HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:15 PM

That wall of the old fire station is really begging for a mural. It would be nice if they could cut an opening in it too so the cafe could spill out into the plaza.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:01 PM

Modera Glisan was approved yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
That wall of the old fire station is really begging for a mural. It would be nice if they could cut an opening in it too so the cafe could spill out into the plaza.
The plaza will remain in separate ownership, and the two ownership groups haven't been able to come to terms around allowing access (mostly due to liability concerns).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 12:06 AM

Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The plaza will remain in separate ownership, and the two ownership groups haven't been able to come to terms around allowing access (mostly due to liability concerns).
Looking quickly at the most recent drawings it seems they've added an opening from the fire house to the plaza, along with some outdoor seating (within the Mill Creek property lines).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:28 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission.

Looking quickly at the most recent drawings it seems they've added an opening from the fire house to the plaza, along with some outdoor seating (within the Mill Creek property lines).
Regarding these two large developments on NW Glisan between NW 14th and 15th, there have been very significant and positive changes resulting from the design review process. The half-block proposal south of NW Glisan, in my opinion, changed dramatically and positively in order to be approved by the Design Commission, but I was dismayed that the parklet at NW 15th and Glisan was part of the plan. I hated the possibility that we would end up with a permanent under-utilized parklet next to a freeway onramp.

Then along came the different proposals for the block north of NW Glisan. Like others, I was disturbed that the fire station (Touché) was to be demolished. But then later I was elated when a new 3/4 block proposal came with the promise that the firehouse would be saved and renovated. Design revisions resulting from Design Review have continued to significantly improve the project. Now we will get pedestrian access and activity on all sides of the firehouse, we will get storefronts facing these pedestrian areas, we will get a unified design of the pedestrian areas and the parklet on NW 15th and Glisan, and we will get new openings in the east and west sides of the firehouse, helping to assure more active uses in the pedestrian spaces. I am hopeful that these two projects will create a synergy that will be a positive example for other adjacent projects in the city.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:44 PM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:48 AM

I'm not a fan of the building, it has a clunky looking top and just kinda reminds me of the old Holiday Inn across the river (now the Hotel Eastlund). But I like the preservation of the historic Touche / firehouse building, and the little pedestrian alley created as a result.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:09 PM

It feels like they ignored the existing building as much as possible and then turned it back on in their models for the final render. There is no response to the building at all, and it makes it look like an alien sitting in the modern courtyard. That's really too bad.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 9:37 PM

It’s also kind of backwards ... The plaza should be facing east, towards the neighborhood, not towards the freeway on-ramp. Touche already has a patio on the east side; no one is going to want to rent apartments on that side anyway, but it would be perfect for a plaza.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
It feels like they ignored the existing building as much as possible and then turned it back on in their models for the final render. There is no response to the building at all, and it makes it look like an alien sitting in the modern courtyard. That's really too bad.
spot on. it would have been interesting to see what could be done to incorporate the firehouse more into both the architecture and programming of this site. as it is now it appears that neither were considered very highly.

sad.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
It’s also kind of backwards ... The plaza should be facing east, towards the neighborhood, not towards the freeway on-ramp. Touche already has a patio on the east side; no one is going to want to rent apartments on that side anyway, but it would be perfect for a plaza.
Mill Creek don't own the plaza site.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:48 AM
A before E

I am actually pleased with this building, first for saving the old firehouse is a major win for Portland. As for the design, it is a decent infill building, plus I like the geometry of the building, it is pleasing to look at. I am wondering what that grey building on the right side in the first picture is? With all the baby stuff I have been doing, I haven't had any time to venture outside of my normal places to see anything new that has been going on. I feel like brand new neighborhoods have been constructed in the past couple years that I don't even know about. It is amazing how fast Portland is changing when you don't have the free time to go out and notice all the changes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am wondering what that grey building on the right side in the first picture is?
1430 NW Glisan, approved in August. The building permit is currently under review I believe.

The parklet adjacent to the firehouse is a part of the 1430 project.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:47 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland