HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:38 AM

[Dartmouth] Founders Corner | ? m | 5 fl | Completed

I could have sworn we had a thread for this!?
This is probably my favorite project under construction right now in the entire city. It's good architecture and will really add something to the long forgotten downtown of Dartmouth.

Founders Corner

Founders Corner will be located at the intersection of Ochterloney and Wentworth Streets, a prime location
in the Dartmouth Waterfront District. Building facades will retain design characteristics from former site occupants. The Lodge based on the Georgian design of the old Masonic Lodge will anchor the corner entrance.
The Constabulary to the left of the corner is
inspired by the Art Deco design of the former Dartmouth Police Station and to the right of the corner is The Lahey Building, a composite design of the 19th commercial buildings in Halifax/Dartmouth and Boston, Massachusetts.

The rear of the building is comprised of The Barracks remembering the old British Blockhouse Barracks which once traversed that area.
The design of the Barracks is clean and purposeful offering spacious layouts with lots of sunlight.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:44 AM

I went by the site the other day and took some pics. I believe the building to the left is separate, i think i heard something about a restaurant being built next to the Interlude. It also looks like there's gonna be a crane going up for this very soon! We havn't had a crane up in downtown Dartmouth since Alderney Landing was built almost 20 years ago!

Restaurant going up beside founders corner

Back of site

Crane base

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:46 AM

Since I'm no longer working in Queen Square, I don't get to see the progress on this one very often. Thanks for sharing the pictures, it's coming along quite well I see.

The thing I like most about this development is how different it is from all the other run of the mill faux-heritage buildings. This one actually makes an attempt at matching the heritage which was unfortunately torn down to make room. I love how the Constabulatory strongly resembles the old police station, one of my favourite buildings in downtown Dartmouth. The idea of making each "wing" of this development look like a completely separate building, different architectural styles, different roof lines, and even different colours is brilliant. I love it. Even the Union Jack on top is a great touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
We havn't had a crane up in downtown Dartmouth since Alderney Landing was built almost 20 years ago!
Not being picky, but Alderney Landing was built in 1999; Alderney Gate was built in 1990

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
The thing I like most about this development is how different it is from all the other run of the mill faux-heritage buildings. This one actually makes an attempt at matching the heritage which was unfortunately torn down to make room. I love how the Constabulatory strongly resembles the old police station, one of my favourite buildings in downtown Dartmouth. The idea of making each "wing" of this development look like a completely separate building, different architectural styles, different roof lines, and even different colours is brilliant. I love it. Even the Union Jack on top is a great touch
I'll have to wait until I see it finished. I have yet to be impressed by any faux-heritage building in these parts -- Bishop's Landing, the Marriott Residence Inn, Neptune, The Tower at St Mary's. Most end up looking bogus and less attractive than something modern designed for the same site. The jury will remain out for a while.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:08 AM

i agree with all ur faux heritage selection except bishops landing!? I wouldnt call that faux heritage. It's modern, but takes cues from the heritage. I think its awesome myself!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Most of the faux heritage is just kind of bland. Not terrible, but nothing amazing. That being said, I don't think every side street in the city needs half a dozen apartment buildings trying to make a bold architectural statement. In most cases it's fine if they just blend in, as long as something new and innovative is going up somewhere (downtown).

Bishop's Landing is okay but it's easy to imagine something much better given the scale and budget of the development. I think it will also look better when there big parking lot next door disappears.

Generally I'm not a fan of single developments made to look like multiple buildings but in this case I guess it makes a bit more sense since they are preserving the building on the corner.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:13 AM

But.. the building on the corner is already gone

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:14 AM
Unregistered Loser

Looks like this pic was taken from SimCity or The Sims...:

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:48 AM

[QUOTE=hfx_chris;3336424]But.. the building on the corner is already gone[/QUOTE

Yes, unfortunately they had issues with trying to incorporate the existing structure into the new building. I can't quite remember what those issues were though? Maybe something to do with the old foundation. So they are just going to rebuild it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 5:31 PM

I just looking out my window this morning and was pleasantly surprised by this view! Ill take some more closer pics later when i get a chance.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 5:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Good sight to see. Hopefully this is just the initial signs of the revitalization of downtown Dartmouth. But until I see Kings Wharf start to go up, I don't think reality will hit .

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's an interesting vantage point. I can't quite make out what's going on near the horizon, which would be the Clayton Park area. What is that blue bit? The top of a building?

You should make a panorama of the view from your window.

In a way this kind of development is better than a King's Wharf style development since it is integrated in with older buildings. King's Wharf, if built, will be a kind of destination by itself and unless the older parts of downtown Dartmouth become more interesting there won't be much reason to visit them. In fact, there may be less of a reason to go there because of what King's Wharf offers.

Of course, this single development is much too small to make a significant difference around all of the downtown Dartmouth area but it's one of a few that have gone up in the past few years and more will probably be built in the future. Put a dozen or so of them together and the effect is significant.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 11:36 PM

Great shot. I saw them trucking in sections of that crane on flatbeds the other day.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 9:55 PM

So here's ANOTHER reason why development is so slow in this town -- HRM actively working against it. Check this out:

http://www.thecoast.ca/Articles-i-20...ner_flubs.html

Quote:
Practices used in its construction cast still more doubts on Founders Corner's "green" claim. As an older building at the site was demolished and carted away, the waste hauler, Marinus Verhagen Enterprises of New Glasgow, violated Halifax's construction waste bylaw. The bylaw requires that all construction waste be processed through an approved facility within the HRM, insuring that 75 percent of all local construction waste is recycled.

Verhagen had been found in violation of the bylaw once before, says Jim Bauld, the city's solid waste manager, so officials were watching the firm carefully. Sure enough, a bylaw enforcement officer followed a Verhagen tandem truck as it hauled waste from Founders Corner to the HRM line, evidently on its way to an unapproved landfill in New Glasgow. Charged with violation of the bylaw, Verhagen pleaded guilty and paid a $4,600 fine.

However, this is not just a case of an errant demolition hauler. "We warned Nova New England ahead of time," says Bauld. "We told them we had concerns about this hauler, and we wanted them to make sure the waste was handled properly."

So when the Verhagen truck crossed the county line, city officials charged not just Verhagen, but also Nova New England and five holding companies associated with DORA Demolition with violation of the bylaw. Unlike Verhagen, the other companies pleaded not guilty. The case goes to court in April.

A tandem truck the size of Verhagen's will hold about 15 tonnes of waste. The single trip to New Glasgow, then, saved the company about $1,725 in tipping fees at HRM-approved recycling facilities. "I have no idea if they made more than one trip," says Bauld. "But it looks like they can undercut the price of their competitors, even with the added fuel costs. That savings gets passed along to the developer." Nova New England did not return a call for comment.
So not only do the garbage police secretly tail trucks all over HRM (what a crime buster!!!) but then they go ahead and harass the developer. Cripes.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:43 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
So here's ANOTHER reason why development is so slow in this town -- HRM actively working against it. Check this out:

http://www.thecoast.ca/Articles-i-20...ner_flubs.html

So not only do the garbage police secretly tail trucks all over HRM (what a crime buster!!!) but then they go ahead and harass the developer. Cripes.
Sounds crazy; the driver should tell them he was taking the scenic route.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 6:23 PM

Don't know if it's connected to this project or not, but I drove past the site today and a crew was busy directly across the street demolishing a building that was there. Can't tell you what it was because it was pretty much gone when I was there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 3:06 AM

Across Ochterloney, or across Wentworth?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Across Ochterloney, or across Wentworth?
Ochterloney.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 10:54 PM

Hmm, saw it today. I can't recall what was there. A house, but I don't know if it was used for anything, or just a private dwelling.
The soup kitchen is next door.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 3:37 AM

yah, i saw that today too. If i get a chance tomorrow ill take a few pics. Founders corner has now reached street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth