HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 8:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 375 Pearl St (Verizon) | Renovation

Looks like it will get done this time...

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...-pearl-street/

Sabey to Renovate Office Floors at 375 Pearl Street

By Gus Delaporte 5/14/14

Quote:
Sabey Data Center Properties plans renovate 15 upper stories at the company’s 375 Pearl Street building to better accommodate office space.

The plans call for the installation of floor-to-ceiling windows on the top-half of the building, which is also known as Intergate.Manhattan. Windows will be added to the north, east and south sides of the building, while existing windows on the west façade will be uncovered from inside the structure.

All told, about half of the 1 million-square-foot building will be allotted for office space, with the lower half dedicated to data center space.

“The Internet economy is writing a whole new set of specifications for office space,” said John Sabey, the president of Sabey Data Centers, in a prepared statement. “We are proud to be among the first developers to meet the needs of businesses that require very high levels of security, connectivity and 24/7 operational assets for their work forces.”

Asking rent for office space in the building is in the low-$50s per square foot. As reported by Commercial Observer, Datagram signed a 5,200-square-foot office lease at 375 Pearl Street last month. The internet hosting provider’s deal was the first office lease at the building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 8:47 PM

Interesting but c'mon just clad it in all glass....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 10:14 PM

Still ugly, but anything would be an improvement. I agree that they should just do the whole thing in glass.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 10:27 PM
World Machine

I have a strange attachment to the current cladding, so I'm glad to see that most of it will survive the renovation.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I have a strange attachment to the current cladding, so I'm glad to see that most of it will survive the renovation.
Same partial renovation looks cool anyway

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Interesting but c'mon just clad it in all glass....
I have mixed feelings about it. I do like the other plan better. With this plan, it still looks like the same building. Is it a case of lipstick on a pig? I need to see more.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Stockholm syndrome.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:19 AM
Come As You Are

I would prefer they not alter the facade design at all, but if they're still keeping the some of the integrity of the original design, then I'm all for it! I'm so happy they're not covering it in plain green glass like the original plan suggested.. Architecture from that era needs to be more respected, and in my opinion, this is an impressive building. It just needed a clean.

It'll be funny when one day we will be kicking ourselves for hating buildings like these, just as the architects from the 20s hated Victorian buildings, and architects from the 60s hated early century buildings.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:40 AM

that rendering makes it look more like Frankenstein's monster. A bad mish-mash of opaque and transparent.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 12:48 PM

Ugh. This building is still a giant slab of concrete.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:53 PM

They left the worst part of this building (windowless concrete tumor with the verizon signage) unchaged, but I do like the X-bracing. Based on this render it's too hard for me to tell wether this is a significant improvement over the current structure, I'll have to wait until it gets renovated so that I can form a better opinion.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:58 PM

Wow, it honestly looks worse.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:02 PM

It's an odd design choice. Looks like something a hotel renovation company is being involved with, based on the render. I've been involved in smaller projects using companies like http://digneyyork.com/ and this render looks like it would fit better in the hospitality industry.

Sabey seems to be better suited for interior and low rise projects: http://sabey.com/commercial/. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 5:18 AM

Total travesty. This will be remembered as a great blunder in the future if they go through with it. It is quite clear that Modernism is now where the neoclassical, Chicago School, and Victorian styles were when buildings such as this were being built in the first place. No respect.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:11 PM

I don't really like this at all. It's like the just cut open holes in the building and filled them with clear plate glass... It really breaks the clean moderns facade. You might not like the building's original design, but everyone should agree that this is a really poor idea. They might as well re-clad the whole building (reflective glass and cover that cement block in aluminum and it'll fit in nicely...)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:41 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I have to say, this looks pretty half assed.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 5:03 AM

I know people hate this building, but I don't see an issue with it as it sits. It's not particularly pretty but it's fine for what it is. It's not practical for some office tenants to have huge windows.

I bet it will age better as it sits than it will with any modernization.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 6:04 AM

As ugly as the building is, it served its purpose. People with offices tend to like windows ... equipment that needs to be operational at all times does not. Most switching buildings were built without windows. I imagine the needs for a data center are not all that different.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 1:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

You can put icing on dog shit, but it is still nothing but a frosted dog turd.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture