HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I never said a 2,000 foot skyscraper. Just one in the 1,400 - 1,600 line or more. Besides, we're going off topic. 1 WTC won't be the tallest in NYC forever. There will be a tower that will succeed it. Maybe not right at the minute this tower is finished,but in the future, we'll be seeing a proposal pass through.
Why, in detail or in your opinion, would it be impossible? I mean, as population grows, if there is no room, buildings will simply be - those that are too small or overly big for their respective property size - torn down to make for bigger, better and more economically efficient buildings. USA example - Chicago; international example - Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
CNN showed the World Trade Center in the background when they were filming peoples reactions on Whitney Houston's death! If anyone has snapshots of it, please post them!
Okay, I understand you want to see 1WTC, to which there are more than enough pictures on here for that - but this is kind of sick. Really! And with a smiley face at the end?!?!?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:41 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Why, in detail or in your opinion, would it be impossible? I mean, as population grows, if there is no room, buildings will simply be - those that are too small or overly big for their respective property size - torn down to make for bigger, better and more economically efficient buildings. USA example - Chicago; international example - Hong Kong and Tokyo.
My comment didn't really say that there would be no buildings going up in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I agree. If a tower was built taller than 1wtc, and 1wtc already has all the equipment up there, why would you waste the money on taking it down and putting it on another building. It would make more sense that the observation deck would go on the taller building, and it would have better views, so it works better for everyone. So that said, 1wtc will never have a roof observation deck
Then why waste money moving equipment off the ESB to go to 1 WTC? Not trying to be mean,but since this will happen, why not, when a new building is proposed, move broadcasting equipment from the WTC to that building?

Last edited by jd3189; Feb 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:04 AM

Sorry but a helicopter ride is not the same as taking in the view from an observation deck, I want to be able to pause, reflect, and take in the views with the air hitting my face from that great height without the hum and jarring of a helicopter. Plus, for many, the fun of ascending to the top of a landmark skyscraper and enjoying the outdoor views is a thrill in and of itself!! All I was suggesting earlier was that maybe they might modify the top someday, to include a small outdoor space of some kind. I mean stranger things have happened...Maybe it isnt in the cards, but I wish it were.. As to any other potential future skyscrapers in NYC, I wouldn't hold my breath, with the economy and political bickering and constant money issues they way the are, I'd say once 1wtc is finished, it will likely be the tallest building in NY for a very long time! So I'd say unless modifications are made, the indoor deck at the top of 1wtc will probably be the highest views available in the city.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:06 AM

Last edited by steveve; Feb 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd318/9 View Post
Then why waste money moving equipment off the ESB to go to 1 WTC? Not trying to be mean,but since this will happen, why not, when a new building is proposed, move broadcasting equipment from the WTC to that building?
Not all companies on the Empire State Building moved to the World Trade Center before 9/11. The same scenario will happen here. Not everyone will move down there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Sorry but a helicopter ride is not the same as taking in the view from an observation deck, I want to be able to pause, reflect, and take in the views with the air hitting my face from that great height without the hum and jarring of a helicopter. Plus, for many, the fun of ascending to the top of a landmark skyscraper and enjoying the outdoor views is a thrill in and of itself!! All I was suggesting earlier was that maybe they might modify the top someday, to include a small outdoor space of some kind. I mean stranger things have happened...Maybe it isnt in the cards, but I wish it were.. As to any other potential future skyscrapers in NYC, I wouldn't hold my breath, with the economy and political bickering and constant money issues they way the are, I'd say once 1wtc is finished, it will likely be the tallest building in NY for a very long time! So I'd say unless modifications are made, the indoor deck at the top of 1wtc will probably be the highest views available in the city.
There isn't enough room to add an observation deck on One World Trade Center. Once again the mast is extremely narrow. 20 feet at best, and the roof is jammed with telecommunication rings. There isn't room. Again maybe it can happen on another tower, but not this one.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:48 AM

I checked it up and I found that the CN Tower has an observation deck at 1,400 feet. The highest observation deck in the world is in the Guangzhou (Canton) TV & Sightseeing Tower which is at 1,600 feet. An observation deck on One World Trade Center's telecommunication rings would easily match the height of the one on the CN Tower, but again that is impossible since the equipment up there would prevent that, but there is another building in NYC that could be completed and have an observation deck in the 1,400 feet zone and that would be the Metropolitan Life North Tower. It can support 110 floors and it can easily break the 1,400 feet mark in roof height, and the mast can easily reach 1,600 to 1,700 feet, but that is for another topic not here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:19 PM

Yeah an outdoor observatory atop One World Trade Center (which was originally planned) would have been nice but what can we do the Port Authority sucks, they need to put all that mechanical equipment up there plus the spire. I think spending nearly $4 Billion on this tower is ridiculous. I guess if this is what it takes to make it strong then it should be worth it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:47 PM

There was never an outdoor observatory planned.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
There was never an outdoor observatory planned.
Yes there was, from http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/Bu...Detail/439.php

"The new Freedom Tower will pay homage to the twin towers in several ways. The base of the Freedom Tower will be 200 feet square -- the same dimensions as the original towers. The observation deck will be at 1,362 feet: the height of World Trade Center Tower Two. The glass parapet will be at 1,368 feet: the height of World Trade Center Tower One."

They had to scrap the outdoor deck because of the mechanical equipment but there was an outdoor deck planned.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
CNN showed the World Trade Center in the background when they were filming peoples reactions on Whitney Houston's death! If anyone has snapshots of it, please post them!
Well we have plenty of shots already of the WTC mostly construction and some festive events (such as last week's Superbowl parade for the Giants)...is it really nercessary to ask people to post pics when they are connected to a tragic event such as Whitney's death??

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Well we have plenty of shots already of the WTC mostly construction and some festive events (such as last week's Superbowl parade for the Giants)...is it really nercessary to ask people to post pics when they are connected to a tragic event such as Whitney's death??
Umm.. Yes?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:49 PM
🇺🇸🏫🏢🏣🏦

Quote:
Umm.. Yes?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:53 PM
Bionic Boogie

on a very frigid morning....

DSC_5476 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
on a very frigid morning....

DSC_5476 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
New steel for Four World Trade Center Carlos. It's on your right .

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Umm.. Yes?
People, we don't need shots of the tower from that...You already know what it looks like from pretty much every single angle in the city, even NJ. Don't even bother I mean just be respectful of her and don't worry about what's in the background.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:03 PM

I hope they get going on the glass again soon. It still blows my mind just how much glass is on 1 WTC now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda View Post
I hope they get going on the glass again soon. It still blows my mind just how much glass is on 1 WTC now.
Agreed..Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:59 PM

Well, I guess an outdoor observation deck just isnt in the cards for 1wtc...Ah well, was just wishful thinking on my part I suppose..Maybe we can hope that some maintenance worker who is allowed on the roof will take video and post it on youtube so we can all enjoy that outdoor view once more...And I stand by what I said earlier, about 1wtc probably being the tallest building in NY for a long time to come...With things as they are, and nothing ever getting done in politics in the way of approving large-scale projects, I think 1wtc may be the tallest building in the city for a long long time once finished...It seems that in America now, there is just not a major effort to build world-famous skyscrapers anymore, like we once did. Maybe it's the lousy economy, turf-wars, political gridlock, who knows...Eh well, at least we will have 1wtc which will be a nice tribute to reclaim the skyline of NY. We are definately lucky that it is being built and almost finished! Btw hope glass facade installation picks up again soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive