HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
I had a chocolate shake and it set me back $16.
SIXTEEN DOLLARS for a milkshake? You could make one with Haagan-Daaz and it would be cheaper than that.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Overcome by nostalgia, I recently decided to go back to Blondie's to try the food there as I had not been there for some time.

I was struck by three things.

1. The food was good, but not as good as I remembered it. They used to have awesome onion rings. Onion rings are no longer on the menu. The meat didn't seem seasoned quite like it used to be.

2 The place was pretty empty. I was there on a Friday during lunch hour. There was a total of 6 customers.

3. The prices are shockingly high. I had the 1/2 pound burger. It was $18. You want fries? Extra $5 for a single order. A one pound burger is $40. The 1/8 pound burger is $8. Single hot dog $14, double $18. The vaunted 9 pound burger is now $155. The milkshakes range in price depending on flavour. The stated reason is that there is additional cost to them of the fruit or flavouring that needs to be added. Most expensive is a strawberry shake at $20. I had a chocolate shake and it set me back $16.
Never understood the allure of the place or why anyone would frequent a restaurant with a witch running it. Went once 20 years ago a the witch told my girlfriend at the time and myself that we couldn't share a plate of fries!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 10:49 PM

went 10 years ago and never returned after watching her pour her cold coffee back into the coffee pot

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanretail View Post
went 10 years ago and never returned after watching her pour her cold coffee back into the coffee pot
She uses a Keurig now. LOL

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Warren Buffet is the greatest investor of all time. He knows how to make money. Clearly the fast food business, along with railways, is the key.
Yeah but he also uses schemes to avoid paying taxes on all these purchases.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:37 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Yeah but he also uses schemes to avoid paying taxes on all these purchases.
That is what smart businessmen do.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That is what smart businessmen do.
I don't care how much people admire his business talents. He's a job destroyer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 12:57 AM

Man, some of you guys sure LOVE taxes for other people.

Stop acting like paying taxes is a noble civilian deed. These days it's highway robbery.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:29 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Stop acting like paying taxes is a noble civilian deed. These days it's highway robbery.
In the words of a great man, taxes bring us civilization. Highway robbery - not so much.

What's changed is people's perception of reality. They take their current circumstances from granted. It doesn't make them right.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:58 AM
BANNED

If there are loopholes, why not benefit from them?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:08 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
If there are loopholes, why not benefit from them?
No argument there (there shouldn't be loopholes that big though).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:41 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Overcome by nostalgia, I recently decided to go back to Blondie's to try the food there as I had not been there for some time.

I was struck by three things.

1. The food was good, but not as good as I remembered it. They used to have awesome onion rings. Onion rings are no longer on the menu. The meat didn't seem seasoned quite like it used to be.

2 The place was pretty empty. I was there on a Friday during lunch hour. There was a total of 6 customers.

3. The prices are shockingly high. I had the 1/2 pound burger. It was $18. You want fries? Extra $5 for a single order. A one pound burger is $40. The 1/8 pound burger is $8. Single hot dog $14, double $18. The vaunted 9 pound burger is now $155. The milkshakes range in price depending on flavour. The stated reason is that there is additional cost to them of the fruit or flavouring that needs to be added. Most expensive is a strawberry shake at $20. I had a chocolate shake and it set me back $16.
Either she's in BIG DEBT and needs to pay it off...OR she's really really GREEDY and don't care how much she charges.

I won't be going there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:45 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Warren Buffet is the greatest investor of all time. He knows how to make money. Clearly the fast food business, along with railways, is the key.
A few years ago, your hero, Mr. Buffett bought up Heinz Co. closed the Canadian Heinz Ketchup factory in Leamington, Ont., put 740 people out of work and these jobs migrated elsewhere to the U.S. or Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...work-1.2426608

That's why when you visit a Sals now, the Ketchup they use is French's.

You call that being a "great(est) investor"?

Buffet is also part of the "global elite", like Mr. Gates, Obama, George Soros, the Clintons, etc...They believe in "Progressive" politics, aka the march towards Communism, eliminating free speech, open borders, etc...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:24 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^ The plant reopened shortly afterward with a different operator.

It is the responsibility of every individual to minimize their tax obligation by any means available.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

New Chicken Chef is opening March 1st at 2539 Main Street.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:11 PM

My hero (not really), Warren Buffet, is just like every other 'elite'. If you were an elite, you'd be doing the exact same thing. They're rich because they know the system. So far, Buffet is not a crook. He's a savy investor and business owner.

Look at Trump. Huge crook and he's President. How the hell does that work? An actual crook, with far reaching crooked schemes, long lived ties with the Russians, is President of the USA.

I don't make the rules. Just relaying the message here.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
^ The plant reopened shortly afterward with a different operator.

It is the responsibility of every individual to minimize their tax obligation by any means available.
Still a loss of 500 jobs never mind the hundreds of migrants workers every year.
Quote:
Known as the tomato capital of Canada, Leamington became the home of the H. J. Heinz factory in 1908. The Heinz products are shipped from Leamington, with English and French labels, mostly to the United States. Ketchup and baby food are the main products. In November 2013 Heinz announced that it would close the Leamington plant in 2014, meaning job losses for 740 employees at the plant and hundreds more support workers.[12] Due to a 54-year-old law in Canada, which bans the use of tomato paste in tomato juice, Highbury Canco still produces tomato juice and other products for Heinz. Around 250 workers still process canned products at the over 100 year old factory.[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leamington,_Ontario

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Factories come and go, always was and always will be that way. Markets will be found for the tomatoes grown there. I seriously thought about relocating to Leamington, great climate there but a little too far from the city.

Ontario is having a particularly hard time because of the Liberal government's bungling of hydro.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Factories come and go, always was and always will be that way. Markets will be found for the tomatoes grown there. I seriously thought about relocating to Leamington, great climate there but a little too far from the city.

Ontario is having a particularly hard time because of the Liberal government's bungling of hydro.
That mess was started by Mike Harris' government back in the 90's.
Quote:
One part of the Common Sense Revolution was to sell off various government-owned enterprises, the largest of which were to be Ontario Hydro and the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Neither was actually sold off, but Ontario Hydro was split into five successor companies (the two largest being Ontario Power Generation and Hydro One, representing generation and distribution of power respectively) with the plan of eventually selling them off. Public opposition to the sale of these money-making government enterprises postponed the government's plans. In 1999, Highway 407 was leased to a private consortium in the largest such scheme to privatize a public asset in Canadian history.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Harris

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

No. It was because of the Green Energy Act rolled out by the McGuinty Liberals. The changes made to Hydro by Harris had no bearing on Hydro costs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan