HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:53 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 9:06 AM
World Traveler

I like it, mostly. It doesn't seem to have any ground retail - it mentions amenity space, but not retail so far as I saw. Do any of the other developments across the street have any planned ground-level retail? Seems to me it'd be a missed opportunity if not - right by a metro station.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 1:02 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Everything fronting the roundabout seems to be street level interaction. That's a patio cafe at the end. This project is also the very furthest into the neighborhood of all the redevelopable parcels, so I think it was a wise development choice to keep all street level interaction the furthest away from the nearby single family homes as practicable. It is close enough that it isn't going to create actual dead space, but far enough away that it keeps the single family homes feeling more residential more of the time, as those home owners want and will likely continue to want. We'll get more VMU+retail in this area, but probably along MLK itself more likely.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 1:34 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Everything fronting the roundabout seems to be street level interaction. That's a patio cafe at the end. This project is also the very furthest into the neighborhood of all the redevelopable parcels, so I think it was a wise development choice to keep all street level interaction the furthest away from the nearby single family homes as practicable. It is close enough that it isn't going to create actual dead space, but far enough away that it keeps the single family homes feeling more residential more of the time, as those home owners want and will likely continue to want. We'll get more VMU+retail in this area, but probably along MLK itself more likely.
Makes sense. I didn't notice that cafe. Based on my very quick read of their website, I assumed the glass on the first floor was the "amenities" of which they spoke.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:53 PM

On Lonestar's website I noticed another eastside project called Cesar & Waller. Looking at that intersection I could see this going in any of the four quadrants aside from the SW which has a public library.

Anyone have more info on this?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
On Lonestar's website I noticed another eastside project called Cesar & Waller. Looking at that intersection I could see this going in any of the four quadrants aside from the SW which has a public library.

They were hoping to put this where the ECC Hotel was supposed to go but this would take over the church and Fast Folks on the SE corner as well. They requested a variance for 10' of additional height but were shot down. If I've heard correctly, they're trying to regroup and should present the NA with some sort of negotiation to acquire the variance.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

Lonestar has a website? Is that where he's been hiding?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:04 AM

The Brixton

Quote:
Long time east side bar The Brixton, has announced plans to develop their east 6th street property in to what’s been called “a monument to hip urban mixed-use development”.

The Brixton and it’s partner Condo Systems & Research (CSR) of Los Angeles has laid out plans to remove the structure built in 1908 and construct an 4 story mini-hotel & residences with one of the units reserved for affordable living. “Our vision is to capture that unique East Austin lifestyle that’s been praised by publications from Vice to Forbes and make it available for everyone” said Dermot McDylan of CSR.

This project is especially noteworthy because it also incorporates the launch of the first of many Wal-Mart Pop-Up Shops in Austin, a concept bodega shop catering to East Austin bar hoppers on the go. Plans are also underway for a walk up Starbucks mini-cafe. Focusing on the “Keep Austin Weird” vibe, the mini-tower will host a public off leash dog park on the rooftop complete with a doggy day spa to treat your furry friends to a relaxing day out on the east side. “What’s weirder than a dog getting a massage? That’s Austin for you!” McDylan was quoted.

The Brixton of course will continue to be an east side classic in the lobby of the mini-tower. CSR will be submitting plans to the City of Austin Friday April 1st.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Note the date they plan on submitting plans to the city.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Because nothing says "Austin" like Walmart and Starbucks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:05 PM

I'm leaning heavilly towards calling this an April's Fool prank. But there was that rumor a couple years ago about one of the small concept Walmarts opening up in East Austin.

EDIT: Read the article in Urbannizer's link. It's pretty funny.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Note the date they plan on submitting plans to the city.
Yeah, this has got to be satire. It reads like an Onion article. Also the Brixton's supposed partner Condo Systems & Research (CSR) of Los Angeles only turns up two hits on google, the link Urbannizer posted and this thread.

Edit: I found the non-photoshopped rendering. It's a boutique hotel in North West Africa.

http://darbyarchitects.co.za/portfol...outique-hotel/

Last edited by corvairkeith; Mar 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Yeah, this has got to be satire. It reads like an Onion article. Also the Brixton's supposed partner Condo Systems & Research (CSR) of Los Angeles only turns up two hits on google, the link Urbannizer posted and this thread.

Edit: I found the non-photoshopped rendering. It's a boutique hotel in North West Africa.

http://darbyarchitects.co.za/portfol...outique-hotel/

so good....well done! nice detective work!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:19 AM

Cielo moves ahead with innovative East Austin project with City Council's approval

Quote:
Cielo Property Group plans to break ground within the next three months on an office and residential condominium project at 310 Comal St. in Central East Austin.

Dubbed "The Foundry," the mixed-use development is full speed ahead now that Austin City Council unanimously approved a complicated affordable housing plan that Cielo proposed in partnership with Austin Habitat for Humanity.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 3:09 PM
Love Austin

This is an amazing project and will do wonders for the area. The office project will go on the site of the old Austin Habitat for Humanity ReStore (first in the U.S., now moved to S 1st and Ben White) and AHFH will look to do their first multi-family, for-sale product next door (many Habitat affiliates around the country have already moved fully to the multi-family model as density is the best option for affordability in high opportunity areas).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 9:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
The Brixton

...Wal-Mart Pop-Up Shops...a concept bodega shop catering to East Austin bar hoppers on the go. Plans are also underway for a walk up Starbucks mini-cafe. Focusing on the “Keep Austin Weird” vibe....
This is brilliant satire because it bites deep into our shallow flesh. Not at all unique to Austin is the fact that we want it all, and we don't want to face the facts of our self-contradictory nature, nor the consequences thereof. Austin is human nature on steroids. I love it I hate it I love it I hate it --- the reason I'm spending so much time on Austin Skyscraperpage this afternoon is that I'm busily avoiding the decision I need to make in the next few days, that being whether I'm going to stay put or move to the Pacific NW. Currently, my internal constituents are polling at 30% "I love it", 30% "I hate it", and 40% "keep enjoying this shiraz and post another comment on SSP." Apparently my behavior can be effectively determined by a plurality, so there's no need for a runoff.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 9:47 PM
Honored Member

p.s. --- that Cielo project is amaaaazzzing! Easily my favorite of all the new eastside developments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 11:53 PM
Meh

Retention system and tie backs for Studio East.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...acks_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:31 PM

I know this project has been mentioned before, but I'm not sure if this rendering was posted. It's the Reserve at Springdale being developed by Ryan (Oracle campus):

http://www.ryancompanies.com/project...ingdale/pager/

Here's a construction update from two weeks ago from the project's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/thereserveatspringdale/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 12:42 AM
Meh

Elevations for the 5-story East 6th & Chicon Hotel.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...otel_PLANS.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin