HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapernerd View Post
they have all the cement track laid out for trax. Its really lookin good./
Yep, the same is for the 4800 West and Old Bingham trax stop. I have to take the long way to get out of my neighborhood because they've got the main road I take closed so they can put a new grade in.

I would really love to supply everyone with photos of the mid-jordan trax progression along Old Bingham Highway, but the only camera I have is a Mamiya/Sekor DTL 1000 35mm film camera, and by the time I take the photos and develop them, it's going to look different (plus it's getting new foam lining currently).

I am, however getting a Nikon D60 in Januray so once I get that camera I'll likely give you guys regular photo updates.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 8:27 PM

Tap on/off system to start January 1st

The Daily Utah Chronicle
Isabella Bravo

UTA will ring in the new year by tracking commuters with the recently installed tap pads on buses and at TRAX and FrontRunner stations.

The “tap on, tap off” devices will activate on Jan. 1 and start tracking Utah Transit Authority cardholders’ commutes. This new system will allow UTA to evaluate where students are riding and for how long so they can make routes and services more efficient. Students who don’t use the electronic fare collection system correctly will risk fines and deactivated transit passes.

“We really want people to tap on and off, so we can track students’ commutes,” she said. “This allows UTA to better evaluate routes and improve service.”

With each tap of an Ed-Pass, the scanner sends the route information to UTA and to the U.

“It also allows UTA to provide valuable reports on travel patterns to the university that can be used to plan for the future,” Bohnsack-Ware said.

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/ne...rt_january_1st

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:47 AM
Exit 298

Creepy. Why should UTA be allowed to track my habits? And send the data to the U? That's the creepiest part of all. Of course, I'm a cougar (BYU), so maybe that's why.

I mean, I can see it from a transit planning point of view, but what's this about a pass being "deactivated" if it's misused?

How does one misuse a transit pass? Use it too much? Non-academic riding? Since when is that UTA's call to make?

Once again, I'm happy to be a motorist. If that fails, a bicyclist. True freedom rides on two wheels!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:21 PM

Study for Legacy Highway extension ongoing

LAYTON » Work on the North Legacy Project hasn't completely stalled.

The Associated Press

Even though the Utah Department of Transportation has put $3.9 billion worth of road projects on hold statewide, a study looking at possible routes for the highway project in Weber County is ongoing.

Wasatch Front Regional Council Deputy Director Doug Hattery says the study will look at alternative routes for the highway and recommend one corridor to be preserved for eventual construction.

North Legacy is a planned extension of the 14-mile Legacy Highway, which is an alternative to Interstate 15. North Legacy would run north-south through the western side of Weber and North Davis counties.

Construction is still at least 10 years away. The study should be done within the next year.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11236749

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 8:00 PM
cities|transit|croissants

>True freedom rides on two wheels!

You're funny.

1. Tell that to people who can't drive and therefore can't get around. Those folks are slaves in a world built for driving.

2. Tracking systems exist for cars too. Here's one. Here's another. And of course, even if you don't use those, the police will stop you if you don't have one of these.

3. RFID transit passes have a lot of advantages over regular fare collection. They make transfer between agencies and modes totally seamless, they are a refundable (and therefore safe) way to store money, and the information they track helps transit agencies provide more efficient service.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 2:14 AM
Exit 298

Since when does two-wheels mean driving?

You are right that our urban design is quite poor, but there is no "digital" collection of when my comings and goings are, and I'll never allow anyone to put one in my car.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Since when does two-wheels mean driving?

You are right that our urban design is quite poor, but there is no "digital" collection of when my comings and goings are, and I'll never allow anyone to put one in my car.
I think he was referring to his bicycle.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:42 PM
New Coloradan

Exclamation Thanks UTA for not increasing your fares, your fares are higher than NYC!

Yes, UTA said they would not increase their fares from the current base, one way fare of $2.25, and said they may look at lowering the fuel surcharge this spring.

http://www.rideuta.com/mediaRoom/pre...sReleaseID=877

Now, doing a quick survery of other, much larger, and thus more costly cities in the U.S., it appears that taking that TRAX will cost you more than a subway ride in New York City, what's up with that??

Sample one way, local base fares:

N.Y. 2.00
L.A. 1.25
Denver 1.75 (goes to 2.00 on Jan. 1)
Chicago 1.75 (goes to 2.00 on Jan. 1)
Dallas 1.50
D.C. 1.25 Metro bus 1.35+ metro rail
Note: DC gives a bus discount of .10 while using the plastic reuseable fare card (why UTA hasn't done this yet, is beyond me). This could be something that can be used on the new system.

Ok, so how long before UTA has to increase their fares again, not due to high diesel, but due to a lack of ridership? Also, UTA is driving people back to their cars in droves. If you can drive cheaper and get there quicker than UTA, why wouldn't you?

Now that winter is here, people will be getting back into their cars and our winter air quality will soon diminish. Why can't UTA have some policy about free rides on Yellow and Red air quality days? At least make it half price or something.

I don't think UTA's policies take into account the average worker/citizen, nor the environment. It's just all about UTA, and they will soon be crying for more money!!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Yes, UTA said they would not increase their fares from the current base, one way fare of $2.25, and said they may look at lowering the fuel surcharge this spring.

Now, doing a quick survery of other, much larger, and thus more costly cities in the U.S., it appears that taking that TRAX will cost you more than a subway ride in New York City, what's up with that??

N.Y. 2.00
L.A. 1.25
Dallas 1.50
Note: DC gives a bus discount of .10 while using the plastic reuseable fare card (why UTA hasn't done this yet, is beyond me). This could be something that can be used on the new system.

Ok, so how long before UTA has to increase their fares again, not due to high diesel, but due to a lack of ridership? Also, UTA is driving people back to their cars in droves. If you can drive cheaper and get there quicker than UTA, why wouldn't you?

Now that winter is here, people will be getting back into their cars and our winter air quality will soon diminish. Why can't UTA have some policy about free rides on Yellow and Red air quality days? At least make it half price or something.

I don't think UTA's policies take into account the average worker/citizen, nor the environment. It's just all about UTA, and they will soon be crying for more money!!!
For D.C. the example doesn't work--the fare for DC changes based on how many stations away your stop is--one stop is $1.35 but go a few stops and the price increases, also it changes depending on rush hour vs. non.

Also, the other large cities are able to charge less because they have a more expansive system and thus service a lot more people and have a lot higher ridership.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:58 PM
New Coloradan

Right, that's why I said 1.35+ for metro rail.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 5:33 PM

Quote:

I'm a pretty big transit booster, but even I have had a hard time making myself take UTA to work lately. With gas near my house hovering around $1.30 a gallon, its much faster and easier to drive, and not very expensive. (and UTA is free for me)
It seems that the long-term trend is toward higher energy prices, and this will make transit a more attractive option again, but in the short run, UTA has to be seeing ridership decrease significantly.

Does anybody know how/where to find actual systemwide daily ridership data from UTA?? It seems almost impossible to find.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 8:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Does anybody know how/where to find actual systemwide daily ridership data from UTA?? It seems almost impossible to find.
Here is a report for third quarter TRAX ridership.

http://www.apta.com/research/stats/r...nts/08q3lr.pdf

Found at:

http://www.apta.com/research/stats/ridership/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post
Thanks, lots of good info. there, especially in the second link, which has a link to systemwide agency totals.

For the 3rd quarter of 2008, UTA had 151,000 daily riders, and systemwide ridership was up 12.4% from the previous year.

What was most surprising to me was that there are nearly as many vanpool riders as FrontRunner passengers.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 11:33 PM
New Coloradan

Well, I'd bet the fourth quarter ridership will me quite a bit lower, that's mostly when the gas prices went free-falling. But thanks for the info!!!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 6:29 PM

So, I'm a bit confused on the whole thing about abusing one's UTA pass. I have an Ed-pass. Does this tap-on, tap-off thing mean that I can only use my pass for going to and from school? I can't use it to just go down town on the weekend? I don't understand how someone can 'mis use' this pass, unless the pass can only be used to go to and from school.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
cities|transit|croissants

>True freedom rides on two wheels!

>Since when does two-wheels mean driving?

Sorry. I totally misread that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:23 AM
Exit 298

No worries.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:28 PM

UTA TRAX Operator Told To Stop Singing On The Train

This story is a few weeks old, but I was on one of this guy's trains and it was very bizzare and unprofessional. Nobody on the train could figure out what the heck was going on or why there was a man singing over the PA. It makes much more sense now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 8:23 PM
Exit 298

From the headline I imagined a driver whistling or singing softly as he helped disabled passengers on, and thought: What's the big deal?

But now I'm laughing so hard! That's hilarious!

BTW ... props to UTA's public relations person. Carrie Bohnsack-Ware. I've interviewed her a few times and she's really sharp. Mentioning distractions, annoyances, and safety is a really good response. If any of you are ever part of a company's decision of who to hire a P.R. person, make sure you pick a good one. There are a few that I DREAD calling because they seem so bothered that a reporter is calling them. UTA and UDOT have always been great to call. And that's good because if they keep the media happy, they are more likely to keep those tax dollars rolling into their projects.

But I digress. The video is hilarious. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 8:23 PM

Interesting...and way temporary pricing...

Quote:

N.Y. 2.00
L.A. 1.25
Dallas 1.50

NYC one way fairs are going up to $3.00 each way. It pays to buy a metro card because it really saves money.

The only saving grace on the bus and subway lines here is that you can travel as far as you need for the same price. I lived in London for a year and I get back a few times a year. You are charged by distance and it can become quite pricey.

What is the fair for Trax now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West