HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's confirmed that the US will be going down to 10 host cities. Mexico and Canada has set their three each and they will not be cut. .
Unless something silly happens like Montreal deciding not to renovate the Big O at all or the City of Edmonton decides they can't use Commonwealth anymore...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unless something silly happens like Montreal deciding not to renovate the Big O at all or the City of Edmonton decides they can't use Commonwealth anymore...
Right, which is entirely hypothetical at this point. Earth could also be cataclysmically destroyed by an asteroid before 2026.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Right, which is entirely hypothetical at this point. Earth could also be cataclysmically destroyed by an asteroid before 2026.
Now that the deal is done it's extremely unlikely that any of the three cities will screw things up.

In fact, what's more likely to be the end result is that they'll ramp up what they proposed in the initial bid a little bit.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Even in the bizarre scenario where one of Edmonton/Toronto/Montreal have to drop out the BC Government has been adamant about not agreeing to host. As long as this NDP government is in power it won't be happening.

I'm not sure of the actual protocol for situations like this, so this is entirely spitballing, but in the event that one of the Canadian host cities did have to drop out, it would likely either happen that:
  • Those matches would be absorbed by other host cities, or;
  • The host city would be replaced by one of the other Canadian cities that submitted bids (Regina, Ottawa)
Considering the huge up front costs involved with becoming a WC host city for the sake of a measly 3 or 4 games, it would seem to make more sense to just redistribute the games to one of the other Canadian host cities if one of them has to drop out.

5 and 5 would be reasonable, and a couple of extra games would help justify the immense expenses with hosting in the first place.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:25 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Considering the huge up front costs involved with becoming a WC host city for the sake of a measly 3 or 4 games, it would seem to make more sense to just redistribute the games to one of the other Canadian host cities if one of them has to drop out.

5 and 5 would be reasonable, and a couple of extra games would help justify the immense expenses with hosting in the first place.
It's more important to distribute the games among as many cities as possible, CPL will be coast to coast quite literally so we need to give as much of our geography getting access to these games as possible. I would prefer having 4 cities with fewer games per venue.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Agreed. I'm of the same thought.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:37 PM

I don't really see any one of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton dropping out. Looks like all three have they're spot cemented and that it'll be American cities which will be cut.

I'm sure there are contingencies in place in the event of one of the Canadian cities calling it quits, but that is incredibly unlikely.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:39 PM

The question is, which Canadian city will be the one that gets 4 games?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The question is, which Canadian city will be the one that gets 4 games?
Probably Toronto given its higher scores in the FIFA host city criteria that I posted a page or two back.

We can have another page-long argument about Toronto versus Montreal, I guess, for those that feel strongly that Montreal should be hosting more games than Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:21 PM

The ten games for Canada and Mexico are not set in stone so I can only hope that both countries receive a few more games...preferably 5 more each...with some matches extending beyond the initial stages of the tournament.

As it currently stands, the cities will receive 3 games each and the party will be over in 10 days. Pretty lame considering the probable hundreds of millions each city/province will have to invest on things like a security, training facilities and transportation infrastructure...and with no guarantee from FIFA as to what the final costs to each city will be - this is the reason cities like Vancouver, Minneapolis and Chicago withdrew as possible hosts for this event. Having a few more games in each city would at least give the remote possibility of recouping their investments.

I would be particularly insulted by the proposal of ten games if I was Mexico...and some officials from there have stated as such. They should be hosting several more matches, including at least one of the latter elimination games at Azteca Stadium - the largest and most iconic soccer stadium in North America.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The ten games for Canada and Mexico are not set in stone
What makes you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
As it currently stands, the cities will receive 3 games each and the party will be over in 10 days.
Three games for two cities and four games for one.

World Cup is a pretty big party when the event isn't even on the same continent. It'll be exciting when it's so nearby for the duration of the event.

As has been stated multiple times throughout this thread: there's no way Canada could feasibly host World Cup 2026 on its own merit without spending billions upon billions. Via the United Bid, Canada gets its hand into the pie, gets the exposure of hosting, and has the opportunity to create a lasting legacy for soccer in the country.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
What makes you say that?
The organizing committee has said as much. I imagine it's more of a contingency plan for if Canada/Mexico lose a stadium, if anything. That way they don't have to jam extra teams into other cities and can instead add a new American city. It doesn't mean we're going to get more games.

Really, I think a split of 15/15/50 would have been a lot better. Ten games is simply too little to get genuinely excited over.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
What makes you say that?

Three games for two cities and four games for one.

World Cup is a pretty big party when the event isn't even on the same continent. It'll be exciting when it's so nearby for the duration of the event.

As has been stated multiple times throughout this thread: there's no way Canada could feasibly host World Cup 2026 on its own merit without spending billions upon billions. Via the United Bid, Canada gets its hand into the pie, gets the exposure of hosting, and has the opportunity to create a lasting legacy for soccer in the country.
It was stated in a few articles I read...too lazy to look them up, but they are out there. I'm wouldn't necessarily bet on a change in the number of games Canada gets though.

The excitement will be muted given the paltry number of games Canada receives...unless of course the number increases.

Never said Canada should host the games in their entirety but they should receive more games to mitigate what will be huge costs in hosting despite not building new stadiums. Mexico as well.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:31 PM

Is the Toronto vs Montreal passing match still going on?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
No, we’re just going to accept the fact that the bid book figures bear absolutely no relation to reality and leave it at that.

Place des Festivals holds 18k not 200k+
Jean Dapeau Aphitheatre 21k not 65k and not 100k+ for Grand Prix
That 40k can fit in Nathan Philips Square (without each person carrying another on their shoulders)
And that 160k will want to stand in the parking lot at Exhibition Place

Because making stuff up is fun!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Toronto v Montreal 2: Electric Boogaloo

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
It's confirmed that the US will be going down to 10 host cities. Mexico and Canada has set their three each and they will not be cut.

Calgary didn't submit to host in 2026. I'm guessing cities that submitted would be ahead of them in line, which would mean Regina & Ottawa.
Where was the source to confirm that Mexico and Canada each are confirmed to have three cities to host? Not doubting you, I just can't find the source when I look as news outlets still say it's completely up in the air.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:03 PM

Page 140 of the bid book

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Where was the source to confirm that Mexico and Canada each are confirmed to have three cities to host? Not doubting you, I just can't find the source when I look as news outlets still say it's completely up in the air.
Everything that's been put forward by the United Bid thus far, including the proposed schedule above, plans for three Mexican and three Canadian (along with ten US) host cities.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I don't follow soccer. I might watch if we hosted it like I did with the Women's WC a few years back. Getting a few games tossed our way is more an insult than anything. Can you imagine if England, South Korea, or Spain were treated this way? If you propose a joint WC you make it a proper joint bid like Japan and South Korea had.

This is akin to bobbing up to grab swag being thrown into the crowd at a sporting game. I couldn't think of anything more demeaning. It's a GIANT NO THANK YOU from me.
It's really pathetic, but unfortunately fitting for a country like ours in respect of sports. We just tag along with the US for every sport. Why would you expect anything different?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada