:27 PM

Did some more internet searching and found that there's a new development in Englewood call 'Englewood Apartments'. Phase I will contain 8 buildings on vacant lots along Halsted from 61st to 59th St, and have 80 units and 20,000 sqft of retail. There will also be a 2,000 sqft community center, in-fill sites will be developed, and houses will be renovated. Phase II will include 160 units and 10,000 sqft or retail. Phase I has received LIHTC, as well as 20 of the units coming from CHA, so it's definitely a real project.

Sources:
http://www.thecha.org/assets/1/6/Ite...ard_Letter.pdf
http://www.thecha.org/chicago-housin...o-communities/
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...79333822081883

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development