HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Most connected to Asia?
San Francisco and the Bay area 17 17.17%
Los Angeles 23 23.23%
NYC 2 2.02%
Seattle 3 3.03%
Vancouver (BC) 26 26.26%
Toronto 5 5.05%
Sydney 5 5.05%
Melbourne 0 0%
Honolulu, Hawaii 12 12.12%
Other 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
regarding your comment of business signs, services for Asians, etc., being more integrated in SF than in LA, I beg to differ. You go into Hayes Valley, Cow Hollow, Dogpatch, Noe Valley, the Castro... you don't see signs that are only in Chinese for businesses that cater especially to Chinese people.
The Asian population of SF is heavily concentrated in Chinatown, the Tenderloin, the Richmond District and the Sunset District. The Tenderloin tends to be mainly South and Southeast Asians who are mostly poor. The middle class Richmond and Sunset Districts are where you find the wealthier Asians--small businessmen, professionals and so on--but in all these areas there are numerous establishments with signage in Asian languages (many but not all Chinese) and a majority of Asian customers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:49 AM

Asian people are well-represented throughout much of SF: the excelsior, portola, bayview, oceanview, ingleside, sunnyside, mission terrace, crocker amazon, silver terrace, cayuga terrace, westwood park, merced manor, miraloma park, diamond heights, visitacion valley, park merced, the sunset, the richmond, Chinatown, north beach, the tenderloin, fillmore, nob hill, russian hill, SOMA, and Mission Bay. SF is Asian as hell lol

https://archives.sfweekly.com/thesni...n-southeast-sf

Last edited by tech12; Feb 13, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
after a five year hiatus, newark to singapore is coming back this year.

its the longest regular flight in the world.

in the interim, dallas to sydney has been the longest.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...es-nonstop-us/
I did that Newark-Changi round trip twice. It was pretty disorienting to take off late Saturday night and arrive first thing Monday.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:31 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

the bay around (7.2 million people) lost 200,000 white people between the 2000 and 2010 census. I assume they all went to Seattle, Portland, Bend, Denver etc.

Still, the white population of the bay area is 3.775 million, while the Asian population is 1.65 million.

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/bayarea.htm

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

onemileatatime.img.boardingarea.com

not entirely different from ORD-PVG...same funny arctic/siberian path.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

onemileatatime.img.boardingarea.com

not entirely different from ORD-PVG...same funny arctic/siberian path.
The path over the North Pole is similar, but Singapore is quite a bit farther. It’s near the equator, whereas Shanghai’s latitude is like the mid-Atlantic US. The flight time from one to the other is about 5 hours...

On the return flight you take a different path, and go over Tokyo. Looking at the map after 7 hours in the air and seeing that you’re still over Honshu, bound for the NYC area, is just depressing.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:13 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
the bay around (7.2 million people) lost 200,000 white people between the 2000 and 2010 census. I assume they all went to Seattle, Portland, Bend, Denver etc.

Still, the white population of the bay area is 3.775 million, while the Asian population is 1.65 million.

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/bayarea.htm
This is 2016 data from factfinder.census.gov

Total Population
Bay Area CSA: 8,751,000
SF MSA: 4,679,000
SJ MSA: 1,978,000

Asian Alone Population:
Bay Area CSA: 2,106,000...24.1%
SF MSA 1,196,000...25.5%
SJ MSA: 685,000...34.6%

White Population:
Bay Area CSA: 3,468,000...39.6%
San Francisco MSA: 1,870,000...39.9%
San Jose MSA: 637,000...32.2%

Asian Alone/Multiracial Population:
Bay Area CSA: 2,384,000...27.2%
SF MSA: 1,359,000...29.0%
SJ MSA: 746,000...37.7%

The total 'Inner' Bay Area...

SF/SJ MSAs Combined:
Population: 6,657,000
Asian Alone Population: 1,881,000...28.2%
Asian Alone & Multiracial Population: 2,105,000...31.6%
White Population: 2,507,000...37.6%

Key points:
* Asians outnumber Whites in the San Jose Metro

* The Bay Area has no racial majority to begin with

* There are 2 Million Asians in the Inner Bay Area and they constitute about one-third of the 6.6 million population

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:21 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The path over the North Pole is similar, but Singapore is quite a bit farther. It’s near the equator, whereas Shanghai’s latitude is like the mid-Atlantic US. The flight time from one to the other is about 5 hours...

On the return flight you take a different path, and go over Tokyo. Looking at the map after 7 hours in the air and seeing that you’re still over Honshu, bound for the NYC area, is just depressing.
shanghai is south of savannah i believe, but yes singapore is substantially further. i was generally addressing how weird it is to fly over siberia.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The Tenderloin tends to be mainly South and Southeast Asians who are mostly poor.
I think you mean just Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Laotians, etc.). If I recall correctly, I don't think SF has very many socioeconomically lower class South Asians (eg. Indians, Bangladeshis etc.).

Poorer and working class South Asians are more likely to be in cities like Vancouver, Toronto, and NYC.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
shanghai is south of savannah i believe, but yes singapore is substantially further. i was generally addressing how weird it is to fly over siberia.
Singapore is pretty much near-equatorial, lying between the 1st and 2nd parallel, or less than 100 miles from the equator itself. It's pretty much almost the same latitude as Nairobi, Kenya, another city really close to the equator.

The closest major city in the world to the equator line is Quito, where parts of the city are less than a mile from the zero latitude line.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I think you mean just Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Laotians, etc.). If I recall correctly, I don't think SF has very many socioeconomically lower class South Asians (eg. Indians, Bangladeshis etc.).
SF has a lot of poor Chinese people, then a big drop off to a bunch of poor Vietnamese and Filipino people...and then there's another drop off in the population of poor people in other Asian groups, which are less well represented in SF overall. SF actually has more Indian people than Vietnamese people these days, but they seem to be mostly upper class (a lot of them arrived over the past decade and work in the tech industry).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Total foreign born is a factor but doesn't tell the whole story. Vancouver is the most Asian city outside of Asia. Go there and it hits you like a ton of bricks. London and New York are nowhere close to feeling as Asian. The Asian population (foreign and domestic born) is noticeable but in Vancouver it's more than 40% of the population. Asians flavour every aspect of life from the experience on the street, to business, to food, to culture, etc. It's not hard to see Vancouver become the first significant majority Asian city outside Asia. It could happen as soon as the 2031 census.

I haven't been to Los Angeles but based on the data it would follow what one sees in New York and London. It has a big Asian population but it doesn't stand out like it does in Vancouver.
Vancouver certainly has a disproportionately large Asian ethnicity composition for a western city. There are other similar situations across Canada and the western world, in the UK, Leicester, Luton and Slough have Asian ethnicity populations that are approaching or have a strong possibility of surpassing the 40-50% mark by the 2021 census. Of course, the size of Vancouver, Leicester and other small towns and cities across the western world are orders of magnitudes smaller than London or New York. That isn’t to dilute the significance of the percentages, but smaller populations have a higher chance of specific community concentrations developing. There are nearly as many Londoners with Indian ethnicity as there are people in Vancouver. London and New York tend to have a wider ethnic/origin base that is not concentrated on specific groups.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:28 PM
The New Republic

Vancouver is much smaller than London but it's not small like Leceister, Slough, or Luton. There are 2.5 million people there. Btw, I'd also consider Toronto to be more Asian than either London or New York and more diverse than either of those 2 cities. It receives immigrants from every corner of the world like London/NYC but to the degree that 50% of the population is foreign born. London's not even at 40% yet.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Vancouver is much smaller than London but it's not small like Leceister, Slough, or Luton. There are 2.5 million people there. Btw, I'd also consider Toronto to be more Asian than either London or New York and more diverse than either of those 2 cities. It receives immigrants from every corner of the world like London/NYC but to the degree that 50% of the population is foreign born. London's not even at 40% yet.
Toronto is more Asian than NYC or London but not more diverse. Toronto is mostly white, and doesn't have large Hispanic or Black populations. It's diversity is mostly Asian.

Come to think of it, while London has folks from every corner of the globe, even moreso than Toronto, it's still pretty white too. And it doesn't really have much Latin American migration.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Toronto is more Asian than NYC or London but not more diverse. Toronto is mostly white, and doesn't have large Hispanic or Black populations. It's diversity is mostly Asian.

Come to think of it, while London has folks from every corner of the globe, even moreso than Toronto, it's still pretty white too. And it doesn't really have much Latin American migration.
Toronto is not "mostly white".

There can also be diversity within the white population, moreso than between certain people of different race. Even if they are both white here is a bigger cultural difference between a Russian and an Scot than between multigenerational American-born people who are white and black.

(Some) Americans look at diversity only through the black-white-hispanic prism as if that's all that matters.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto is not "mostly white".
The GTA isn't at least 50% white? I find that hard to believe. Even the city proper is likely at least half white.

Quote:
There can also be diversity within the white population, moreso than between certain people of different race.
Of course, but Toronto's white population isn't obviously more diverse than that of NYC or London.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
(Some) Americans look at diversity only through the black-white-hispanic prism as if that's all that matters.
That is indeed a mistake ("OMG Toronto is just two races - whites and Asians, Sacramento is soooo much more diverse") but it's not like NYC or London lack diversity across groups.

Obviously not having a large indigenous African American population or having the links to Latin America that the US has impacts results in smaller numbers of these racialized groups.

But yeah, TO is definitely whiter than NYC or LA or Miami.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:41 PM

Toronto doesn't have an "indigenous" AA population in any numbers obviously, but it does have one of the largest Black immigrant populations in North America.

You won't find much in terms of soul food, Baptist churches etc. Toronto's Black culture is Caribbean basically (roti, jerk chicken, Pentecostal churches etc.) though with a growing African influence (I'd say the ratio of Caribbean to African immigrant is roughly 2 to 1).

However to the extent that there's a continental Black culture, Toronto is obviously influenced by it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:46 PM

Toronto's Asian presence, arguably more than any other North American city, is more characterized by its South Asian presence which in terms of both numbers and percentage of the population is very high. Its East Asian and Chinese population is big too, but it's the South Asian presence that makes it particularly unique.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Toronto doesn't have an "indigenous" AA population in any numbers obviously, but it does have one of the largest Black immigrant populations in North America.

You won't find much in terms of soul food, Baptist churches etc. Toronto's Black culture is Caribbean basically (roti, jerk chicken, Pentecostal churches etc.) though with a growing African influence (I'd say the ratio of Caribbean to African immigrant is roughly 2 to 1).

However to the extent that there's a continental Black culture, Toronto is obviously influenced by it.
I find that North American arguments about diversity rarely break down the diversity of black cultures. Black is just labelled as one category, so that a place with Somalian, Caribbean and Nigerian Americans isn't counted as more diverse than one with only "one" black culture.

However, something about the way the US and Canadian censuses break down Asian groups seems to prefer splitting them up into smaller categories -- eg. Chinese, Japanese, Indian etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions