HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 8:15 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | 701 Trinity (Block 87) | 428 FEET | 31 FLOORS | Resurrected

http://www.statesman.com/search/cont...09block87.html

Quote:
Episcopal Church buys downtown block for archives

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Episcopal Church has bought a block in downtown Austin where it plans to build a facility to house its national archives and provide space for meetings, exhibits, research and other purposes.

The church purchased the block, now a parking lot bounded by Seventh, Eighth, Trinity and Neches streets, from Jimmy Nassour, an Austin real estate attorney. The purchase price was $9.5 million, said Mark Duffy, director of the Archives of the Episcopal Church.
Quote:
The building probably will be five stories, with up to 70,000 square feet and a garage with some public spaces. Duffy said the start of construction is at least two years away.
Quote:
Duffy said the building will have some street-level retail.
Quote:
Because of state regulations to protect Capitol views, height on much of the block is capped at 75 feet, Duffy and Nassour said.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 17, 2015 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 2:10 PM

Interesting. Well, better than a parking lot, and probably the best we could hope for right next to ARCH.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 5:23 PM

I agree. Considering the height restriction and location, this is decent infill. Let's hope they spend some money on a good looking building.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 8:21 PM

I agree, I think that is a good fit for that area as it is now crafted.

I find it interesting that this facility will combine a tourist destination with a homeless facility. The two things many ( including me!!!!!) have bitched and moaned about being in conflict in that area.

These folks will take it headon! Wow! I think that is great.

Now that's practicing what you preach!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I agree, I think that is a good fit for that area as it is now crafted.

I find it interesting that this facility will combine a tourist destination with a homeless facility. The two things many ( including me!!!!!) have bitched and moaned about being in conflict in that area.

These folks will take it headon! Wow! I think that is great.

Now that's practicing what you preach!
Completely agreed! Love this project.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:11 PM

I kinda like the building. It looks good as long as they don't go to cheap on the facade.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 9:56 PM

I hate to be insensitive to the plight of others but the homeless traffic downtown is getting out of hand. I wish they would dispose of their trash. Instead I see them tossing their garage into the street all the time. I used to feel more compassion and give them money if I had it in my wallet but most just don't give a rats ass about their or all of our environments. So I no longer contribute unless it's to a charity that helps people in need.

No more money to you Mr. flash card joke guy, miss pregnant with 7 children lady, I just need a beer guy, and especially not for that guy: I'm a Vietnam vet but I look 40 years old with a stack of beer cans on the ground behind me. I did give sandwich to the guy who lives under the bridge next to Huts Hamburgers. I told him I would get him something if he didn't throw the trash on the ground. I be the trash ended up in Shoal Creek. I guess I should have been more specific.

Hopefully the Episcopal Church project has a positive impact as the area is looking pretty rough now!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
I hate to be insensitive to the plight of others but the homeless traffic downtown is getting out of hand. I wish they would dispose of their trash. Instead I see them tossing their garage into the street all the time. I used to feel more compassion and give them money if I had it in my wallet but most just don't give a rats ass about their or all of our environments. So I no longer contribute unless it's to a charity that helps people in need.

No more money to you Mr. flash card joke guy, miss pregnant with 7 children lady, I just need a beer guy, and especially not for that guy: I'm a Vietnam vet but I look 40 years old with a stack of beer cans on the ground behind me. I did give sandwich to the guy who lives under the bridge next to Huts Hamburgers. I told him I would get him something if he didn't throw the trash on the ground. I be the trash ended up in Shoal Creek. I guess I should have been more specific.

Hopefully the Episcopal Church project has a positive impact as the area is looking pretty rough now!
Last time I was downtown, a homeless guy told me we was hadn't eaten in over two days and it was "God's will" I'd give him cash for food. I said I'd get him a sandwich from the 7-Eleven on Guadalupe and he just looked at me as if I were an idiot and said he only wanted money. Surprise, surprise, he wasn't hungry at all, just wanted suck of the hard work of others for something other then food.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 3:55 AM

AUSTIN | Block 87 | FT | FLOORS

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...emium-referral

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Statesman
Church has development plans for downtown Austin block

Episcopal Church leaders are seeking a developer to partner with them on a mixed-use project on a prime downtown Austin block.

The New York-based Episcopal Church organization owns the site, known as Block 87, which it uses as a revenue-generating parking lot. As one of the last undeveloped city blocks downtown, church officials said it provides “a historic opportunity for development.” The block is bounded by East Seventh, East Eighth, Neches and Trinity streets.

By next year, church officials say, they hope to select a developer to team with on a project on the site, which has the potential for more than 600,000 square feet of development. Church officials envision a building with office, residential, and retail uses, along with a permanent home for the church’s archives.

Height on much of the block would be limited to 75 feet, to comply with rules aimed at preserving Capitol views. However, “there is great opportunity to include a substantial high-rise section for residences or office space in other areas of the block,” church officials said.
*Preliminary renderings

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 4:25 AM
Meh

EDIT: Urbannizer, I merged your thread with this older one we had on it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:34 AM

There should be stunning views of the Salvation Army and the ARCH from some of the south and southeast facting units! I like the idea that they still plan to house church archives on the site. It is something different for a downtown Austin building to house a historical research facility.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There should be stunning views of the Salvation Army and the ARCH...
Ha! Just what I was thinking.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 3:11 PM

Website launched to gain the interests of potential investors:

http://block87.com/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 7:14 PM
Honored Member

I confess to having some ancient hazy memories of that parking lot, for the obvious reasons. Anyone else?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:10 PM

Anyone hear anything about this one?

I have a pretty good view of this block from my work and kinda can't wait till someone takes it off the market. It's an eyesore as currently constituted.

Perhaps this is a candidate for the #nextcycle?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 9:46 PM

A little bit of news...

A CVC determination was filed for Block 87 today:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11599857

Another CVC determination was filed today for a surface lot on Lavaca. But that one is by the Capitol and won't be anything significant.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A little bit of news...

A CVC determination was filed for Block 87 today:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11599857

Another CVC determination was filed today for a surface lot on Lavaca. But that one is by the Capitol and won't be anything significant.
Can you please tell me where you find these?
And in the meantime... where along Lavaca?
THX

.... edit... and if I follow the link... I find out. Nevermind! thx

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
THX

Which block on Lavaca by the Capitol? Unlike you, I've never been able to figure out the online system by following those links.

Remember, CVCs aren't as heavy on the west side of the Capitol as they are on the east:

CVCs on Google Maps

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
THX

The address is 1400 Lavaca. The proposed project is for "140,000 SF office with structured parking."

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11599699

The best way to find this stuff is to run a search of the building permit site once a day - preferably late in the day after most of the permits have been filed. It only takes a couple of minutes to look through all of the permits. Austin has a tremendous amount of permits filed every day, so it's easy for stuff to get buried. This is the search link:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...er_permits.jsp

1. Set both the start date and end date to the current date
2. Enter the letter "a" as the search parameter in the "Project Name" field
3. Submit search
4. Then you can quickly scroll through the search results by checking the "Project Name" field for downtown addresses or key words/phrases like "capitol view" "hotel" "mixed use" or "crane" .

You can also pick up on things like movies and TV shows being filmed here. Today for instance, a film or TV show called "Urban Cowboy" filed for filming permits. I can't wait for that probable piece of crap.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 17, 2016 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 12:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That lot (Lavaca building) isn't obstructed by any CVC whatsoever, but it is within the Capitol Dominance Overlay, which affects height as well. 140k square feet isn't much, but it's more than what is there now.

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 17, 2016 at 10:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin