HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 10:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

More donation from Balsillie
http://www.680news.com/news/national...n2517603970557

I know for a fact McMaster tried to get donation from Balsillie in the past. He obviously has other plans (NHL for Hamilton).

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 11:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Balsillie submits formal bid for Phoenix Coyotes
Updated Mon. May. 25 2009 7:28 PM ET

The Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Jim Balsillie has formally asked other NHL owners to let him into the club.

The Canadian billionaire filed an application with the league's board of governors seeking a transfer of the Phoenix Coyotes ownership interest, one of his representatives confirmed Monday.

During a bankruptcy hearing last week, Judge Redfield T. Baum questioned why Balsillie was pursuing an antitrust suit against the NHL if his bid to buy the team hadn't officially been turned down. He's expected to file an application to move the team early next week.

If the board of governors vote down his $212.5-million bid or withhold a decision on it, court proceedings will continue with a scheduled June 22 hearing in Phoenix, where Baum is to hear arguments about whether the franchise can be relocated as part of a sale.

In the meantime, the parties will be back in court Wednesday to provide an update on mediation between Coyotes majority owner Jerry Moyes and the NHL over who currently controls the team.

There is still some work to be done on that front.

"There has been no mediation," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email. "The parties have exchanged ideas. Nothing has been finalized to this point."

During last week's hearing, lawyers for the NHL said the league would be comfortable paying the Coyotes bills until a new buyer for the team is found.

Unless the board of governors takes the unlikely step of approving Balsillie's bid, the court will likely end up overseeing an auction for the team over the summer.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Yeah, I'd really like to know what's going on there. I did a little Googling earlier today and found nothing.
It turns out that the rally is being held in front of Copps Coliseum and is being organized by a local woman. I am kind of relieved. I thought that Copps had actually been rented out and that this was a larger undertaking.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:08 AM
It's Hammer Time

Listen up, Bettman!

Woman wants 10,000 to attend Hamilton Coyotes rally
May 26, 2009
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/572002

There will be no floats, few if any politicians, nary a corporate VP or cheerleaders or banners. But Michelle Febers is hoping there'll be plenty of voices of ordinary Hamiltonians at her planned National Hockey League rally on the weekend.

Febers is hoping some 10,000 Hamiltonians will voice their support for Jim Balsillie's bid to bring an NHL franchise to Steeltown by turning out for her Saturday Rally for the Hamilton Coyotes in front of Copps Coliseum.

The mother of three thinks every Hamiltonian should have a voice about the BlackBerry billionaire's bid to buy and relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton for next season. And the 34-year-old receptionist for a roofing company and part-time Burlington sports bar server, who admits to owning "a big mouth," is going to help make sure that voice is heard -- by providing a microphone and a set of speakers at the corner of Bay Street and York Boulevard between 1 and 4 p.m.

"My concept of the rally is to set up a microphone and speakers and even if we have just 200 people there, people will get a chance to speak for 30 seconds. I want a new team. Our city needs this. With the steel plants closing down, we don't have anything. We need to have our city revamped," she said.

A long-time Maple Leafs fan, Febers said: "The reason for this rally is that the average person like myself deserves to be heard. We're not politicians, we're not corporations, we are the people of Hamilton."

But not everyone thinks Febers' idea is a sound one.

Councillor Terry Whitehead, chairman of the city's NHL Steering Committee, wonders whether the timing is right with Balsillie's latest NHL bid in the courts.

"My hope is to talk to Michelle and see if we can find a more suitable date in terms of rallying the troops," he said.

Perhaps part of Whitehead's concern is that a poor turnout could do more harm than help. An earlier Save the Coyotes rally in Arizona a few weeks ago made headlines when it drew fewer than 500 supporters for the club.

Febers acknowledges a poor turnout could reflect badly on the Hamilton bid, but adds she doesn't believe a rally can do any harm given NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's continuing opposition to an NHL team at Copps Coliseum.

"Gary Bettman needs to hear that Canada will not be shut out forever. Enough is enough. There is a point where the average person needs to step up and say 'no more.' No one thinks one voice can be heard. I believe in this city.

"I don't believe in roadblocks. I teach my kids that if you believe in something, go for it.

"There will be five of us for sure," she joked, adding husband Tom and her three children will attend.

But Febers believes there will be more. She notes that Balsillie's Makeitseven online campaign has 130,000 supporters and she has more than 800 signed up for her Facebook posting.

Hamilton businessman Chris Ecklund, who has 9,000 signed up to his Bring the NHL to Hamilton Facebook post, has thrown his support behind the rally.

"I'm 100 per cent in support of anyone setting up a rally. That can just lead to bigger things," he said.

Febers has spoken with Balsillie spokesperson Bill Walker and hopes the prospective Hamilton franchise owner will attend, but understands if he cannot.

Walker told The Spectator yesterday that no one from the Balsillie camp plans to attend.

"Makeitseven.ca has also been asked to participate in and sponsor a number of events and rallies, including some in Hamilton. While we appreciate the enthusiasm, it is impossible for Makeitseven.ca to support every activity. It's difficult to support some and not others."

Febers is less forgiving for Mayor Fred Eisenberger, who she has invited but not heard back from.

"He is the voice of our city. He should be there."

A Phoenix bankruptcy court is expected to rule next month on whether the troubled Coyotes constitute a movable asset that can be relocated to southern Ontario.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Answers expected tomorrow in Coyotes case

Kevin McGran
SPORTS REPORTER
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/640278

While the NHL and Phoenix Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes look like they can finally get along, the question becomes whether the league will admit or blackball BlackBerry magnate Jim Balsillie.

The league has before it the application by the billionaire co-founder of Research In Motion to become an owner. Next week, it will receive an application from Moyes to officially move the team to Hamilton.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly declined to comment on Balsillie's application, but confirmed the NHL will continue to pay the Coyotes' bills until the team is sold as part of a mediation agreement.

Moyes and the NHL were ordered into mediation last week by Judge Redfield Baum, an order that has borne some fruit. The once-prickly matter of "control" appears to be moot, with both sides instead focusing on running the day-to-day business of the team.

"The control issue is not resolved," Daly said in an email. "But the parties are trying to agree on a process to jointly operate the club pending the sale."

A hearing tomorrow will shed light on some matters, including the process to sell the team and the city of Glendale's lawsuit to force the team to stay at the Jobing.com Arena for another 26 years.

Any relocation will be decided in June, with Moyes kick-starting that when he hands in his application next week. The NHL will likely turn down Moyes' application – setting in motion an anti-trust suit.

But what it does with Balsillie's application to be approved as an owner is anyone's guess. Balsillie has already been approved before – when he tried to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins – so the Balsillie camp is hopeful that the vetting process will be seamless.

"We're hopeful," said Balsillie spokesperson Bill Walker. "The biggest thing that's driving our confidence is the fans. The NHL wasn't considering another team in southern Ontario prior to our bid. Given the fact that over 130,000 fans have singed up for our (makeitseven.ca) website, the NHL has acknowledged that southern Ontario can support another team and is a good hockey market."

If Balsillie wins approval from the league's board of governors, he'd be that much closer to having a team in Hamilton. If he fails to gain approval, the rejection would also be part of an anti-trust suit.

Typically, new owners require a three-quarters vote from the board of directors to be approved. And all proposed ownership transactions must be approved. In this bankruptcy case, however, the board of governors may be asked to approve multiple bidders before court determines which has the best offer.

At least two other groups – one with current minority owner John Breslow and the other from Chicago sports magnate Jerry Reinsdorf – are said to be interested.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Febers is hoping some 10,000 Hamiltonians will voice their support for Jim Balsillie's bid to bring an NHL franchise to Steeltown by turning out for her Saturday Rally for the Hamilton Coyotes in front of Copps Coliseum.

The mother of three thinks every Hamiltonian should have a voice about the BlackBerry billionaire's bid to buy and relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton for next season. And the 34-year-old receptionist for a roofing company and part-time Burlington sports bar server, who admits to owning "a big mouth," is going to help make sure that voice is heard -- by providing a microphone and a set of speakers at the corner of Bay Street and York Boulevard between 1 and 4 p.m.
Anyone here go to 1996’s Days Of Action rally outside Copps? Now that was a rally.

Also, an update...

NEW DATE for Rally to bring NHL Hockey to Hamilton

To All Media, Local Businesses, and the People of Hamilton:

Please be advised the “Bring NHL Hockey to Hamilton Rally” scheduled for Saturday, May 30, 2009 has been postponed.

There have been numerous expressions of interest and support in participating. To ensure that the people of Hamilton are given ample opportunity to make this the best rally possible, the new date for the rally is Friday, June 19, 2009 from 12:00 noon to 1:30 pm outside Copps Coliseum in downtown Hamilton.

Organizer Michelle Febers is pulling together a community rally planning group to generate even more public awareness and to ensure participation from local sport organizations and the business community.

We look forward to celebrating with the entire City, so please mark the date and join us for the “Bring NHL Hockey to Hamilton Rally” on Friday, June 19, 2009 over the noon hour.

When: Friday, June 19, 2009

Time: 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.

Where: Outside Copps Coliseum at York and Bay Streets, Hamilton, ON

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

I walked along the parade during the Day of Action with my parents. Andrea Howarth did all that work.

That's an even cheaper time. Noon during a weekday!?

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like Balsillie is playing hardball now.....

Balsillie sets June deadline for Coyotes deal

May 26, 2009
By Dana Brown
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/572073

BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie has set a June deadline for the purchasing the Phoenix Coyotes.

If the deal does not go through by then, Balsillie’s hockey company will withdraw its $212.5 million bid for the team, say court documents filed Tuesday.

“Indeed, neither PSE Sports nor any other known entity will fund another year of significant losses ... sustained by Coyotes hockey (which approach nearly $30 million per year),” the documents say.

Balsillie is warning that without the sale, transfer and relocation of the club in time for the 2009-10 season, the $212.5 million will be lost. The documents note the offer is the highest so far.

Balsillie’s team will argue for an expedited sale in court tomorrow, arguing a quicker sale is “not unreasonable under the circumstances.”

“An expedited sale is necessary to maximize the value of Coyotes Hockey’s assets,” the documents say, noting that any prospective buyer will want close the deal before the NHL Draft on June 26 and 27 and before the 2009-10 game schedule is done.

Under the terms of a 20-year lease agreement with the city for Copps Coliseum, Balsillie’s has until the end of October to bring the team to Hamilton.

Earlier this month during bankruptcy filings, Balsillie had offered to leave the team in Phoenix for next season, on the condition he got approval to bring it to Hamilton and the NHL paid the team’s losses for the year.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:20 PM

Interesting move by Balsillie. They are forcing every ones hand knowing that there is no other offer comparable to his.

SteelTown do you know if there is any where we can listen to tomorrows court hearing? There are some new things that have come up the last few days. I'd like to hear how they play out in court.

By the way it looks like I'll be taking Friday afternoon off June 12th and coming to the Hammer to support my friends.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I walked along the parade during the Day of Action with my parents. Andrea Howarth did all that work.

Yeah I don't get this at all. I was looking forward to going to it on Saturday and was curious to see what the turnout would be. I'll still go to the Friday event, because I only work when I deign to, but for a lot of people it will be impossible to go. Why not still have it on a Saturday?

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

National Post has a live blog during the court proceeding. It'll probably start around 4pm our time, 1pm their time. You can't hear or watch the case.

Apparently Moyes and NHL came to some sort of agreement, we should find out tomorrow.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Could have had it during the evening and that would be perfect for the 6 o'clock news and you know that would be broadcasted live across the country.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:29 PM

National Post:

Coyotes' Moyes afraid of losing Balsillie bid
Posted: May 26, 2009, 5:44 PM by Joe O'Connor

Phoenix Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes has urged an Arizona bankruptcy court to resolve the sale of his financially troubled team by the end of June. In a motion filed by his legal team Tuesday, Moyes suggested any delays could affect the deal he has worked out with Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

The co-CEO of Research in Motion has offered US$212.5-million to purchase the Coyotes, but his bid has always been contingent on the sale being completed by June 29 and the franchise being relocated to Southern Ontario.

“If a decision on the proposed sale of assets is not made by the end of June,” the court document states, “the Debtors [Moyes] have been notified that PSE Sports [Jim Balsillie] will withdraw its offer under the Asset Purchase Agreement dated May 5, 2009.”

Balsillie appeared to step back from his hard-line position when he said he would be willing to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix for a year, if the NHL paid the bills. But Tuesday’s court filings suggest that might have been nothing more than posturing.

Moyes’ motion for the expedited sale of a money-bleeding franchise — one that the NHL maintains Moyes, a trucking magnate who has lost hundreds of millions of dollars on the Coyotes, did not have right to put into bankruptcy — also argues that a resolution is needed for hockey-related reasons.

“Any prospective purchaser that is serious about acquiring Coyotes Hockey’s assets will want the transaction closed before the upcoming NHL draft to take place on June 26 and 27, 2009, and finalization of the 2009-10 game schedule. This is especially true if the prospective purchaser wishes to relocate the hockey club.”

The filing argues further that a new owner, with a new town for the Coyotes to play in, would need time to ready the arena, sell tickets and strike deals with corporate and broadcasters.

“In other words,” the document reads, “a sale cannot drag through the summer of 2009.”

But the fight for the Coyotes between the league and Moyes — a fight that also includes the City of Glendale, which holds a lucrative lease with the club, and the BlackBerry king who wants to move the team to Canada — might just be getting started.

The NHL says it is too far along in the planning for next season to move the team now. Moyes and his lawyers say things are moving too slow, and want the process sped up.

The two sides will be back in court Wednesday, when they are scheduled to update Judge Redfield T. Baum on court-ordered discussions to determine who was in control of the team at the time of the bankruptcy filing.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:32 PM

And yeah, that rally looks like it could be a Glendale-grade squib.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
National Post has a live blog during the court proceeding. It'll probably start around 4pm our time, 1pm their time. You can't hear or watch the case.

Apparently Moyes and NHL came to some sort of agreement, we should find out tomorrow.
Thanks. The last time I was following the SportsNet Blog but they seemed pretty slow at posting any info.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:04 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:

yeah, that's frustrating. I work a few steps away so I can probably make it over lunch, but there's dozens of people I know who won't be able to make it there.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Yeah I don't get this at all. I was looking forward to going to it on Saturday and was curious to see what the turnout would be. I'll still go to the Friday event, because I only work when I deign to, but for a lot of people it will be impossible to go. Why not still have it on a Saturday?
I would encourage you to not go to the rally. This woman clearly has good intentions, but she clearly doesn't have the firepower to get something large off the ground, and as a few people have mentioned, this thing could prove embarrassing if it gets negative attention because of a poor turnout.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:04 AM

They should just cancel the rally until something more concrete happens with the Coyotes. It should also be organized by people with more pull and skill.

In any case, I think this Coyotes bid will fizzle out soon enough. But I think more was accomplished this time around than all the other times put together.

The financial mess of the NHL has been further exposed leaving them with a really bad PR nightmare. The league comes off as incompetant and pretty shady in how they deal with situations. I also love that Canadians seem to be more vocal of their displeasure with the way the NHL treats their bread and butter and the media across the country has really put them under the microscope and has helped to generate a lot of exposure. Another big thing - Bettman's days really do seem to be numbered.

I really think Hamilton (and Canada) is one big step closer to getting a team.

I'm just going to wait for the other shoe(s) to drop as we'll be seeing a few other franchises on the verge of going belly up soon.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
They should just cancel the rally until something more concrete happens with the Coyotes. It should also be organized by people with more pull and skill.

In any case, I think this Coyotes bid will fizzle out soon enough. But I think more was accomplished this time around than all the other times put together.

The financial mess of the NHL has been further exposed leaving them with a really bad PR nightmare. The league comes off as incompetant and pretty shady in how they deal with situations. I also love that Canadians seem to be more vocal of their displeasure with the way the NHL treats their bread and butter and the media across the country has really put them under the microscope and has helped to generate a lot of exposure. Another big thing - Bettman's days really do seem to be numbered.

I really think Hamilton (and Canada) is one big step closer to getting a team.

I'm just going to wait for the other shoe(s) to drop as we'll be seeing a few other franchises on the verge of going belly up soon.
If Balsillie pulls out, I wonder what happens with the Coyotes.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
If Balsillie pulls out, I wonder what happens with the Coyotes.
It's a tough situation and I think the results will look badly on the league. I don't see them moving anywhere in time for next season, yet I don't see how the team can possibly remain in Phoenix either.

Their ticket sales were always horrible, and was going to get worse due to the economy (last seasons season tickets were sold before the economy went down the crapper). Now with this team almost guaranteed to move in the near future, sales should be ridiculously low if they were to stay for one more season. I heard that before the bankruptcy filing, the Coyotes only had roughly 600-700 season tickets sold for the upcoming season - and since then I'm sure there's only a handful more. This is a franchise that averages around 7,000 households viewers per game. How's that for bad?

I can honestly see the franchise folding and the league contracting by one team with the current Coyotes roster going in a despersal draft. Who knows if a new expansion team will come aboard for the following season to bring the league back up to 30 teams?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation