HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I thought the lot was going to be 5 story residential? Wasn't that just announced a few months ago? Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have a 10 story hotel! Just never heard this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Can't find anything about owner/developer, so tempering expectations, but good to see proposals continue.

Second, 1102 N. 3rd St.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-112.069884

My bad...it was a 6-story hotel

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:43 PM

The Adams project about 24 stories???

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
The Adams project about 24 stories???
Yep! Going to be a good fit for that location.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:35 PM

New restaurant, the larry phx, coming soon to the phoenix warehouse district

Nice to see some restaurant/retail open up in the Warehouse District

http://dtphx.org/2018/06/01/new-rest...ouse-district/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:23 AM
Skyriser

I highly doubt the Adams project is going to go anywhere because of its inclusion of flex space but it's a fun thing to think about.

BTW, in my advancing age I had forgotten about the 3rd/Portland stuff. I really like that you guys help each other out tracking stuff down that was posted a long time ago. It makes my job *much* easier as it satisfies my own curiosities.

I'm proud of this place so y'all give yourselves a pat on the back for me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I highly doubt the Adams project is going to go anywhere because of its inclusion of flex space but it's a fun thing to think about.

BTW, in my advancing age I had forgotten about the 3rd/Portland stuff. I really like that you guys help each other out tracking stuff down that was posted a long time ago. It makes my job *much* easier as it satisfies my own curiosities.

The flex space is hardly any of this primarily hotel project. Being a hotel I had higher hopes of this actualky getting built, why would one suite of flex space threaten the whole project?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Hope you're include the "height-obsessed" as well !

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:13 PM

If they really want Hance Park to thrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Disappointed in myself that I didn't catch the Drake meme in the original renderings.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...-meme-10457905
This project needs something more than just water squirts it needs a dynamic massive water element that will draw people like flies. Think the new Singapore airport with that monster water thing coming from an elevated area or a massive fountain that moves so much water you get 15 degrees cooler just standing next to it. Maybe also things like a massive green house with plants from all over the world and shaded amphitheater area. Go hard or go home on this project.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
This project needs something more than just water squirts it needs a dynamic massive water element that will draw people like flies. Think the new Singapore airport with that monster water thing coming from an elevated area or a massive fountain that moves so much water you get 15 degrees cooler just standing next to it. Maybe also things like a massive green house with plants from all over the world and shaded amphitheater area. Go hard or go home on this project.
Or...they could throw the Pin in there somewhere with a new height of 650'. Yep, I went there.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Or...they could throw the Pin in there somewhere with a new height of 650'. Yep, I went there.
And have it all ready and open by Jan 2023!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 4:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
And have it all ready and open by Jan 2023!
I've always thought water jets blasting up between the Central Ave bridge would be really cool. But I'm sure the logistics of keeping the water off the LTR tracks and road would be a nightmare. At least they are putting palm trees there. So it will add something to the bridge. Still value designed though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Go hard or go home on this project.
Totally agree. I'd rather they wait for $100 + million to work with than settle for mediocrity.

I'm all for The Pin getting resurrected.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:25 PM

The new renderings for Hance Park still leaves me with something to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, I don't entirely dislike the project, it's a sorely needed redevelopment and there are elements which I am very pleased with. I like the elevation variations with the overhead pathway, I like the permanent band shell, and I really like the inclusion of cafes to reel in some of the street traffic. The park will be better for this (if it ever gets done, it's annoying how sluggish this project moves).

However, it's just meh. That's how I felt when I saw it at the unveiling a couple weeks ago; underwhelmed. But it's so perfect for Phoenix...because mediocrity and this city go hand in hand.

I'm a bit salty this morning reviewing the designs, in case you couldn't tell...I sound like a parent when I say, I just want what's best for Phx.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
The new renderings for Hance Park still leaves me with something to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, I don't entirely dislike the project, it's a sorely needed redevelopment and there are elements which I am very pleased with. I like the elevation variations with the overhead pathway, I like the permanent band shell, and I really like the inclusion of cafes to reel in some of the street traffic. The park will be better for this (if it ever gets done, it's annoying how sluggish this project moves).

However, it's just meh. That's how I felt when I saw it at the unveiling a couple weeks ago; underwhelmed. But it's so perfect for Phoenix...because mediocrity and this city go hand in hand.

I'm a bit salty this morning reviewing the designs, in case you couldn't tell...I sound like a parent when I say, I just want what's best for Phx.
There's nothing wrong with wanting more from these developments. I mean Phoenix is the number 5 city in the U.S. now and the metro is most likely in the Top 10 by 2020...and we are still growing at the number 2 fastest spot. It's not like Phoenix has too settle for mediocrity at this point anymore. Phoenix is so much more beyond that. City leaders and developers need to step it up a notch and start designing developments like a world class city. Not like a city that's struggles to attract residents and development.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting more from these developments. I mean Phoenix is the number 5 city in the U.S. now and the metro is most likely in the Top 10 by 2020...and we are still growing at the number 2 fastest spot. It's not like Phoenix has too settle for mediocrity at this point anymore. Phoenix is so much more beyond that. City leaders and developers need to step it up a notch and start designing developments like a world class city. Not like a city that's struggles to attract residents and development.
I just returned from a visit to Austin (my old stomping grounds) and I really felt like meh returning to Phoenix. It's amazing how much the city has grown and how much more foot traffic there is which makes me see how much Phoenix lacks in that department. Furthermore, it's not like it wasn't hot there. It felt very hot and humid, yet there were people everywhere. Austin's just a very quirky place that always feels like there is something happening. I wish Phoenix was more like that. It's times like this when I REALLY wish there were more historic bones to this city, as well as more of an effort to be unique.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:07 PM

Had a late start to work so took a jaunt up central

Central Park mall is already torn up all over the place, had t realized the progress they are making already, Link is starting to look tall, and Stewart is just looking massive from all over Roosevelt,

As for activity, as always continually the activity around downtown gets better even st 10 am on a Monday there were a lot of people running around. You can’t sit around lamenting that the city didn’t developing an older eastern city, it is what it is and the improvements in recent years are nothing short of astonishing if you have lived here for some time. Once some of these big new apartments are up the amount of downtown activity will be close to double what it was just a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Central Park mall is already torn up all over the place, had t realized the progress they are making already, Link is starting to look tall, and Stewart is just looking massive from all over Roosevelt,

As for activity, as always continually the activity around downtown gets better even st 10 am on a Monday there were a lot of people running around. You can’t sit around lamenting that the city didn’t developing an older eastern city, it is what it is and the improvements in recent years are nothing short of astonishing if you have lived here for some time. Once some of these big new apartments are up the amount of downtown activity will be close to double what it was just a couple of years ago.
Yeah, I understand that. I've seen tremendous growth here, it's just that it feels like we had to start from scratch and are always playing catch-up. In any case, when the city has an opportunity to create something unique, I hate to see us get the low end of the stick as a result (or whatever the hell the saying is) like I feel we're getting with Hance Park. JMO.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 11:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Yeah, I understand that. I've seen tremendous growth here, it's just that it feels like we had to start from scratch and are always playing catch-up. In any case, when the city has an opportunity to create something unique, I hate to see us get the low end of the stick as a result (or whatever the hell the saying is) like I feel we're getting with Hance Park. JMO.
Yes, please don't get me wrong. I've only lived here for 6 years and the Downtown core has made leaps and bounds compared to when I first moved here and I see that. I'm amazed at the growth on a daily basis. It's just that the city seems to want to make Hance it's version of Maggie Daley Park, but throws out a average plan with added trees, a café and some offset plaza levels. This may appeal to the local Downtown residents, but this isn't competing with some of the great urban parks of the US. The original plan was much more unique. It's also likely that Hance would not see another redevelopment effort for a good 30+ years. So why not just go all out and get it right? Something that will bring out of town tourists to Downtown for more than just a sports game or a bar? We're getting the residents and that's great. But Hance needs more than this. It just needs something unique that Phoenix can call it's own.

My hometown did this with the Five Rivers Fountain of Lights. It took a hell of a lot of effort, a ton of money, a lot of local criticism and a even a lawsuit. But the city fought for it and it turned out to be highly successful. It is one of the great fountains of the U.S. and has spurred immense redevelop in Downtown which is heavily developing largely around the fountains. It paid off.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:05 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I just returned from a visit to Austin (my old stomping grounds) and I really felt like meh returning to Phoenix. It's amazing how much the city has grown and how much more foot traffic there is which makes me see how much Phoenix lacks in that department. Furthermore, it's not like it wasn't hot there. It felt very hot and humid, yet there were people everywhere. Austin's just a very quirky place that always feels like there is something happening. I wish Phoenix was more like that. It's times like this when I REALLY wish there were more historic bones to this city, as well as more of an effort to be unique.
We were in Austin a couple of weekends ago, wanting to get a feel for the place before our son finishes his Ph.D and leaves. It was the first time that we had seen much of the place and we were amazed. It was pretty much hot and uncomfortable but the downtown area was bustling at night. Parking was problematic, restaurants and bars jumping. This is a metropolitan area half the size of ours with nothing in particular going on but bats coming out from under a bridge, with more people out than you would ever see in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We were in Austin a couple of weekends ago, wanting to get a feel for the place before our son finishes his Ph.D and leaves. It was the first time that we had seen much of the place and we were amazed. It was pretty much hot and uncomfortable but the downtown area was bustling at night. Parking was problematic, restaurants and bars jumping. This is a metropolitan area half the size of ours with nothing in particular going on but bats coming out from under a bridge, with more people out than you would ever see in downtown Phoenix.
Parking can be problematic. I visited because a nightclub I used to frequent in the late 80's/early 90's was having a 30 year reunion. It was AMAZING to see so many faces that I have not seen in years. In any case, I stayed at the JW downtown and purposely did not rent a car because I knew I didn't need one; however, some friends came in from Houston and needed to park and that was a pain in the ass. In any case, lots of people out and about. Many kayaking on Lady Bird Lake. Lots of cycling, motorized scooters, lots of foot traffic all over downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest