HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 12:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ticats, city tackle new lease deal for Ivor Wynne Stadium

February 05, 2009
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/507672

The city is negotiating a new lease for Ivor Wynne Stadium with the Tiger-Cats.

The old five-year agreement, which saw the team pay $25,000 a year to use the sporting facility, expired in December.

It costs the city $1.2 million a year to run the stadium with the football team as the prime tenant.

Joe Rinaldo, the city's former finance chief who is part of the negotiations, said he's hopeful the city will be able to secure more revenue in the new lease. But he's also mindful of the team's finances.

"They're trying to balance their books as well," he said. "It's a matter of how far you push."

The Ticats recently predicted its sixth money-losing season.

President Scott Mitchell said the team isn't willing to pay more for its lease, but is interested in additional revenue sharing with the city. For example, he said the team would look at a special ticket surcharge to support the stadium.

Mitchell said the lease cost doesn't accurately reflect the team's contribution. Over the years, the Ticats have invested more than $5 million in renovations to the stadium, from the video board to locker room upgrades, he said. "It's gone much farther than the $25,000."

The old lease price covered 11 games per year, plus office space, locker rooms and a neighbouring practice field. The team also benefits from the concession revenues. The city picks up the security costs for games. If the team made the playoffs, it would pay an additional $15,000 per game.

Diane Lapointe-Kay, director of recreation, noted the city must also consider the non-financial benefits of the team, including the fact the televised games give Hamilton national exposure. Besides the Ticats, the city pulled in about $45,000 in other revenue from the stadium.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 2:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Kevin Glenn reached a tentative deal with the Tiger-Cats and could be announced as soon as tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tiger-Cats Sign Veteran QB Kevin Glenn

Hamilton, Ontario - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has signed import quarterback Kevin Glenn.

"Kevin's talent, experience and leadership will make him a valuable member of our team," said general manager Bob O'Billovich. "He will be a great fit in our offence and will give us a better chance to win in 2009."

Glenn, a 5-10, 203-pound native of Detroit, Michigan has played eight CFL seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders (2001-03) and Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2004-08). In 132 career games, Glenn has thrown for 20,339 yards and 109 touchdowns while adding 939 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns.

The Illinois State product enjoyed his most successful season in 2007, when he was named the East Division's Most Outstanding Player and an East Division all-star after leading the league with 5,114 passing yards while also registering 25 touchdown passes. Glenn led the Bombers to a 10-7-1 record and a berth in the 2007 Grey Cup final, but was unable to play in the championship game after suffering an arm injury in Winnipeg's East Semi-Final win over Toronto.

Prior to turning pro, Glenn spent four years at Illinois State where he set 25 school records and let the Redbirds to their first Gateway Football Conference Championship.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:46 AM

On the ticats.ca forum somebody posted this link to a video from Tom Wilson's
new band. Some shots of Ivor Wynne and a few other Hammer locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXkfl-ZjVw

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:14 PM

Tiger-Cats purring over early ticket sales

May 26, 2009
Drew Edwards
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 26, 2009)

Despite a tight economy and years of on-field futility, Hamilton Tiger-Cats faithful continue to support the team at the ticket wicket.

Team president Scott Mitchell told a league-organized conference call yesterday that season ticket accounts are expected to be up 4 per cent from last year.

"As far as the business of the Ticats goes, things are very strong." he said.

According to Mitchell, renewals are in the 87 per cent range -- just 1 per cent off the team's target -- while corporate sales are up 12 to 15 per cent.

But the team is not immune to the struggling economy. Just as the Yankees are struggling to sell the pricey premium seats in their new stadium, the Ticats are seeing a decline in the demand for their top tier packages.

"We haven't sold as many high end tickets as we typically have," Mitchell said.

And he refused to divulge a specific number of the total number of season tickets sold.

"Because of the way we've restructured our operations, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges from year's past," he said. "Total numbers will be up and total revenue is budgeted to be up as well."

Mitchell also voiced his support for GM Bob O'Billovich and head coach Marcel Bellefeuille, saying the three had a good working relationship.

"It's been a strong off-season for us. I think the fans in Hamilton have some genuine enthusiasm and optimism moving forward."

GM Bob O'Billovich said the Ticats' rivalry with the Argos is important to the well-being of the Canadian Football League.

"It's really important to establish those rivalries so fans can have fun when they come to the football games," O'Billovich said.

In 1983, the Argos won their first Grey Cup in more than 30 years with Obie as their head coach, a job he held for eight seasons.

He joined the Ticats as GM in December 2007.

"Now that I've been in Hamilton, I've really gotten an insight as to the passion and the love and the support that (fans) have for their Ticats."

The Ticat GM also participated in yesterday's conference call, despite having hip replacement surgery just last Wednesday.

"I just got home last night from the hospital and this is my first official business since the surgery," O'Billovich noted.

"I'm glad to be back in the fold with everybody."

dedwards@thespec.com

905-526-2481

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:01 PM

Very glad to see that ticket sales are up this year on a gross number basis. Maybe they won't blackout any games this year for those who cannot make it down to IWS.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:23 PM

I haven't heard anything about the blackout plans for this year. I don't think it made any difference in attendance last year, so I hope they go ahead and skip the blackouts this year. They need all the exposure they can get in the Southern Ontario market.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 8:45 PM

Tsn Hits The Gridiron With Entire 77-game Cfl Package

TSN gets Canadian football fans back on the gridiron on Canada Day with its prestigious and all-encompassing CFL ON TSN broadcast campaign, featuring every single CFL game – including the playoffs and the Grey Cup.

All regular and post-season match-ups will air in High Definition on TSN HD, and games will also be available on demand at TSN.ca. Encore presentations of most games on TSN will air on TSN2 on a three-hour delay.

TSN's complete 77-game broadcast package is part of its exclusive multi-year deal with the CFL, which kicked off last year. Along with every game, CFL fans will be well-served this season with the return of the weekly staple, Wendy's Friday Night Football, plus the CFL on TSN Preview Show, the Grey Cup Playoffs, Grey Cup Saturday, and the season's marquee event: the 97th Grey Cup Championship from Calgary.

TSN kicks off regular season coverage of Canada's game on Canada Day (July 1) with an opening night doubleheader featuring Toronto at Hamilton at 7pm et, immediately followed by Montreal at Calgary at 10pm et in a rematch of last year's Grey Cup final.

Also starting the season in Calgary is the CFL ON TSN studio panel, as host Dave Randorf and analysts Chris Schultz, Matt Dunigan and Jock Climie are live, on location in McMahon Stadium. The panel will bring TSN's coverage full-circle in November, when they return to McMahon Stadium for the 97th Grey Cup.

In addition, joining the CFL on TSN broadcast team this season is recently retired Winnipeg Blue Bombers all-star receiver Milt Stegall.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=281459

Not sure if the Cats still have the option of blacking out their games in this region.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 10:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

First game day today!

So think the Ti Cats will improve this season?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 2:00 AM

I said last year they would be better than the year before and they ended up 3 and 13 for the second year in a row. I'll say seven wins.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:01 AM

Ticat loss puts jobs on the line
Argos win 27-17

June 24, 2009
Drew Edwards

In this case, who won the individual battles may be more important than the team that prevailed in the actual war.

The Toronto Argonauts beat the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 27-17 last night before 16,225 at Ivor Wynne in the final pre-season game for both teams. But the real story was individual players fighting for starting jobs and roster spots.

For the Cats, the No. 1 quarterback job is still up for grabs.

Quinton Porter played the entire first half putting up decent numbers: 10 for 18 passing, 133 yards with no touchdowns and an interception. He also ran five times for 33 yards.

But Exhibit A in Porter's case was a sustained drive late in the second quarter, an 84-yard, 12 play march that concluded with Terry Caulley running it in from four yards out. Receiver Drisan James kept it going by hauling in a 21-yard strike from Porter on a third and 10 gamble.

Kevin Glenn, playing behind a weaker offensive line and without starting receivers for much his time, went 6 for 13 for 82 yards with no touchdowns or picks. He played until Adam Tafralis came in with just over four minutes left in the fourth.

After the game, head coach Marcel Bellefeuille wasn't ready to anoint a starter.

"It's still not decided -- we'll go and evaluate the tape," he said.

That evaluation process will also extend to much of the rest of the roster.

"Everyone that was dressed played tonight and in critical situations. We got a great opportunity to evaluate everyone," Bellefeuille said.

"It's different for me. It's my ninth year in the league and I've never had this many competitions for jobs so late in camp."

The game was a sloppy affair, the teams combining for more than two dozen penalties. The Cats had 15 for 96 yards in the first half alone.

It was also another tough start for the Cats. The Argos opened the scoring just over three minutes into the game with Kerry Joseph completing a 25-yard pass to a wide-open Arland Bruce III. They made it 14-0 after turning a Porter interception into a six-yard touchdown run by quarterback Kerry Joseph.

The Double Blue looked ready to take a commanding lead when Ticat linebacker Otis Floyd scooped up a Kerry Joseph fumble and rumbled 95 yards to the house on the final play of the first quarter. That made the score 14-7 and seemed to ignite the Cats.

The veteran Floyd, who was picked up as a free agent in the off-season, was taking some ribbing in the locker room after the game after his long-distance dash.

"I was praying nobody caught me," Floyd said. "I'm 33 but I run like I'm 25 and I had to prove it today."

The Ticats tied the game at 17 in the third quarter on a Dave Stala field goal -- he was filling in for an injured Nick Setta -- but the Argos made it 24-17 when local boy Bryan Crawford ran it in from five yards out and an Eddie Johnson field goal with 4:31 left made it 27-17.

Bellefeuille said after the game that Setta's injury isn't serious.

For the Argos, starting quarterback Kerry Joseph went 14 for 24, racking up 147 yards with one touchdown and an interception playing into early into the third quarter.

The Tiger-Cats and Argonauts will square off in the season opener on July 1 back at Ivor Wynne Stadium for a game that will actually count in the standings.

Despite the 0-2 finish to the pre-season, Bellefeuille said he was pleased with how his team is shaping up. "I'd like to see us play a little bit better as a team but there was great effort out there," he said.

dedwards@thespec.com

905-526-2481

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:46 PM

Go Ticats! No rain and a victory!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 4:36 AM

Ok that was disappointing. Argos 30, Cat 17. Looks like another long year.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 7:35 PM

Woohoo! Cats 31, Lions 28.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:59 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Woohoo! Cats 31, Lions 28.

They actually looked good winning the game too. I was amazed how well they played. Lets hope they don't get too confident and have a letdown next game.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ti Cats are looking good with Davis and quarterbacks.

They keep it up I might actually go to the Labour Day game, haven't gone to one in probably 3 years.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Think the Ti Cats will beat the undefeated Alouettes tonight?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 5:42 PM

I hope so, but Montreal is amazing this year. Too bad the Cats couldn't have been playing any other team in the league to keep their win streak going.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:22 AM
It's Hammer Time

Bruce rumoured headed to Ticats
Calgary and Winnipeg reportedly also in the running to acquire star receiver

July 28, 2009
THE CANADIAN PRESS
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/608307

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — The Arland Bruce III saga in Toronto seems to be coming to a quick end.

Two CFL sources requesting anonymity said Tuesday night the Argos were in serious talks to trade Bruce to arch-rival Hamilton, though one of the sources said two other potential suitors were also in the running.

While the source wouldn’t divulge the identities of the other interested teams, Calgary and Winnipeg are reportedly interested in the talented but controversial receiver.

The sources said a deal could be completed as early as Wednesday.

The Argos returned to the practice field Tuesday without Bruce. The start slotback was barred from the team last week by head coach Bart Andrus.

The 5-foot-11, 194-pound Bruce didn’t attend team meetings Tuesday morning and wasn’t on the field when practice began afterwards. Bruce was reportedly poised to rejoin his teammates before being told by club officials earlier in the morning to stay away.

Bruce met with Argos GM Adam Rita on Sunday but Andrus is said to have final say on his future. And on Tuesday, the first-year CFL head coach made it very clear he doesn’t want Bruce around.

“He’s not here today because I don’t want him here today,” Andrus said emphatically. “That’s why.

“We’re looking at a lot of different things, a lot of different ways to bring this to a resolution. But right now I do not want him around the team.”

The Bruce saga certainly has garnered a lot of attention. Maybe three or four reporters attend a typical Argos practice, but Tuesday’s session attracted roughly triple that amount.

Andrus didn’t bring Bruce to Winnipeg for last Friday’s 19-5 victory against the Blue Bombers, saying he was disciplining the six-year Argo for breaking team rules. Instead of quietly accepting the move, Bruce, in his eighth CFL season, made matters worse by publicly criticizing Andrus and quarterback Kerry Joseph.

News of the pending deal was not surprising, as Andrus’s body language and the emphatic tone of his voice when he spoke earlier Tuesday strongly suggested Bruce’s days in Toronto were numbered.

“No,” Andrus said when asked if he’s spoken to Bruce. “I had a nice talk with him last Thursday and that was enough.”

Adding to Bruce’s precarious state in Toronto was the Argos signing of receiver Chad Lucas to the active roster Tuesday. Lucas played for Andrus with the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe in 2006.

Andrus did say had Bruce handled the situation differently, chances are he would have still remained in the team’s plans.

“I would say there would’ve been a good possibility because that’s the way a professional responds when they’re reprimanded,” Andrus said. “The fundamental reason (Bruce isn’t with Argos) is him and the reaction that he had with being disciplined.

“It all lies there.”

Bruce, 31, has been Toronto’s leading receiver the past three seasons and his absence would seem to hurt an offence that’s struggled this season. The Argos are 2-2 and tied with Hamilton for second in the East Division despite averaging 256 passing yards a game — third-worst in the CFL.

Without Bruce and injured veteran Andre Talbot, Toronto’s most experienced and productive receiver is sophomore Reggie McNeal, a converted quarterback with 58 catches and 837 receiving yards to his credit.

Toronto managed just 144 yards passing against Winnipeg and McNeal was the team’s leading receiver with four catches for 60 yards.

Despite that, Andrus doesn’t believe Toronto’s offence is better with Bruce in the lineup.

“I’m not so sure he makes our offensive team better,” Andrus said.

McNeal, though, disagreed.

“He’ll make any offence better,” McNeal said of Bruce. “He can play, he’s good.”

Linebacker Willie Pile says the uncertainty surrounding Bruce wasn’t a distraction in the Argos locker-room leading up to Saturday’s rematch with Winnipeg at Rogers Centre (TSN, 1 p.m.).

“Not at all,” he said. “We’re so focused on trying to get these wins and stringing them together.

“We’ve been up and down all season that we want to string some positive wins together especially in front of our home crowd.”

Bruce wasn’t suspended and remains on the Argos’ roster pending the outcome of the trade talks, meaning he’s still being paid his reported $190,000 salary.

Should trade talks fall through, Toronto can still release Bruce or keep him on the roster — and continue paying him.

Toronto has until Friday to name its 46-man roster for Saturday’s home game against Winnipeg. But the Argos will have until an hour before kickoff to announce their 42-man active roster.

Last week in Winnipeg, Toronto included Bruce on its 46-man list but he was among the team’s four players scratched from the active roster.

Bruce has been fined four times by the team this season for several missteps, including failing to attend two special teams meetings, being late for an offensive meeting, playing his music too loud in the locker-room and leaving his playbook on a plane after a flight to Calgary.

Bruce has also got into trouble with the CFL.

Following a playoff game three years ago, Bruce was fined by the CFL after saying on-field officials were racist. Last season, he was penalized financially for donning a Spider-Man mask after scoring a touchdown and received another fine earlier this year for removing his helmet and shoulder pads and lying down in the end zone as a tribute to Michael Jackson.

But there’s no questioning Bruce’s football ability. He has surpassed the 1,200-yard receiving plateau three of the past four years and three times been named an East Division all-star. And Bruce was a member of Toronto’s Grey Cup championship team in 2004.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 11:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Disgruntled Bruce to Ticats
Angry Argo headed for Steeltown

July 29, 2009
Drew Edwards
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/608613

Multiple sources told The Spectator last night the Tiger-Cats were close to completing a deal to acquire Toronto Argonaut wide receiver Arland Bruce, possibly for a draft pick or a player not on the Ticat roster.

One name that has come up as possibly going to Toronto in exchange for Bruce is non-import defensive tackle Corey Mace, who was released by the Buffalo Bills. He has been attempting to sign with another National Football League club but as training camps open, still finds himself without a team.

The Tiger-Cats acquired his rights as part of the deal that sent linebacker Zeke Moreno to Winnipeg.

Tiger-Cat officials declined to comment last night after telling The Spectator on Monday that a deal for Bruce wasn't imminent.

A Canadian Football League source requesting anonymity said last night the Argos were in serious talks to trade the receiver to arch-rival Hamilton. The source added the deal could be completed as early as today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation