HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:59 PM
-

does anyone know especially whoever here lives at the cotton mill what hotel flag they were trying for at 1020 Annunciation project? I know they asked for an extension to their permit and received that since they are still working on financing but Id presume they have some sort of flag in mind for the project.

this building

the size and design and location would seem to fit a brand like Hotel Andaz or Thompson Hotel .. perhaps a Zaza

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:40 AM
NOLA Razorback

this building

I haven't heard anything since I bought my place last year but I'm also curious. I'll let y'all know if I get any neighborhood updates on it. I personally think it'd be a welcome addition to the neighborhood

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:54 AM

From my understanding it is not going through until August, that’s when the announcement will be made, but it must be a significant amount. It’s for the main building and the annex fronting freret.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:52 PM

Any one have info on the Virgin Hotel? Passed by the site this morning and zero activity.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
Any one have info on the Virgin Hotel? Passed by the site this morning and zero activity.
They just received their bza approvals for new design a few weeks ago. Id presume a late summer start at earliest in this case becuse of that . Cant really get financing until approvals in place... reread their npp report and it says groundbreaking in 4th quarter 2018

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Also forgot that this new hotel brand is coming to nola as well. Its second concept from the Ace Hotel Group called American Trade... theres only one location open right now and thats in Panama City, Panama.

will be in this building...

https://www.americantradehotel.com/
We're in for a real treat if it is anything like the hotel in Panama. First class.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:52 PM

1423 N. Claiborne Ave.

This is a great restoration story. The before and after pictures are pretty amazing.

https://www.nola.com/homegarden/inde..._center_d.html

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:50 PM

State Palace Theater

I don't agree with the HDLC very often but I think they got it right here. Hopefully the developers can come up with an economically feasible plan that saves the facade and theater.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...usly-rejected/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlrush1 View Post
I don't agree with the HDLC very often but I think they got it right here. Hopefully the developers can come up with an economically feasible plan that saves the facade and theater.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...usly-rejected/
It seems to me that the owners only bought it to build a hotel. I think if they had their way, they'd knock the whole thing down. The best outcome would be for a coalition of agencies, DDD, NOBC, etc. to get together and buy and restore it as was done with the Saenger.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:07 PM
-

I want to see the project redeveloped and I think if they want to build a hotel there are many other areas around the cbd to do that... to lose this theatre would be a loss.. my main complaint is the hdlc should have been on the ball and landmarked the whole thing both interiors and exteriors.. should have been done a long time ago. .. now if there is a way to build tower on top of the theatre then i wouldnt care but i dont think thats really feasible here... i wish we knew what the original program was for the buildings redevelopment before whatever it was pulled out

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinnola View Post
We're in for a real treat if it is anything like the hotel in Panama. First class.
plans looked great... so im sure it will ..ace hotel usually delivers

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I want to see the project redeveloped and I think if they want to build a hotel there are many other areas around the cbd to do that... to lose this theatre would be a loss.. my main complaint is the hdlc should have been on the ball and landmarked the whole thing both interiors and exteriors.. should have been done a long time ago. .. now if there is a way to build tower on top of the theatre then i wouldnt care but i dont think thats really feasible here... i wish we knew what the original program was for the buildings redevelopment before whatever it was pulled out
There are lots of possibilities. The building is a lot larger than just the theater component. There is a good amount of commercial space on Canal and Rampart 1st floor which would be ideal for something such as an interactive museum or exhibition. The theater itself could be renovated without significant alterations to serve several purposes such as a upscale restaurant with accommodations for dinner theater or comedy club. The second floor above the retail has a configuration that would be well suited for a small boutique hotel, with the addition of a third floor. NDA remains in effect.....

The current owners truly would be happy if it burned to the ground. They have no interest in preservation and would be extremely pleased to build a hotel of the cheapest means possible on the site maximizing it to the fullest extent for the highest number of keys.

Last edited by LSU_Forte; Jun 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It seems to me that the owners only bought it to build a hotel. I think if they had their way, they'd knock the whole thing down. The best outcome would be for a coalition of agencies, DDD, NOBC, etc. to get together and buy and restore it as was done with the Saenger.
DDD wants something done and is not willing to wait. They would prefer the building torn down and be a vacant lot if it can be done quicker. Erroneously they believe that this is the biggest problem on Canal Street. Granted it is a problem, the absolute lack of maintenance or upkeep of any kind by the current and former owner is not the building's fault. Fine and penalize the owners for failing to maintain it and letting it sit there unused and blighted. Similarly the legions of ne'er-do-wells are drawn to the multiple bus stops there and across the street, not the building itself. They will still be there whether there is a empty lot, a blighted building or a cheap hotel.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:57 PM
-

Again i dont know why hdlc didnt landmark the interiors ... really dumb

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:02 PM
-

[QUOTE=LSU_Forte;8221601]DDD wants something done and is not willing to wait. They would prefer the building torn down and be a vacant lot if it can be done quicker. Erroneously they believe that this is the biggest problem on Canal Street. Granted it is a problem, the absolute lack of maintenance or upkeep of any kind by the current and former owner is not the building's fault. Fine and penalize the owners for failing to maintain it and letting it sit there unused and blighted. Similarly the legions of ne'er-do-wells are drawn to the multiple bus stops there and across the street, not the building itself. They will still be there whether there is a empty lot, a blighted building or a cheap

Im going to try and get on that board ( DDD) .. place needs serious help ! Yes the state palace is an eyesore but everything will be until you get rid of the bus stops ... solving issues on canal is easy if people realize the actual problems.. downtown has two issues : homelessness ( which at least is corralled under the interstate) and 2 the mass transit stops that force people to congregate all day in front of many commercial establishments.... id argue a centealized transit center would alter downtown more than anything else ... no one will lease spaces by people who loiter all day for a bus or streetcar...simply wont happen

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:37 PM

Im going to try and get on that board ( DDD) .. place needs serious help ! Yes the state palace is an eyesore but everything will be until you get rid of the bus stops ... solving issues on canal is easy if people realize the actual problems.. downtown has two issues : homelessness ( which at least is corralled under the interstate) and 2 the mass transit stops that force people to congregate all day in front of many commercial establishments.... id argue a centealized transit center would alter downtown more than anything else ... no one will lease spaces by people who loiter all day for a bus or streetcar...simply wont happen[/QUOTE]

It would be great to have someone with development experience who cares about the fabric of the CBD to be on the board. Do it!

Regarding transit, an easier alternative would be to extend some lines past Canal St. For example, extend the St. Claude/Rampart bus to Poydras or the train station. A lot of the Westbank routes stop at Canal. I'm sure a lot of those people are working in the quarter, so extending them a few blocks down Rampart or Basin would mean that not everyone would have to walk to Canal to board. It would also eliminate some transfers, which is good for commuters and would decongest the area. It would be a cheap solution that would please everyone, but NORTA wants to beef up the streetcar numbers as much as possible.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Im going to try and get on that board ( DDD) .. place needs serious help ! Yes the state palace is an eyesore but everything will be until you get rid of the bus stops ... solving issues on canal is easy if people realize the actual problems.. downtown has two issues : homelessness ( which at least is corralled under the interstate) and 2 the mass transit stops that force people to congregate all day in front of many commercial establishments.... id argue a centealized transit center would alter downtown more than anything else ... no one will lease spaces by people who loiter all day for a bus or streetcar...simply wont happen
It would be great to have someone with development experience who cares about the fabric of the CBD to be on the board. Do it!

Regarding transit, an easier alternative would be to extend some lines past Canal St. For example, extend the St. Claude/Rampart bus to Poydras or the train station. A lot of the Westbank routes stop at Canal. I'm sure a lot of those people are working in the quarter, so extending them a few blocks down Rampart or Basin would mean that not everyone would have to walk to Canal to board. It would also eliminate some transfers, which is good for commuters and would decongest the area. It would be a cheap solution that would please everyone, but NORTA wants to beef up the streetcar numbers as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

Thats a solution for Canal but i want to solve the the issue overall. It just pushes the problem onto someone else ... a centralized transit center is a must .. better for everyone especially the riders

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:

Thats a solution for Canal but i want to solve the the issue overall. It just pushes the problem onto someone else ... a centralized transit center is a must .. better for everyone especially the riders
I'll have to disagree with this. Most riders want a more frequent one-seat ride that doesn't end arbitrarily at Canal Street. Having a centralized hub means that buses will have to stop for longer and more trips will likely require a transfer. Given how infrequent most of the lines are especially in the evening you could very well end up with more people congregating wherever a transit center ends up. If you instead invest in more frequent service with lines that more directly serve the job centers, you can eliminate a lot of the waiting. I do think that transit centers would make sense in the East and Algiers where you can then have neighborhood lines that connect to express service.

Houston has had a lot of success with its redesign that decentralized service. We have a lot of overlapping routes that cover the same area. With a similar redesign, you can run a more efficient, frequent system that doesn't require everyone to go through one area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 9:03 PM
-

2424 Tulane

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 9:09 PM
-

Duncan Plaza

331 Loyola Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: D0CQHP
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
David Merlin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/14/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Install furniture and hang lights in existing trees as per drawings. (Duncan Plaza Park Renovation)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations