HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:34 PM
Closed account

More likely the client, for insisting on cheap materials.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think the feds paid for Copps. John Munro pet project.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:57 PM

The common thought seems to be that Copps isn't good enough for an NHL team - even with the talked-about renovation. Apparently the NHL thinks Hamilton needs a brand new arena for any chance to get a team.

With that in mind (and assuming that's the case) what are the chances that Hamilton would get a new arena? Copps isn't THAT old and it's still decent IMO - and it would feel like a waste to build a new arena especially since Copps was built with an NHL team in mind in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:14 AM

They NHL will end up putting a team in 905 suburban nowhere rather than downtown Hamilton. It's about demographics, just like MEC and Ikea.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

In 2007 the City made a deal where Jim Balsillie would purchase Copps for $1. After that he would renovate the arena for $250 million so really that's a brand new arena.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
They NHL will end up putting a team in 905 suburban nowhere rather than downtown Hamilton. It's about demographics, just like MEC and Ikea.
Are there any existing NHL teams based in suburban locations?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 10:18 PM

Just the New York Islanders, who were created to prevent a WHL team from being based in New York.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 2:29 AM
urbanist

Just off the top of my head, Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, Phoenix and Ottawa would all qualify as suburban based franchises, in addition to the Islanders..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 5:21 PM

^
funny how 4 out 5 of those franchises have had significant financial troubles. I know Phoenix and Florida are non-traditional hockey markets, but its still very telling. (And on a side note - perhaps this is another good reason to keep our potential new PAN AM stadium out of the airport lands).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hunting a piece of Hamilton's NHL history
Hamilton Tiger sweater one of sport's lost treasures

February 17, 2009
Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/514792

It's become the stuff of hockey legend.

In the early '90s, a Hamilton Tigers NHL sweater -- the last-known in existence and worth upwards of $60,000 -- was sold for $500 in a Barton Street memorabilia shop. It has never resurfaced.

The sweater has since been named one of Sports Illustrated magazine's 25 lost treasures, alongside Muhammad Ali's gold medal and the piece of Evander Holyfield's ear bitten off by Mike Tyson.

Now, a team of Hamilton men is trying to bring the Tigers sweater back to its hometown.

Local documentary-maker David Wesley is filming a program for CBC's Documentary channel about the search for the long-lost artifact. He's teamed up with Ancaster businessman Russ Boychuk, who owns the rights to the Hamilton Tigers name for an NHL franchise.

"This sweater is described as the Holy Grail of sports memorabilia," Wesley said. "There's still a chance that somebody has one tucked away in their attic or basement and doesn't know how valuable it is."

In 1925, the Hamilton Tigers were in first place in the NHL and heading for the Stanley Cup championships. But just before the playoffs, the team went on strike after they were refused a raise.

A year later, they were sold and became the New York Americans.

Almost all evidence of Hamilton's NHL team has vanished, except for a few photos, some newspaper articles and a couple programs from their games.

Wesley's team has contacted the descendants of Tigers players, NHL sweater collectors and hockey historians in the hopes of finding one.

Their documentary, which will air in April, will feature interviews with "some pretty interesting characters from the shadowy and high-octane world of hockey collectors," Wesley said.

Angelo Savelli, the owner of the Barton Street memorabilia shop, said he doesn't have any information about the man who bought the sweater. At the time, he was eager to unload his items because police had warned him someone was trying to kill him for his collection.

If Wesley and Boychuk find a Tigers sweater, they hope to purchase it, bring it back to Hamilton for display, then donate it to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

They both feel that returning the sweater to Hamilton may break the curse of bringing an NHL team to the city.

"I think it's important for Hamilton's psyche," Boychuk said. "We've been bridesmaids for an NHL team for so long -- and yet we had one and we just forgot about it."

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 4:27 PM

That's a great little article.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 6:49 AM
Needs more coffee...

just saw this on sportscentre:

Calgary billionaire has "handshake agrement" to buy Predators shares (second article here)

(at plans to purchase 27%, insists his share in the team is "nominal" with no plans to relocate, etc. etc. etc.)

I don't know who this guy is, but who knows if he'd be one to eventually try to get ownership and another team out West... or if he'd be a backer of working with others to move it to a Canadian city outside of Alberta - e.g. Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:31 AM
The New Republic

Let's get a team back in Hamilton. Does Hamilton still have rights to the name Tigers?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:42 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

the guy that just bought into the Preds is one of the guys on the CBC show Dragons Den

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:52 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Let's get a team back in Hamilton. Does Hamilton still have rights to the name Tigers?
The article on the Tigers jersey in the Spec a little while ago mentioned that an Ancaster businessman still owns those rights.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:38 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

got bored and started playing in Paint tonight. these are very crude, but i figure i'd toss the idea out there:

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:08 PM

^^Nice designs.

The way the NHL is these days the team would probably be called the Hamilton Destruction or the Ontario Velociraptors or some other stupid thing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
got bored and started playing in Paint tonight. these are very crude, but i figure i'd toss the idea out there:

Nice.

However, if Hamilton were to get an NHL team (I can't believe it's 2009 and we're still waiting for a team) I'd love for them to stick with the yellow and black colours (ala. the old Tigers uniforms and the Ti-cats).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:12 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation