HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:46 PM

I would really like if kennedy and Edmonton streets were thrust back through that mall and it was segmented up into more manageable parts for redevelopment. connecting kennedy back to ellice would probably discourage the crime that haunts that disgraceful promenade as well. the mall is a private business on private property so I never understand people when they say that it should be left as a romper room for the vagrants in the area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:11 AM

^ If the landlord didn't want the food court and rest of the mall, it would be gone tomorrow. Public sentiment doesn't play into it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

kennidy would not work theres high rise building in the way

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:42 AM
There is always a way

I wonder if there was more going on to the immediate north of portage place and if there were higher end residential around there, would that help solve lots of the "issues"?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

behind portage place is prolly 1000 people problem is was never managed proper

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...ther-1.4501229

This story is about my younger sister in law.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ that's horrible - very sad.

I read that article this morning before seeing your post. My condolences, I can't imagine how hard this must be for your family.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:54 PM
Heart of the Continent

None of us knew her that well. My wife/gf/fiancee only met her a couple of years ago. She has too many regrets right now because of this.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

overworked workers no mental health supports for any of the staff mixed with chaos and rules results in this mess so much going on its heart wrenching

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:51 PM

Manitoba Hydro Woes as view on Black Rod..

THURSDAY, JANUARY 25, 2018
It's time to call the family to pay their last respects. Manitoba Hydro is done.
A perfect storm is hitting Manitoba Hydro. Insolvency is inevitable.

Eight months ago we reported that Hydro was on its deathbed, based on the testimony of the utility's own witnesses at a hearing of the Manitoba Public Utilities Board.

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/2017/08/...bed-there.html
Since then the patient's condition has deteriorated rapidly. It's time to call the family to pay their last respects.

Last week the Bank of Canada announced that the years of low interest rates are officially over. The Bank raised the bank rate by one quarter of one percent. It was the third rate hike within a year. It's just the start.

The Bank of Canada expects at least one and possibly two more rate hikes in 2018. That will bring the bank rate to about half of where the Bank wants it to be. You read that right---half. The Bank of Canada wants the bank rate to steady out at 2.5 percent, the lower end of a range the Bank feels is right for a healthy economy.

Hydro lawyer Patti Ramage told the PUB last August that Manitoba Hydro "is today borrowing cash for interest annually on the debt being borrowed to build (Bipole III). It's a huge number. We're talking 150 million, 175 million."
"... we are borrowing money to fund our core Basic operations. That is an unsustainable practice...".

".. interest expense will soon consume 70 odd percent of every domestic dollar. 70 percent of every domestic dollar is going to go to interest expense."

"It doesn't take much of an error on the interest rate forecast for that to move up to a hundred percent or more."

"And we still have a business to run. We have to pay our operating costs, power purchases, water rentals, capital taxes, and by no means least of all, we have to replenish aging infrastructure."

She added: "... Manitoba Hydro has $12 billion to borrow over the next five (5) years. Extremely modest increases in borrowing costs against plan can quickly reduce Manitoba Hydro's income by fifty (50) to even a hundred million dollars per year."

Doubling the bank rate is hardly an "extremely modest increase in borrowing costs."

Have you been outside lately? Did you notice something missing?

Hint: there's hardly any snow.

That's very, very bad news for Hydro. The PUB was told last year that only two things were keeping Manitoba Hydro from insolvency. One was low interest rates (see above.) The other was high water levels which were bringing Hydro unexpected revenue. No snow, means no water, means no power to sell, means no bonus revenue.

But its worse. The last drought in Manitoba was 14 years ago. Weather cycles call for a drought roughly every 14 years. Uh oh.

Hey, you professional journalists: Start asking Hydro what they've done with the $1.5- to $2 billion they squeezed out of rate payers following the last drought to be the contingency for the next drought.

Have they already spent it to prop up their unsustainable NDP megaprojects? Is that why they're already saying they need even greater rate hikes in the event of an inevitable drought?

The world price for oil is climbing again, which is good news for Canada. The Canadian dollar is a petrocurrency, so every increase in oil prices boosts the value of the Canadian dollar. But Manitoba sells its hydropower in American dollars. So every rise in the value of Canadian money, means we earn less for our power from our American customers.

You may have read somewhere that the U.S. is about to become the world's biggest exporter of oil and natural gas. The reason is fracking. You know, fracking, the process that Manitoba Hydro "experts" dismissed ten years ago as a fad that wouldn't affect the prices Hydro was going to get from the Yankee buyers of our green energy.

Today, the price they pay for hydroelectric power is linked to the price of natural gas which, thanks to fracking, is near all-time lows.

So, reading the patient's chart:

* interest rates up, Hydro's costs way up
* precipitation extremely low, a drought more than likely, sales evaporate, revenue disappears
* the exchange rate rising, profit margin squeezing daily
* fracking boom, hydroelectric sales only at bargain basement prices

And that's without saying a word about rising costs.

On Monday, Manitoba Hydro finally confessed that the cost of the unnecessary Keeyask generating station could climb to $9.9 billion, although they still pretend to believe they can deliver the megaproject at a cost of more than $1 billion less. Ha ha ha. Injecting levity into a grave situation is not always a good thing.

A company hired by the PUB to review Hydro's runaway dam building projects predicts that at the rate construction is going the Keeyask station will be a year late and will cost $10.5 billion.

Here's how they arrived at that conclusion: they looked at the amount of work done already at Keeyask and compared it to the amount of work that should be completed on a project of this size at this stage of construction.

They determined that the contractor is way behind where he should be.

Unless he can somehow catch up, the project won't be finished for at least a year later than it is scheduled to be ready and costs will keep escalating. They estimate the final cost will be $4 billion more than Hydro's initial claim that the project would cost $6.2 billion (not $6.5 billion as the Winnipeg Free Press reported incorrectly).

http://www.pubmanitoba.ca/v1/nfat/pd..._estimates.pdf Page 23.

We reported Hydro's confession eight months ago that it doesn't have the money to pay for Bipole III, or for Keeyask, and they will need a billion dollars more in revenue within 5 years just to cover the annual borrowing costs of these megaprojects. That's a billion dollars every year more than they raise now.

And that was determined before the interest rate increases--past, present and future---and the pending drought and the escalating cost of construction.

The next sound you hear will be the squeal of flatlining as credit rating agencies pull the plug.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee..........

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:58 PM
surely you agree with me

^ I just hurt myself rolling my eyes too hard.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

good day to go snow shoeing

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:41 PM

Never cared much for his columns can’t say or miss it

The last word
After nearly four decades of fighting injustices and for the underdog, Free Press columnist pens his final column
By: Gordon Sinclair Jr. | Posted: 01/26/2018

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...471296914.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Never cared much for his columns can’t say or miss it

The last word
After nearly four decades of fighting injustices and for the underdog, Free Press columnist pens his final column
By: Gordon Sinclair Jr. | Posted: 01/26/2018

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...471296914.html
Sinclair usually barked up the wrong tree, his take on a lot of things was just wrong and misguided, Sinclair reallly came across as just being off.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:31 PM
arf

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I'm not sure about the "pretty great" part, but it's certainly a read...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:14 PM

Lol. It's hard for some to accept change. I know at least one or two others on here that would eat this up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I like change but only change for the better. This surely isn't. Hopefully this can all be changed back in two years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I stopped reading after the writer gave its version of diversity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan