HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Fairbanks Court in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:11 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool CHICAGO | 560 N. Fairbanks | 787' Official / 752' Roof | 58 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

here's another big one for chicago. the title and the rendering pretty much say it all for now, but there's a bunch more info in the Newcityskyline story linked below.

Learn more about the building

Image provided by BVictor

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 19, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:22 AM

Curious to see a more detailed rendering. This seems to follow a very common Chicago form these days, with a 50-100ft parking podium then a slender tower with balconies. The article suggests some metal columns with glass curtainwall, so maybe we'll get something in the vein of Trump (the 20th floor setback certainly harkens to it). The screen and spire on top are curious, could be elegant or could just be tacky like those atrocious spires on Grand Plaza.

As spoiled as we are in Chicago, I still will gladly take another 787 footer why not add just 13 more feet to the spire for a round 800?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:22 AM
THAT Guy

Mandarin Oriental Jr.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:30 AM
Starchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Mandarin Oriental Jr.
Funny that what I thought come to find out it's the same architect
Here at JMH Architectural Group no task is too complicated. From the simplest rendering to the most complex urban plan, our world-class team of draftspeople, artists, designers and architects never say "I tried that it didn't work".

JMH Architectural Group. Where I GIVE UP is never an answer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:31 AM

If I have my bearings right, this building will go between 600 N Fairbanks and the Fairbanks at City Front Plaza.

Isn't there a parking lot at the site right now?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:41 AM
BANNED

^ Yes, I looked at the street adresses while I was down there the other day and it looks like 560 is a parking lot, I checked it on Google maps and it showed up as the parking lot in question as well.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:48 AM

The article at NewCitySkyline also says there's a "Diggitys hot dog stand" in addition to the parking lot.

I've been by the site a number of times before, and can't remember a hot dog stand for the life of me.

Guess my memory's even worse than I thought.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:57 AM
BANNED

I just looked closer on google earth and there is definately some sort of small square structure in the northwest corner of the parking lot that could definately be a hotdog stand.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 6:29 PM
Onkel Dagobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1
The article at NewCitySkyline also says there's a "Diggitys hot dog stand" in addition to the parking lot.

I've been by the site a number of times before, and can't remember a hot dog stand for the life of me.

As others have pointed out there is indeed a hot dog stand. I ate there two times and the reason why I stopped the first time was due to the interesting name. Food isn't anything exciting, so I hope this projects goes through.
Across the street you can see the Helmut Jahn's 600 N. Fairbanks

Here is a picture from emporis:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 7:16 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Quote:

Uh oh,

I'm thinking Honte might object to the defamation of one of our glorious city's frankfurterian icons.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Mandarin Oriental Jr.
My very first thought.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:46 AM

Good location... always nice to add to the sig.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:07 AM

MO Jr. will be standing opposite Helmut Jahn-designed glass tower at 600 N Fairbanks. In few years, the Streeterville area will be as dense as Times Square.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:23 AM
Wow, only I have a face?

Score another one for the Second City. I moved away two years ago and can't wait to see all this construction when I go back.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:29 AM

The article mentions that the hotel will be "5 star".

Should folks be concerned that too many luxury hotels might be in current development?

Luxury hotels are part of:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Are there really that many additional visitors to Chicago looking to spend $500+/night on a hotel room?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 4:26 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Should folks be concerned that too many luxury hotels might be in current development?

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Are there really that many additional visitors to Chicago looking to spend $500+/night on a hotel room?
Don't forget Canyon Ranch Living - that hotel will no doubt be 5-star as well. And actually, Intercontinental, if it happens will probably be many years off - but at any rate, the current plan calls for a net reduction in number of hotel rooms...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Here is the parking lot. I have a diggity dog somewhere just need to find it...if you look real close along the top of the cars in the parking lot you can see a one story building with a little read roof....that is it. This is looking West across Fairbanks.

And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.

Last edited by Chicago3rd; Oct 25, 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.
Sorry - having a brain freeze. What's 355?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 10:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

This got me thinking - it's not so much regular luxury hotel rooms that concern me. The downtown hotel market, including the luxury segment, is as strong as its ever been. I think that there is a window that's open right now that could accomodate a good deal of new supply in all of the moderate to super-luxury segments of the market. What continues to concern me, however, is that developers are continuing to view condo-hotels as viable in Chicago. I know I've mentioned this before, but condo-hotels are going to be a very thin market and IMO will only work in a few very select cases. Otherwise, some of these developers need to stop being so lazy and go to the capital markets for traditional hotel financing sources, which by the way are fairly abundant right now...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

^I wouldn't put Aqua in the same group as the others (and has been mentioned, it looks like Intercontinental won't get built, at least for a loooooong time). Aqua is going to essentially be the Fairmont, with an increase in rates of about 25%. It might be nice, or even luxury, but not on par with true 5-star hotels at Trump, Waterview (Shangri-La) and the Mandarin. Also, the Elysian is a brand new brand...holding itself out as "5-star", but not so certified. Maybe it will, maybe it wont.

And this new tower looks pretty cool so far, but I would imagine the views at 550 St. Clair and 600 N. Fairbanks will be adversely impacted...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive