HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 12:47 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Came across this pic posted on SSC that shows the impact The Mill & Spoke buildings are having on this stretch of Milwaukee:
Man, that CVS and US Bank triangle block really needs something exciting on it now, to balance things out. A good design plus maybe an informal, small plaza there could really make that junction of streets one of the coolest in the City.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:11 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Maybe I’ve been spoiled with 500-1,000 ft towers but wtf is this ?
A project that might be profitable for the developer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Man, that CVS and US Bank triangle block really needs something exciting on it now, to balance things out. A good design plus maybe an informal, small plaza there could really make that junction of streets one of the coolest in the City.
I think the plaza should go where the Erie-LaSalle lot is, at Huron Milwaukee and Carpenter. The little triangle lot could become a neighborhood square - hardscaping, fountain, planters, trees. Would give that area between the expressway a small breathing and gathering space. Given that Huron and Carpenter more or less dead end, they close them for neighborhood parties.

CVS and US Bank come down and a larger building goes there!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

50 E Randolph

Will any part of this building be able to see the park or does The Heritage pretty much block all but the NW corner? If the park is visible it seems a bit bizarre to not take advantage of that with a taller building. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don't see the appeal of this design - seems clumsy and uninspired.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:05 PM

New Tower Coming to Ashland and Taylor Street

Real Deal Chicago Reporting Permit applied for foundation work on 19 story tower at Taylor and Ashland. Also in that area the huge 12 story rush hospital expansion should be starting soon as the lot is vacant and has been stripped bare.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...ical-district/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:28 PM
The City

^ Ahhh a sneaker. Gotta love those.

Also a very rare private high rise start for the South or West side outside of Hyde Park. I'd call this a banana worthy moment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Will any part of this building be able to see the park or does The Heritage pretty much block all but the NW corner? If the park is visible it seems a bit bizarre to not take advantage of that with a taller building. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don't see the appeal of this design - seems clumsy and uninspired.
I was thinking about that too. At least the east facing wall will be very visible from the park and even the postcard view from Adler.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:12 PM

When I looked this up on a map I found it near the Pink Like. And with the boom along Lake St and Milwaukee, it just makes me think how cool it would be if high rises continued to follow the spine of the 'L'. Chicago's skyline is so sewn to the Lake and its parks. Which is a logical reason. But how cool would it be if it started to deviate from that mold and grew limbs out along the 'L'. Similar to that of Younge Street in Toronto and the subway that runs below it.

IMG_6685 by Andrew W, on Flickr

And while not transit related another limb other than the Lake will be the North and South Branch of the river which we will likely see with the 78 and Lincoln Yards developments.

IMG_6686 by Andrew W, on Flickr

And I know unfortunately NIMBYs are the reason this doesn't happen. But can't a guy DREAM. Maybe 2050 Chicago will look like that...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 1:17 AM

Lots of interesting updates in the last couple days, especially for the dead of winter!

Awesome visualization there AMW. I agree that it would be nice to get a few urban corridors like that, and it does feel like we've made good progress on a couple of those this cycle

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know the name (EDIT: 50 E. Randolph), but it's oriented on the northeast corner of Wabash and Randolph. Assuming it covers/replaces both the corner parking garage and the surface lot mid-block, there have been various proposals there over the years and I haven't heard anything fresh recently but maybe they'll finally make a run at it. It would do a lot to finally make that corner of the Loop feel cohesive again since it partially replaces a surface lot.
This new proposal is only for the parking garage. The empty lot will be a 7-story expansion of MDA City Apartments.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Real Deal Chicago Reporting Permit applied for foundation work on 19 story tower at Taylor and Ashland. Also in that area the huge 12 story rush hospital expansion should be starting soon as the lot is vacant and has been stripped bare.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...ical-district/
This is a bKL project...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:17 PM

Spine

Milwaukee Ave / OHare Blue Line is already developing into a high rise spine, though it’s had a city-pushed high rise development plan since the early 2000s. The local NIMBYs never like to be reminded of that.

Also the north branch of the river will develop into a spine over the coming decades.

However with the bus route TOD plan these areas will only look like spines for so long as the density spreads away from the rail lines.

Green Line south is such a huge opportunity but there is just no demand today. Even if the land is free.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

^ I doubt the bus route TOD will be anything like the highrises at Blue Line stops. Probably more midrises like the one to rise at Western/The 606, with more flexibility to depart from the usual B/C zoning in terms of setbacks and parking. There's a strict limit in the building (not zoning) code that requires a bunch of expensive highrise building systems after 80', so I think that will be the natural cutoff for bus corridor development. Plus you can do a lot to increase density in the 3-4 story range just by getting rid of the rear setback and the ban on ground-floor residential.

The lakefront bus TOD corridor will probably be an exception and will promote highrise development, but we've already got highrises along the lake.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 4:20 PM

Lincoln Commons

Dec 9

Dec 24

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Dec 9
Nice shots, Harry. I have not been up there for awhile. Another piece of this development, The Orchard Condominium at 2350 N Orchard (where the Taylor dump truck and box truck are in this photo), is supposed to begin in February or March. I believe that building may be the last piece of the development, but am not certain.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This new proposal is only for the parking garage. The empty lot will be a 7-story expansion of MDA City Apartments.
Yeah, I was going to comment on this yesterday but I couldn't find the link to this project. There is no way they'd be able to build on that parking lot and the parking garage because of that service alleyway(well they could but it would have been expensive and odd to look at). Thanks for finding the link!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ I doubt the bus route TOD will be anything like the highrises at Blue Line stops. Probably more midrises like the one to rise at Western/The 606, with more flexibility to depart from the usual B/C zoning in terms of setbacks and parking. There's a strict limit in the building (not zoning) code that requires a bunch of expensive highrise building systems after 80', so I think that will be the natural cutoff for bus corridor development. Plus you can do a lot to increase density in the 3-4 story range just by getting rid of the rear setback and the ban on ground-floor residential.
I feel like the bus TOD will primarily boost highrise construction on the Ashland Ave and Chicago Ave routes which have DX zoning.

I'd honestly be happy with 60'-80' midrises if we can get them in the couple of dozens. The new bus TOD also applies to RM-5/6, so we might finally see more midrise development on the side streets. There will still be push back from NIMBYs until aldermanic prerogative can be killed

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
When I looked this up on a map I found it near the Pink Like. And with the boom along Lake St and Milwaukee, it just makes me think how cool it would be if high rises continued to follow the spine of the 'L'. Chicago's skyline is so sewn to the Lake and its parks. Which is a logical reason. But how cool would it be if it started to deviate from that mold and grew limbs out along the 'L'. Similar to that of Younge Street in Toronto and the subway that runs below it.

IMG_6685 by Andrew W, on Flickr

And while not transit related another limb other than the Lake will be the North and South Branch of the river which we will likely see with the 78 and Lincoln Yards developments.

IMG_6686 by Andrew W, on Flickr

And I know unfortunately NIMBYs are the reason this doesn't happen. But can't a guy DREAM. Maybe 2050 Chicago will look like that...
The Blue Line corridor under Milwaukee, and certainly the Brown Line, have too much historic building stock to be replaced en masse with highrises. Toronto never had that. It’s the Green Line along Lake that could add serious density all the way to Garfield Park. Plenty of parking lots and vacant land to be build up. That would be cool.

Chicago will have a sort of cruciform skyline rather than linear. And that will create four unique panoramas when you think about it, as well as maximising views from and of individual buildings.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The Blue Line corridor under Milwaukee, and certainly the Brown Line, have too much historic building stock to be replaced en masse with highrises. Toronto never had that. It’s the Green Line along Lake that could add serious density all the way to Garfield Park. Plenty of parking lots and vacant land to be build up. That would be cool.
Yes, though in West Loop, the green line has added some pretty serious building density of late. There's now a sort of canyon in an area or two along the Green Line in West Loop. Things are creeping west in the West Loop towards Ashland with some projects already started or set to start around there.

There's the new Green Line stop at Damen coming - and actually there was a good amount of housing built nearby there around 2010 (https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-87.6767279) and actually there's a low rise housing project over there which underwent a big multi million dollar renovation lately (or maybe it's still going on). It's be interesting to see what happens.

Interestingly, there was an article in the Tribune from December 20 talking about the housing price increases in East Garfield Park, Austin, South Lawndale, etc and gentrification fears:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...219-story.html

Quote:
Austin, South Lawndale, and East Garfield Park are among the moderately priced neighborhoods that saw prices of one-to-four-unit buildings rise significantly between 2012 and 2017, increasing more than 21.6 percent, according to a new analysis prepared by the institute. Moderately priced buildings are those that sold for between $96,738 and $285,200.

Other, lower-cost neighborhoods, such as West Garfield Park, Central Park and Greater Grand Crossing, also saw significant rises in home prices during the five years analyzed. Those neighborhoods are considered emerging areas where prices are predicted to climb higher because they are near public transit, have large projects underway or are attracting more speculative investment.

Of the 270 census tracts in the city with moderately priced homes, 57 of them saw housing prices climb more than 26.1 percent in the period studied. Another 151 saw housing prices climb 9.5 to 21.6 percent.

Moises Pacheco is trying to carve out such a path.

He recently made a profit of about $50,000 flipping a bungalow in East Garfield Park that he purchased, rehabbed and sold for $335,000.
Pacheco, 35, has lived in the neighborhood since 2005 with his family, after they were displaced from Humboldt Park when it became too expensive.

Now, he said, he’s dedicated to turning around houses in East Garfield Park and bringing in young people to live in the rehabbed homes. The area is ripe for redevelopment, given its sturdy housing stock and close proximity to downtown, with easy access to the CTA’s Green and Blue lines and Interstate 290.

“You still have shootings happening pretty regularly,” Pacheco said. “But it’s starting to shift now because you have a lot of new people. The thought process is that in a couple years, the crime won’t be here.”

Indeed, crime is down 20 percent in East Garfield Park since 2013. Still, nearly 5,000 crimes of all types have been committed in East Garfield Park since Dec.1, 2017, according to city of Chicago crime data.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Green Line south is such a huge opportunity but there is just no demand today. Even if the land is free.
The new Cermak stop is a good start. It's developing well there. Trust me, I go to IIT and when I take the 'L' to the Loop I notice the potential between Roosevelt and 35th. Can't wait to see what it all looks like in 30 years...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations