HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 8:25 PM

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by FFA Architecture & Interiors to discuss the 10th & Yamhill Smart Park Renovation:

Quote:
Pre-application conference to discuss the alterations proposed to the Smart Park Garage that include replace existing stairways/elevators, new signage and awnings, reconstruct the entrances and ROW encroachments. Green roofs are under construction for new areas.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:37 AM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:42 PM

Drawings [PDF - 5MB] and memo. Going before Design Commission for Design Advice next week.

(Methinks staff might be a little bit ambitious in citing 1111 Lincoln Rd as a precedent).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:59 PM

Lipstick on a pig

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:10 AM

I thought they were going to push the storefronts outward and get rid of the arcade. Hmm I guess it'll look a little nicer but not as nice as a total demolition, ha!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:17 PM

The project has a website:

http://10thyamhillgaragerenovation.org/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:35 AM

I often wish Don Mazziotti was still in charge of the PDC.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:58 PM

PDC has been an complete failure for a few years now. Shame, they used to do good work. Now its demolition and dressing up parking garage at best.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 10:25 PM

On Prosper Portland [PDC] agenda for Wednesday:

Quote:
Action Item: Approving the Terms of a Master Lease Agreement with the City of Portland Bureau of Transportation for the SW 10th and Yamhill Garage Retail Space and Authorizing Prosper Portland to Enter into Sub-Lease Agreements

Report 17-24
Resolution 7240

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:00 AM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The city should sell the garage with a condition of the sale to redevelop instead of the current garage use. Portland should then use the Prosper Portland contribution + sale proceeds to contribute to affordable housing on the site and in the neighborhood...and/or some to TriMet to build/renovate/streamline their downtown blue/red stops.

On that same topic, the city should sell off their Smart Park garages anyway with conditional sales for near future redevelopment on the site. If they really believe that Smart Park garages are still necessary, they can purchase underground parking with sale proceeds in those new developments.

The two garages on each side of Pioneer Mall (along with Pioneer's inward focus) suck the life out of what would be a lively stretch in downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The city should sell the garage with a condition of the sale to redevelop instead of the current garage use. Portland should then use the Prosper Portland contribution + sale proceeds to contribute to affordable housing on the site and in the neighborhood...and/or some to TriMet to build/renovate/streamline their downtown blue/red stops.

On that same topic, the city should sell off their Smart Park garages anyway with conditional sales for near future redevelopment on the site. If they really believe that Smart Park garages are still necessary, they can purchase underground parking with sale proceeds in those new developments.

The two garages on each side of Pioneer Mall (along with Pioneer's inward focus) suck the life out of what would be a lively stretch in downtown.
Personally I love the Smart Park garages just because of their cheap rates. It is nice to come downtown, park for the same cost a metered street spot would cost, and not have to worry about getting a ticket. Granted I am also one of the few lucky ones that can park downtown for free regardless.

As for the Pioneer Mall, I wouldn't be saying that it is sucking the life out of a what would be a lively stretch, unless you are just referring to that there are no outward facing shops along those blocks on the mall side. Inside the mall it is pretty dead, I really wonder how any of the businesses in it can stay afloat. It wouldn't shock me to see the buildings one day get converted in a food cart, flex office space kind of building. They already rent an entire floor to WeWorks.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:34 PM

Still lipstick on a pig, and demolition would be so much better, but at least it's a visual improvement.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The garage at 10th and Yamhill is pretty packed on a daily basis. I know that when I drive into the office after morning meetings offsite, I'm easily up to the fifth or sixth floor any day of the week.

Parking solutions are definitely needed even as the city tries to reduce car use. I'm glad that these are publicly held to lower parking rates, as they could easily ask for and get higher rates.

I'd be happy to see these replaced with below grade parking and buildings above, but removing them wholesale would be damaging to downtown and scare off people who already are on the fence about coming downtown because it is too complicated.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
The garage at 10th and Yamhill is pretty packed on a daily basis. I know that when I drive into the office after morning meetings offsite, I'm easily up to the fifth or sixth floor any day of the week.

Parking solutions are definitely needed even as the city tries to reduce car use. I'm glad that these are publicly held to lower parking rates, as they could easily ask for and get higher rates.

I'd be happy to see these replaced with below grade parking and buildings above, but removing them wholesale would be damaging to downtown and scare off people who already are on the fence about coming downtown because it is too complicated.
If I remember correctly, it is the city's most popular garage out of all their SmartParks.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Popular Sneaker Shop Relocates From Chinatown to Portland’s Ritzy West End—on the City’s Dime

The soaring windows at 107 NW 5th Ave. in Old Town/Chinatown reveal only forlorn, empty floors where the retailer Compound Gallery operated until the end of October.

"After 18 years, we're making moves from Chinatown to downtown," reads a sign in the window.

For sneakerheads and trendsetters, Compound Gallery offered limited-edition shoes and cool streetwear, bringing fashion-conscious shoppers to a neighborhood that has struggled with boarded-up storefronts and street crime.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:47 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Now, Compound Gallery operates in a temporary space on Southwest 10th Avenue as it awaits completion of a permanent home in new, subsidized, street-level retail space in the city-owned SmartPark building at Southwest 10th Avenue and Yamhill Street.
Why is that space subsidized? SW 10th & Yamhill? That's the old Real Mother Goose spot, but rehabbed. It'll be very high foot traffic with MAX at its doorstep, and that's before the new Ritz tower goes up. And it's subsidized? For them, that's an opportunity of a lifetime location.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:23 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Why is that space subsidized? SW 10th & Yamhill? That's the old Real Mother Goose spot, but rehabbed. It'll be very high foot traffic with MAX at its doorstep, and that's before the new Ritz tower goes up. And it's subsidized? For them, that's an opportunity of a lifetime location.
Prosper is reducing rents to encourage minority business owners to open up businesses in their spaces. Basically trying to encourage diversity, but that doesn't prevent an established minority owned business from taking advantage of the reduced rents at high traffic locations. Plus it sounds like Compound was looking to move anyways with their lease come up and getting tired of their location.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
that was a shit retail location. time will tell if it will remain a shit location after the remodel. also - look at retail @ other MAX stops. not a harbinger of massive sales, for sure.

subsidies may have been the only way to lease it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:59 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
that was a shit retail location. time will tell if it will remain a shit location after the remodel. also - look at retail @ other MAX stops. not a harbinger of massive sales, for sure.

subsidies may have been the only way to lease it.
Was The Real Mother Goose subsidized? They were there for many years, and that was before the upgrade of a rehab that should make the space more valuable, not less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Prosper is reducing rents to encourage minority business owners to open up businesses in their spaces.
I understand that, but as the article points out, Compound is receiving subsidies to move out of an area that needs subsidies to bring businesses in.

Maybe it's just bad luck that the subsidized rent downtown is going to a business that was bringing life to Old Town, which needs help far more than downtown does.

Don't get me wrong... I live downtown. I love downtown. I'm always glad to see businesses that will bring foot traffic open up downtown. It's just sad to see Old Town losing a business that's needed far more there.

Eventually, I have to believe Old Town will become a booming neighborhood. I honestly thought it was going to happen over a decade ago, even before Uwajimaya became a possibility (which obviously didn't happen). That part of town has so much potential, but it desperately needs development and some catalyst businesses. They're losing one.

Oh well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland